Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

2016 NBA Orlando Summer League

The best ability is availability. Give me Nick Johnson over C.J Watson anyday. We save money and he's happy sitting at the end of the bench until he's needed.

Johnson keeps putting up the numbers though. I'm seeing everything he does, not really judging his point total, but the fact he scores well in each of these games should indicate he is capable. Marble is wildly inconsistent. But his game is scoring, he really has nothing else of value.

If Marble plays like that every game , he would be earning his spot, but he doesn't even put back to back decent games together.

Johnson would be an upgrade to the CJ we have seen so far. Also probably even better than the CJ we will see this year.

Johnson would in no way be an upgrade to CJ in my opinion. Also, if Marble isn't scoring he's still a long, athletic wing who plays capable defense.

Johnson would in no way be an upgrade to CJ in my opinion. Also, if Marble isn't scoring he's still a long, athletic wing who plays capable defense.

I respect your opinion and I'm not thrilled with Johnson, however CJ Watson is making 5,000,000 a year for the next 2 years and will be regulated to 3rd string PG. Last year as our primary backup PG and occasional SG he played about 20 mpg and averaged 4.3 points, 2.7 assists, and 2 rebounds per game shooting 34% for 2 and 29% from 3. He is also 32 years old and coming off a season were he missed 49 games due to injury.

Compare those numbers to Elfrid Payton who gets a lot of hate on these boards for his inability to shoot made 44% of his shots from 2 and 33% from 3.

I don't understand the love affair or desire to keep Watson as our 3rd string PG, DJ Augustine will be getting the bulk of the backup minutes and would also fill that veteran mentor role for Payton. In my opinion I feel we would be better off signing a hungry, young, cheaper backup with potential that wouldn't mind sitting on the bench most nights. Whether that's Nick Johnson or someone else, anyone but Watson.

I respect your opinion and I'm not thrilled with Johnson, however CJ Watson is making 5,000,000 a year for the next 2 years and will be regulated to 3rd string PG. Last year as our primary backup PG and occasional SG he played about 20 mpg and averaged 4.3 points, 2.7 assists, and 2 rebounds per game shooting 34% for 2 and 29% from 3. He is also 32 years old and coming off a season were he missed 49 games due to injury.

Compare those numbers to Elfrid Payton who gets a lot of hate on these boards for his inability to shoot made 44% of his shots from 2 and 33% from 3.

I don't understand the love affair or desire to keep Watson as our 3rd string PG, DJ Augustine will be getting the bulk of the backup minutes and would also fill that veteran mentor role for Payton. In my opinion I feel we would be better off signing a hungry, young, cheaper backup with potential that wouldn't mind sitting on the bench most nights. Whether that's Nick Johnson or someone else, anyone but Watson.

Go look at Watson's numbers with Indiana

But look what happened last year CJ was supposed to be the back up and as you mentioned he missed 40+ games and the team was left with Napier and that didn't go to well.

He's 32 and injury prone, he missed 24 games his last year in Indiana. He did shoot better but still only had a 2/1 assist to turnover ratio. I'm sure the Magic feel the same way, otherwise Augustin isn't signed.

Before cj got hurt, he wes playing well. I just think he never got back in the groove from missing so much time. He is someone who has played well under Vogel before so time will tell.

Napier was that guy and his lack of experience cost us the playoffs - when cj and payton were hurt. I would rather have a veteran.