Sign in to follow this  
Catalina Maria

Vuc - Should he stay or go?

Vucevic is a valuable big and deserves to grow his skills with Vogel as coach. I think he can play alongside Ibaka or Biyombo. Foolish to trade a guy with such a cost effective contract, unless you can get a Paul George or Jimmy Butler, and you likely won't. Not right now.

we shouldn't dump him for pennies on the dollar but I also strongly believe he is no longer a center piece of the roster. He should be shopped, and hopefully we find a solid deal before the season because his value will be hurt with the diminished role he will have.

Well, the question is stay or go?

So as far as I am concerned, the question is to what value does stay or go lend itself to!!

Stay: we now boast (potentially) one of the most prolific scoring and lock down defensive front courts in the NBA...hands down!!!

Go: We lose one of the most prolific scoring young centers in the NBA, so it would demand at a minimum a trade for a Jimmy Butler, Clay Thompson, Andrew Wiggins type of SG!

So to sum this all up, unless Henny has another blockbuster up his sleeve, Nik stays at least until the trade deadline!

Which also means that we part ways with Dedmon and Smith as well! We are moving to the next level guy's.....just go with it!!!

smile_headbang.gifsmile_headbang.gifsmile_headbang.gif

My opinion, we're going to wait until mid/late July so we can prey on whoever panics in their free agency.

Vucevic's value isn't that high. Just like Kevin love's value took a significant hit.

We can get a role player for him. We can get picks for him. Or we can try to pull off next year's free agency today and go after one of the good expiring point guards.

My opinion, we're going to wait until mid/late July so we can prey on whoever panics in their free agency.

Vucevic's value isn't that high. Just like Kevin love's value took a significant hit.

We can get a role player for him. We can get picks for him. Or we can try to pull off next year's free agency today and go after one of the good expiring point guards.

Doesn't Boston still have a pick from Brooklyn? I'd take that.

I think we should keep Vucevic unless we can get an upgrade to our starting line up in return (most likely positions would be PG and SF). I would consider trading him for a boatload/multiple draft picks but the two teams with a stockpile are Boston and Philly, and both have centers under contract. So the only time I would trade him is for a player that is going to upgrade a starting position and make an impact for us. If we can't get that, then we may as well keep him on the roster because look at his cap figures:

2016/17: $11,750,000

2017/18: $12,250,000

2018/19: $12,750,000

That's a bargain under today's numbers. Ryan Anderson has gone to Houston for $20 million a year. Matthew Dellavadova has got almost $10 million a year. Jeff Green got $15 million a year from us. When you consider those three players, Dellavadova is a backup point guard, Jeff Green is an inconsistent forward, and Anderson is a stretch four that has spent the majority of his career coming off the bench - then it all honesty, paying Vucevic around $12 million a year is a bargain.

Can we make it work?

Of course we can. We can pair Ibaka and Vuc at PF and C, then use Biyombo off the bench. We can pair Ibaka and Biyombo, then use Vuc off the bench. This big three rotation is brilliant because any of the combinations can work. Ok, maybe Vuc won't be happy to go to the bench, but there's enough minutes to go around because Ibaka has averaged around 32 minutes in recent seasons, and Biyombo's career high is 27 minutes and he averaged 25 minutes in the play offs this year. That shows the need for a productive big to come off the bench and play major minutes, and Vuc can be that guy for us. He can average mid to late 20 minutes per game without much trouble because he can rotate in for Ibaka or Biyombo depending on what we go with. And at his current salary figures, $12 million for a potential starter or bench player playing major minutes is a bargain at today's cap figures. So if we can't get a legitimate upgrade to our starting line up, we should keep him.

keep him unless we can trade him for a borderline all star PG.

It is nice to have depth and injuries happen all the time.

Ibaka Biyombo Vucevic might be the best big man rotation in the league