Sign in to follow this  
masazasm2

Skiles resigns

I think we're not the best run franchise but it's hard to argue with our repeated success over the last 25 years.

5 division championships and 2 conference championships in 27 years is considered "repeated success"?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Let's not even get into the fact that we gave Grant Hill $100 million, hired Billy Donovan only for him to make us look stupid, or how Howard made us look like fools.

• Upvote 1

Who in the last 3 drafts would you like Henny to grab instead? What other deal would of liked to see us get for Howard? Realistically. Last off season, we had Millsap thinking. Who else do you think would be a good fit WITH such a young team?

Timing is huge in the NBA. You can suck so bad, end up in the lottery in a weak draft. That's where rebuilding teams get their star player. We had a shot at Wiggins (is he even a star?) but the Cavs pulled one out of their arses and got ahead of us. We pulled one out of our arses twice to build a near dynasty.

Sh happens. Henny is doing the best he can with the cards he's dealt and one of those cards is nepotism from Martins. That can be a huge roadblock for GMs.

Give him complete faith and control, let him pick a coach he can communicate with confidence and trust and see what HE does. He's got cap room let's see what he does with that. Just hiring and firing GMs because timing wasn't on our side is stupid and unstable. We need some stability and consistency for once.

smile_creaturedance.gif

Well, I really can see your point, and would love to say that I trust Henny, but much of it has been lost, due to past (JV) and current coaching situations (SS) and a lack luster FA period like the signing of Channing Frye to 30 Million!! Now as far as young talent missed, for 1, I love the kid Josh Richardson (rookie) from the Heat, taken in the 2nd rd!!! I will list more but I have to sign off for now. Good post guy!

One more thing about Skiles... I can't believe he waited this long to resign. Very unprofessional.

Well he could have waited longer until nobody good was available. It's easy for us to sit here and judge the guy, but none of us really know what was going on behind the scenes (except maybe catman since his sister in law has a friend that has a fiance that knows a guy that is the tailor who does Rob's suits).

Well he could have waited longer until nobody good was available. It's easy for us to sit here and judge the guy, but none of us really know what was going on behind the scenes (except maybe catman since his sister in law has a friend that has a fiance that knows a guy that is the tailor who does Rob's suits).

^^^This (in bold type).

My gut feelings tell me that assistant coach Griffin played a bigger role in this. After all of this has been sorted out, I'm going to say, "I told you so!" I am not a Skiles supporter; however, I am waiting until all the facts come out. I just don't believe that Skiles went to Alex Martin behind Hennigan's back. I don't believe that Skiles wanted more control of anything.

Remember when we were on a winning stretch (when was it. . .up through last December?), Skiles had benched one or more players whom I think were starters. Elfrid Payton may have been one of them. I vividly remember back then, in a post-game interview with Skiles, when one of the media people asked him if benching the player(s) was sending a message. Skiles said, "No. I'm trying to earn the money I'm being paid." (Reminder: When Skiles made that adjustment, we were winning)

As some one said in an earlier post (I also read on the ESPN website), Tobias Harris was traded to free up cap space. Not because Skiles wanted to bring in two of his former players. Why would Skiles want Jennings and Ilyasova brought here when they were only going to be with the Magic for one season. That doesn't make sense to me.

Unlike Skiles, Griffin was a huge believer in Payton, and so is Hennigan. I believe that Hennigan or Martin told Skiles to lighten up on Payton. I, also, believe Skiles discussed/confided with Griffin everything that he wanted to do or was trying to do to make the team better, but Hennigan and/or Martin were not on the same page with him. So, Griffin started running back to Hennigan, reporting everything that Skiles said to him about the situation. It was Griffin who initially reported to management that Skiles was unhappy with the job.

I don't believe Griffin is the only culprit in all of this. I believe one or two players were unhappy about coming off the bench after they began the season as a starter. By the way, when someone from the media asked Oladipo his thoughts about Skiles' resignation, he did not act surprised. There was something in his response that led me to believe he and maybe some other players turned on Skiles. Remember, Skiles brought Dipo off the bench a few times (as opposed to starting). In my opinion, Oladipo wasn't too pleased about it.

