Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

2016 NBA Orlando Summer League

We need to find Nick Johnson a spot. At least in the D league. He is filling up the stat sheet and getting great assist numbers with crappy options to pass to. Nice steals. He isn't flashy, but he gets it done. I remember that he only knock coming from Arizona was he wasn't really quick.

Unless Watson returns to form, he might be needed and looks to be a capable backup or 3rd PG. Marble is a mess.

Is there a Nick Johnson on another team you're talking about? Because the Nick Johnson on the magic is garbage

Zim with 10 and 10 today. With a good strength and conditioning program, and Vogel's knack for coaching bigs--I think Zimmerman is in a good position.

Zim with 10 and 10 today. With a good strength and conditioning program, and Vogel's knack for coaching bigs--I think Zimmerman is in a good position.

He's 19, highly recruited, and the 41st pick. Even if he ends up sucking he's worth having around for a couple years as a dice roll

He's 19, highly recruited, and the 41st pick. Even if he ends up sucking he's worth having around for a couple years as a dice roll

Oh you don't have to tell me that. He never should have fallen to us. I don't think he will end up sucking at all. I've said all along I'm gonna laugh when he ends up better then Sabonis.

Is there a Nick Johnson on another team you're talking about? Because the Nick Johnson on the magic is garbage

If decent scoring, 7 assists, low turnover rate, high steal numbers is garbage then I am not sure what is good. Especially when I am suggesting him as a D-leaguer or deep bench player. Shabazz Napier made the team and held on all season , and he is garbage for sure.

If I was suggesting him as more than a possible backup or someone worth a second look, then yeah that is ridiculous. But, Zimmerman puts up very similar stats in his few games and he is the steal of the draft. We got a player with a physical issue that will cause him to be dominated in the league, that is why he fell, not some genius scouting. Players who amount to anything from Summer League fill stat sheets. I might add that our current starter didn't perform like Johnson in SL.

But, to each their own.

If decent scoring, 7 assists, low turnover rate, high steal numbers is garbage then I am not sure what is good. Especially when I am suggesting him as a D-leaguer or deep bench player. Shabazz Napier made the team and held on all season , and he is garbage for sure.

If I was suggesting him as more than a possible backup or someone worth a second look, then yeah that is ridiculous. But, Zimmerman puts up very similar stats in his few games and he is the steal of the draft. We got a player with a physical issue that will cause him to be dominated in the league, that is why he fell, not some genius scouting. Players who amount to anything from Summer League fill stat sheets. I might add that our current starter didn't perform like Johnson in SL.

But, to each their own.

Bro, he's averaging 11 ppg on 30% shooting

Zimmerman is 19. if he was 24 doing this he would be garbage too.

So your main pitch for Nick Johnson is "not as bad of a player as summer league Payton".

Not doing a whole lot here to change my mind

Also he was pretty bad in the d-league last year

But, to each their own.

So I read where his elbow doesn't bend all the way because of a prior injury. Does that mean he can't straighten it or he can't bend it?

Bro, he's averaging 11 ppg on 30% shooting

Zimmerman is 19. if he was 24 doing this he would be garbage too.

So your main pitch for Nick Johnson is "not as bad of a player as summer league Payton".

Not doing a whole lot here to change my mind

Also he was pretty bad in the d-league last year

D-league stats really don't say a whole lot and for developmental players the goal is to find a way to be of use in the NBA. But, I feel he (Johnson) is clearly developing into a backup PG who can fit in this league, even if that is all he ever becomes. My pitch is that he has a positive impact on many aspects of the game. Maybe, he needs to take less shots, and when given better options to pass to I think he would curb the shooting and get even more assists. Payton is a low percentage shooter and if not for the drives he would be in that same range of shooting percentage. And he may be suffering from the same thing Payton did is SL and he is putting up better numbers.

I just feel that a young player who can do everything is good to have in a deep bench role. Above all Rob values versatility in players and that is what Johnson is and I think we should find a spot for him.

As far as Zimmerman, he is being highly praised, yet Johnson is playing his respective role equally or better than Z is playing his own role. Why not give Johnson credit ? Just being a little older is no reason to diminish what he has shown. Also, when you have arm or elbow injuries, that full range of motion never returns. You cannot fix it through any type of rehab. You need both arms to really be effective in the NBA, especially when fighting for rebounds against quality players, and the physicality of the league is much higher than he has ever experienced. I don't know enough about him to make other specific arguments, but honestly nobody goes unscouted these days. The difference is simply what one person sees versus what another person sees, and frankly people get lucky once or twice and suddenly they are great scouts. I don't see any reason to think we got a steal. Scoring is what most players care about in SL because it draws attention easily, but if your skills are rebounding and shot blocking, it's easy to put in decent numbers because the terrible shots that tend to be taken.

Just feel there are valid questions about that arm and think that his stats are a product of SL style play. I could be proven wrong and because my love for the team , even if I disagree over our apparent methods this off season (except on the coaching front, i am excited about that),I hope we found a diamond in the roughin Zimmerman. But, I have serious doubts.

Nick Johnson sucks you say? Can't even be a backup, huh?

19 again and 9 assists sure is terrible.

Did you watch the game?

Marble was the best player on the court. Maybe you think he should start?