Sign in to follow this  
HeHateMe

Welcome Serge Ibaka

Extension ? He will opt out 100% , nobody signs extensions with the new cap man ; we are looking at 100 mil contract at least ...

You were looking at that number for Oladipo too. I'd rather have Ibaka then Oladipo long term for the million reasons I've already said. Also, people who say we gave up 2 lottery pick, picking 11 in a weak draft isn't like some quality pick. Sabonis will be lucky if he's a rotational big. Dipo was the 2nd pick in one of the worse drafts of all time.

I would have loved this three to four years ago, but this is not a good trade. Ibaka benefits a LOT from having two of the highest scorers and best three point shooters in the league on his team. I just think this is going to be a mismatch fit where we expect him to be the same kind of player he was in OKC.

If we don't put a lot of pieces around him, this is going to be a Steve Francis-esque move.

This trade is amazing four years ago

Exactly my thought. There had better be a lot of pieces going in around him, because a lot of what he is and was are due precisely to who was playing with him. We don't have a KD or Westbrook on our team.

*I'm agreeing with Jec - somewhere penguins are skating in hell. :D

• Upvote 1

The question is, is Ibaka declining or did he have a bad couple of years trying to adjust to changing roles and will he bounce back in a Batum kind of way this upcoming season?

If you think the latter this might end up being a good trade for us. Now I'm slightly less emotional about the whole thing I'm more optimistic. If you get current Ibaka you still get a starter level player who can affect the game on defense and shoot. If he has a bounce back year he might be an All star. Yea we'll have to pay him but we're going to have to pay somebody at some point and if he has a great year this year then why not? Unlike most, I think I prefer him to play with Vuc rather than trade Vuc... but let's see what happens in Free Agency.

Calm your tits. Ibaka has been on the decline for the last three years. Funnily enough the same can be said about Oladipo. So maybe it isn't as bad as it seemed at first glance.

Ibaka's numbers may be declining but that doesn't mean he's worse as a player. It says more about his role with the Thunder changing. His numbers will go up here, without a doubt.

Anywho, I'm excited to have him!

Y'all watched Ibaka the last couple years? He thinks he's Dorell now.

based on his exit interview I think the thunder thought he was dorell more than he did.

Oladipo is beyond replaceable. We have 2 guy currently on the roster who can step in for him right now.

Oladipo is replaceable in that we have 2 guys who can play his position (assuming we re-sign Fournier). Oladipo's defense is not replaceable by anyone currently on the roster. This was a team with one good perimeter defender. Now it's a team without one. Oladipo's rebounding is not replaceable by any 2G on this roster. Oladipo's mid-range game game is not replaceable by any 2G currently on this roster. By replacing Dipo with Fournier or Mario, we upgrade from a serviceable shooter to a good one, at the expense of defense, rebounding, and offensive versatility. Those things are what Ibaka has to make up for. The last one he will not help with, even if he has the best year of his career. The second one he's only ever been average. Both Vuc and Gordon are better rebounders than Ibaka. Ibaka is at best a high level defensive big who can make open shots. We traded away a high level defensive wing who can score in a variety of ways, run an offense for short stints, and rebound well for a guard. I'm not seeing how Oladipo is replaceable at this point, much less beyond so.

I like Ibaka. I was excited when I heard we got him. But Dipo is not easily replaceable. That's just not true.