Some of you have very short memories. What has happened to Skiles happened to Stan Van Gundy in Miami and then in Orlando.

Orlando could also look for some fresh meat among the assistant coaches angling for bigger gigs. ESPN.com's Kevin Arnovitz recently put forth a six-pack of intriguing candidates, including Portland Trail Blazers assistant Nate Tibbetts, who's highly regarded for his player development chops:

The Blazers' young backcourt praises him for his ability to communicate and provide players with cheat codes -- nuanced observations such as opposing players' tendencies or a play call from the other bench. They also appreciate that he'll gladly hop in a taxi with them at 3:30p.m. if they want to get in an early pregame workout at the arena. Tibbetts simply loves games, loves the preparation that goes into them and loves being in the gym with players.

It just so happens that Hennigan was in the Oklahoma CityThunder's front office when Tibbetts was the head coach of the team's NBA D-League affiliate, the Tulsa 66ers (now the Oklahoma City Blue),from 2009 to 2011.

http://bleacherrepor...coach-right-now

5 division championships and 2 conference championships in 27 years is considered "repeated success"?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Let's not even get into the fact that we gave Grant Hill $100 million, hired Billy Donovan only for him to make us look stupid, or how Howard made us look like fools.

Yeah, that's repeated success as that's more success than half of the league has had in the same timeframe. We're pretty much the average nba franchise.

^^^This (in bold type).

My gut feelings tell me that assistant coach Griffin played a bigger role in this. After all of this has been sorted out, I'm going to say, "I told you so!" I am not a Skiles supporter; however, I am waiting until all the facts come out. I just don't believe that Skiles went to Alex Martin behind Hennigan's back. I don't believe that Skiles wanted more control of anything.

Remember when we were on a winning stretch (when was it. . .up through last December?), Skiles had benched one or more players whom I think were starters. Elfrid Payton may have been one of them. I vividly remember back then, in a post-game interview with Skiles, when one of the media people asked him if benching the player(s) was sending a message. Skiles said, "No. I'm trying to earn the money I'm being paid." (Reminder: When Skiles made that adjustment, we were winning)

As some one said in an earlier post (I also read on the ESPN website), Tobias Harris was traded to free up cap space. Not because Skiles wanted to bring in two of his former players. Why would Skiles want Jennings and Ilyasova brought here when they were only going to be with the Magic for one season. That doesn't make sense to me.

Unlike Skiles, Griffin was a huge believer in Payton, and so is Hennigan. I believe that Hennigan or Martin told Skiles to lighten up on Payton. I, also, believe Skiles discussed/confided with Griffin everything that he wanted to do or was trying to do to make the team better, but Hennigan and/or Martin were not on the same page with him. So, Griffin started running back to Hennigan, reporting everything that Skiles said to him about the situation. It was Griffin who initially reported to management that Skiles was unhappy with the job.

I don't believe Griffin is the only culprit in all of this. I believe one or two players were unhappy about coming off the bench after they began the season as a starter. By the way, when someone from the media asked Oladipo his thoughts about Skiles' resignation, he did not act surprised. There was something in his response that led me to believe he and maybe some other players turned on Skiles. Remember, Skiles brought Dipo off the bench a few times (as opposed to starting). In my opinion, Oladipo wasn't too pleased about it.

Some of you have very short memories. What has happened to Skiles happened to Stan Van Gundy in Miami and then in Orlando.

"I'm going to wait until all the facts come out. Here's a conspiracy theory with no facts to support it."

Lol, you're a trip.

