Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

LOL who wouldn't? I'm coming around to the Batum more. He had a really good bounce back year and still just 27. He checks off every box for us. I think him and Horford alone would be great for us. I would go Batum over Parsons.

I still think Ezeli should be a guy we go after. That way we can keep Vuch around and use him like OKC does Kanter. I like Vuch and don't want him leaving (if it gets us Butler sure) but Vuch is a stud on offense and 7 footers with game like him are rare. People take him for granted.

Ezili has almost the same numbers as dedmon

I'm fond of Horford. I think his game fits perfectly with what both Hennigan and Skiles seem to want in a player. His rebounding bothers me (I get the feeling he can do better, bounce back in that area), but other than that I love him.

I like Fournier a lot, but I just question whether he can be a starting 3 on a great team. He doesn't rebound, and he struggles defending length and scoring on good athletes. He is a picture perfect 6th man wing, but I'm not sure that can work with this team.

As a possible replacement for Fournier, I like Barnes and Parsons, though both may ask for too much money. I'm not as high on Batum as others here. His "bounce back year" looks nice from some statistical vantages, and actually worse from a lot of advanced statistics I see. His efficiency is not good, his TO's are crazy high, and his defense is just standard. To me, unless you really desperately want a point-forward, Parsons gives you everything Batum does with much higher efficiency as a shooter (both have potential to be really solid defenders, and Batum certainly edges Parsons out, but neither has ever sustained it more than a season, so it's hard to tell who they really are on that end). Barnes is an interesting player to me. He's efficient, plays solid defense, and is young. And he is the only one of these guys who has the potential to explode into an all-star type player in the right situation (not likely, really, but possible with his talent).

All that said, I think this team's biggest need is PG. And there basically are none that I really want as FAs. I loved Conley, until I heard he had tendonitis in his achilles. So I don't know where that leaves Orlando. Do you trade Vuc for a PG? That seems like killing one bird with two stones, if you know what I mean. If we get Horford, I'd love to trade Vuc for a really good PG, maybe Jrue Holiday or Teague, or maybe be the fourth team to take a chance on Brandon Knight. But I just don't know if that's possible, or even the best move. It's just what I would do.

For me, I'm not looking at FA's so much to be the saving grace for this team (unless Durant just loves Disney World). I like the idea of a Butler trade a lot, but not if it includes Oladipo. To me, you build that trade around Vuc, maybe Mario if necessary, and picks. Dipo and Butler would be a scary combo, and I think at that point we could sign our big man of choice. But that doesn't fix the PG position. Perhaps we have no choice there but to give Payton another year. Maybe he'll figure it out. But a Payton-Dipo-Butler lineup would likely struggle with spacing, like the Payton-Dipo-Harris lineup without Frye. It's a conundrum...

Why isn't anyone mentioning Derozen? After Durant, he's the guy I'd want over Batum and (trading for) Butler. Horford Derozen I think would be the semi-realistic free agency goal. Is something wrong with him that I'm missing?

Ezili has almost the same numbers as dedmon

In his defense he's playing on the best team of all time. He plays far more under control and has a better grasp on the position. Much bigger body too and is a better strait up defender. Dedmon is skinny and gets backed down easily. The only reason people think Dedmon is a good defender is because he's capable of blocking shots, like Noel. And of course I would rather have Whiteside, but Ezeli could be a cheaper solution that we could bring in with 2 other big name free agents and still utilize Vuch's strengths.

Why isn't anyone mentioning Derozen? After Durant, he's the guy I'd want over Batum and (trading for) Butler. Horford Derozen I think would be the semi-realistic free agency goal. Is something wrong with him that I'm missing?

Derozan has been my number 1 guy for months on here (after Duran, duh). I spoke a ton about him, but other aren't as enthused with him.

Derozan has been my number 1 guy for months on here (after Duran, duh). I spoke a ton about him, but other aren't as enthused with him.

I like DeRozan but in a world where we get butler we cant have a starting lineup of payton-butler-DeRozan-Gordon-Horford with Horford or Gordon being our most capable three point shooters.

I think everyone here will like to have Derozan. But more than likely he will ended up staying in Toronto. He has a good thing going on there and there are reports stating that he wants to stay.

I doubt he leaves Toronto for the Magic. Same goes with Durant and in some extent Batum as well.

We have better chances in trading for guys like Butler or Irving and sign guys like Horford, Howard, Parson, Deng, Noah or Gasol.

I think everyone here will like to have Derozan. But more than likely he will ended up staying in Toronto. He has a good thing going on there and there are reports stating that he wants to stay.

I doubt he leaves Toronto for the Magic. Same goes with Durant and in some extent Batum as well.

We have better chances in trading for guys like Butler or Irving and sign guys like Horford, Howard, Parson, Deng, Noah or Gasol.

Watch what happens if they lose in the first round for the third year in a row.

Watch what happens if they lose in the first round for the third year in a row.

Even if that happens, I see him going back to his hometown in california above us. The Lakers also have plenty of cap and will need someone to replace kobe.

If for some weird reason he sign with us then we will likely have to move Dipo.

I don't see how Batum and Fournier would fit together unless Fournier would move to the bench. I guess you could play Oladipo at the 1 and have Batum act as the point guard? Butler can play the 2 and the 3 and would be a better fit with what we currently have.

Even if that happens, I see him going back to his hometown in california above us. The Lakers also have plenty of cap and will need someone to replace kobe.

If for some weird reason he sign with us then we will likely have to move Dipo.

Why? DeRozan can play the 3

I don't see how Batum and Fournier would fit together unless Fournier would move to the bench. I guess you could play Oladipo at the 1 and have Batum act as the point guard? Butler can play the 2 and the 3 and would be a better fit with what we currently have.

yeah, we'd bring Fournier off the bench.

I don't think we'd keep him long term. it would be preserving an asset.