Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Nothing worked in the first half besides Dwight overpowering.

We've played hedo, pietrus, and Lewis on LeBron with no luck.

Williams just hit a 50 foot buzzer beater.

No idea how we came back to win this.

Anthony Johnson of all people hit the 3 to give us the lead? Or tied it.

Man I loved that guy

Pietrus out scored the entire Cavs bench through out the series ...loved him too.

That team was just clicking at the right time. That was a hell of a team Otis put together.

He's a fool.

well it kinda depends on what the grading rubric is.

If it's "how much you improved the team in the offseason", a D+ doesn't really make sense. We're an objectively better team then we were 3 months ago. We took a roster that didn't really fit together and created another roster that doesn't really fit together but has the necessary pieces to put Vogel in a position to coach to his strengths.

If it's grading the moves in context as a whole, maybe a D+ makes sense. the roster is relying on Gordon playing like a small forward, Ibaka improving back to what he's shown in the past (and resigning), Biyombo continuing to grow as a player, Fournier being closer to the 19ppg player than the 11 ppg player he was at various times last year, and maybe a future trade to even the rotation out. That level of uncertainty is something an outsider might be pessimistic about. There's a version of this team where everything clicks, we're in the second round, and we enter next summer as the team that's one piece away from contention. There's also a version of this team where Ibaka bolts to Minnesota, Gordon can't play SF, Fournier is a 6th man on a good team, players marginalized in the rotation complain and that results in weird lopsided trades that screw up our future.

NBA writers are rarely optimists and are often reactionary "show me something can happen before I believe it will happen". I don't really care if we're given a D+ because the grading rubric isn't a "this is where teams are after the summer" statement. It just seems weird to see our D+ in relation to the rest of the league as a whole. To get a passing grade we had to be like New Orleans? New Orleans drafted Hield then signed E'tuan moore Solomon Hill, and Langston Galloway when they already had Jrue, Tyreke, and Quincy Pondexter. How does that cause for any less uncertainty than our offseason?

I find it comical that all of a sudden Oladipo is some great asset to everyone because he's on OKC. When he played with Orlando there was nothing hardly said about him and when there was it mainly negative (he can't shoot, needs to learn how to handle the ball better etc.) It's funny how the media starts to give a player respect based off what team they're on.

I find it comical that all of a sudden Oladipo is some great asset to everyone because he's on OKC. When he played with Orlando there was nothing hardly said about him and when there was it mainly negative (he can't shoot, needs to learn how to handle the ball better etc.) It's funny how the media starts to give a player respect based off what team they're on.

very true

Random reflection and admission:

Given how many teams are now flush with cash, the only way the Magic are going to be true contenders is if one of our young guns develops into a star. In other words, the dream of attracting a star through free agency at any point in the next couple of years is more than ever just that, a dream. We need Aaron, Mario, Evan, Nic or Elfrid to blow off the roof. Go Magic!

That's a fact. Think about it. How long ago was it that this team signed a STAR free agent? Henny did a great job getting this team to the point where we could afford a big time free agent, only to find out that cap space means nothing if you're a small market team that has been sub .500 for several years, and consists of several young players who are all borderline starters on a playoff caliber team. Hopefully two or three of our young guns turn into the players we hope they do so that we can eventually attract the Durant-like player we need.

I predict he will have a career high for free throw attempts.

The NBA plans to release schedule for 2016-17 season on Thurs. at 2:45 pm. PT, per league source. @NBATV to have show on schedule at 3 pm PT

The NBA plans to release schedule for 2016-17 season on Thurs. at 2:45 pm. PT, per league source. @NBATV to have show on schedule at 3 pm PT

guess im getting no work done this afternoon.

guess im getting no work done this afternoon.

no different than any other, I'm sure