You're reading too far into this. Hennigan has a roster full of young players. Skiles wanted to leverage some of those young players into veteran so his coaching job would be easier. Hennigan said no. Skiles pouted. Hennigan traded Harris for two veteran players as an act of good faith. Skiles probably wanted to keep Jennings and Ilyasova and trade Payton and Hezonja and possibly Gordon (definitely not Oladipo and Fournier as it seems like Skiles liked them). Hennigan said no, we're not going to just dump these guys unless a trade comes in that makes sense. Skiles tried to get extra power to have authority over Hennigan. Martins said no. Skiles resigned.

That's the facts. It makes perfect sense. No conspiracy.

• Upvote 1

Orlando could also look for some fresh meat among the assistant coaches angling for bigger gigs. ESPN.com's Kevin Arnovitz recently put forth a six-pack of intriguing candidates, including Portland Trail Blazers assistant Nate Tibbetts, who's highly regarded for his player development chops

We better hire him as only an assistant to Vogel.

"I'm going to wait until all the facts come out. Here's a conspiracy theory with no facts to support it."

Lol, you're a trip.

You're reading too far into this. Hennigan has a roster full of young players. Skiles wanted to leverage some of those young players into veteran so his coaching job would be easier. Hennigan said no. Skiles pouted. Hennigan traded Harris for two veteran players as an act of good faith. Skiles probably wanted to keep Jennings and Ilyasova and trade Payton and Hezonja and possibly Gordon (definitely not Oladipo and Fournier as it seems like Skiles liked them). Hennigan said no, we're not going to just dump these guys unless a trade comes in that makes sense. Skiles tried to get extra power to have authority over Hennigan. Martins said no. Skiles resigned.

As you so accurately quoted me, "I'm going to wait until all the facts come out." In a court of law, anything someone says they heard is hearsay and cannot be used as fact. As jjgator said,"none of us know what happened behind the scenes."

What I have commented upon is strictly hearsay. I didn't just theorize what could have happened after waking up from a dream I had. I read a lot of articles on the web (sports websites) and theorized what may have happened. I also actually watched games to know that Skiles benched players or brought them off the bench. I also watched post-game interviews and pregame commentary.

You, Mr. Payton, is the only poster on this board who accuses another poster of playing the "conspiracy card." You act as though everything you post is fact.

In the comments that you make about some of the things that took place (See your quote above), you act as though you were there and witnessed or heard everything that was said from the time that Scott Skiles was hired as head coach until present. Now, unless you are a legitimate source and you are a member of the Orlando Magic's management or front office, then what you have heard is heresay. If what you heard or was told to you, it's called hearsay. (Be careful. . .I taught civil and criminal law)

So, if what you say is fact. . .Sources please!

By the way. . .I'm not going to say to you, "You're a trip". That's what children say to each other. I am an adult, and so are a number of others who post on this message board.

As you so accurately quoted me, "I'm going to wait until all the facts come out." In a court of law, anything someone says they heard is hearsay and cannot be used as fact. As jjgator said,"none of us know what happened behind the scenes."

What I have commented upon is strictly hearsay. I didn't just theorize what could have happened after waking up from a dream I had. I read a lot of articles on the web (sports websites) and theorized what may have happened. I also actually watched games to know that Skiles benched players or brought them off the bench. I also watched post-game interviews and pregame commentary.

You, Mr. Payton, is the only poster on this board who accuses another poster of playing the "conspiracy card." You act as though everything you post is fact.

In the comments that you make about some of the things that took place (See your quote above), you act as though you were there and witnessed or heard everything that was said from the time that Scott Skiles was hired as head coach until present. Now, unless you are a legitimate source and you are a member of the Orlando Magic's management or front office, then what you have heard is heresay. If what you heard or was told to you, it's called hearsay. (Be careful. . .I taught civil and criminal law)

So, if what you say is fact. . .Sources please!

By the way. . .I'm not going to say to you, "You're a trip". That's what children say to each other. I am an adult, and so are a number of others who post on this message board.

No need to get offended just because I disagree with your take

I'm not agreeing with anyone's conspiracy theories, but what you said was indeed no more fact than what she said.what she said seemed too nice to Skiles. What you said painted him like a crazy idiot. For what it's worth, the truth is probably something in between.