Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Our weakness is pick and role defense at the center position and interior defense.

Dwight's strengths are mobility for a big man and interior defense.

So I'd be cool with resigning Dwight based on those principles. But if Hennigan feels like that upgrade isn't worth potentially destroying the locker room culture and having his baggage viewed as a negative to other free agents then that's respectable. We're aiming higher than the easy road.

@ChadEvansSports

Some higher ups in the organization are open to a Dwight Howard reunion, but unless they overrule Hennigan, it will NOT happen.

Rob Hennigan was even quoted saying to season ticket holders "no chance" Dwight Howard wears a Magic uniform as long as he's here.

I like this mentality by Rob. Shows some pride. Something this organization often lacks.

Honestly, I think we build around our young draft picks. Payton, Dipo, AG, and Mario.

If those 4 guys are starting next year Rob & Skiles will both be gone by the all start break. We have those young guys here, but it's time to upgrade some positions. It's not like that's giving up on anyone, still plenty of minutes to go around and it bolsters our bench. The guys we drafted are important, but if we have an opportunity to sign a free agent to upgrade any position in the starting lineup I'm all for it.

The only guy I can say 110% will be starting next year is Dipo, unless some wild trade happens. I don't think anyone else can take their starting position for granted, which is great because competition gets more out of players.

Also, I really hope this doesn't just become the 4th Dwight Howard thread we've had on here. Everyone has voiced their opinions on him, would be nice to get some new talking points going. I think there's a better chance of Butler coming here than Dwight. Rob is keeping the trash away.

I like this mentality by Rob. Shows some pride. Something this organization often lacks.

If those 4 guys are starting next year Rob & Skiles will both be gone by the all start break. We have those young guys here, but it's time to upgrade some positions. It's not like that's giving up on anyone, still plenty of minutes to go around and it bolsters our bench. The guys we drafted are important, but if we have an opportunity to sign a free agent to upgrade any position in the starting lineup I'm all for it.

The only guy I can say 110% will be starting next year is Dipo, unless some wild trade happens. I don't think anyone else can take their starting position for granted, which is great because competition gets more out of players.

Also, I really hope this doesn't just become the 4th Dwight Howard thread we've had on here. Everyone has voiced their opinions on him, would be nice to get some new talking points going. I think there's a better chance of Butler coming here than Dwight. Rob is keeping the trash away.

Never mentioned anything about starting.

Three of those guys did start and I don't see that changing.

I expect Gordon to improve significantly this offseason based on his improvement in the last year.

Bringing Dwight back could have a great effect when it comes to keeping our young players here long term. Im sure if Dwight comes back than his feelings would be that the grass isn't always greener even in a big market like LA and I don't think it would be a bad thing to have him share that with the the other players who might think about leaving when they get the chance.

Never mentioned anything about starting.

Three of those guys did start and I don't see that changing.

Then I don't see our record changing much either. Maybe we're a 40-43 win team just based off player development? Rob is going after big name free agents, and he isn't bringing them in to come off the bench.

I expect Gordon to improve significantly this offseason based on his improvement in the last year.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I just can't say for sure anyone outside of Dipo is starting next year. I think AG would be the second guy I would say is gonna start but I wouldn't be shocked if we brought a PF in. Rob did want Milsap pretty damn bad last year.

I still think our main upgrade should be at PG, but the free agent are terrible at that position this year. Now with Conley injured it pretty much would have to be a trade at this point. Obviously interior D needs to be addressed too.

Bringing Dwight back could have a great effect when it comes to keeping our young players here long term. Im sure if Dwight comes back than his feelings would be that the grass isn't always greener even in a big market like LA and I don't think it would be a bad thing to have him share that with the the other players who might think about leaving when they get the chance.

This is a fairy tale version of Dwight that doesn't exist. If he ever came back here it wouldn't be for the team, regardless of what everybody would try to sell. I'm not fully opposed to him coming back if it were under the right circumstances, but let's not pretend Dwight has given us any reason to believe he's had a change of heart or learned anything at all from his mistakes.

• Upvote 1

Say Atlanta gets swept first round and they hold a fire sell this season. Firstly do we want Horford as a FA or Millsap in a trade? Secondly if we land Horford Vuc is most likely gone but if we trade for Milsap what are we willing to give up and does that mean we run small ball with Milsap/Gordon at PF/C or do we put AG on the bench? If his shot improves can he play SF?

Breaking News:

Dwight hasn't learned a THING since he left us. Quite frankly it may have gotten even worse.

Any opinion to the contrary shows real ignorance to how he's actually doing in Houston these days, IMO.

Breaking News:

Dwight hasn't learned a THING since he left us. Quite frankly it may have gotten even worse.

Any opinion to the contrary shows real ignorance to how he's actually doing in Houston these days, IMO.

QFT

I love the idea of Butler or Batum + Horford + re-signed Fournier

LOL who wouldn't? I'm coming around to the Batum more. He had a really good bounce back year and still just 27. He checks off every box for us. I think him and Horford alone would be great for us. I would go Batum over Parsons.

I still think Ezeli should be a guy we go after. That way we can keep Vuch around and use him like OKC does Kanter. I like Vuch and don't want him leaving (if it gets us Butler sure) but Vuch is a stud on offense and 7 footers with game like him are rare. People take him for granted.