Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Maybe I'm in the minority but I still think EP is a really good player. When he his aggressive he has the potential to be a top 10 point guard. His first season was really good and I hope he can get back to that type of player this season (with a better jump shot of course)

I think he can be good to. We went against his strengths last year with less dribbling and more warrior style passing. He is better down hill creating offense.

Uhh, no. I was against the kid before the draft last season and you could probably look up my posts to prove it. I'm not a fan of him and his game, I'll cheer him on when he's in a Magic uniform but that doesn't mean I have to believe he's a star in the making. If he proves me wrong then great, but I'm not going to change my opinion just because he plays in Orlando.

this is called confirmation bias, you already decided you hated him before he ever played a game

Last year we managed to average 102 points per game. This year we have upgraded the starting line up and the bench, so we should be able to match that if we go by a scoring by committee type approach unless one or two players become 20ppg players.

Payton / Fournier / Green / Ibaka / Vucevic

If we say the above is our starting line up. Then it is realistic for Payton, Green and Ibaka to average a dozen points per game. Though potentially we could see Ibaka given a greater role on offense because that was one of his complaints with OKC. If Fournier and Vucevic can average 18 a piece. That brings our starting line up to 72 points. Our bench last year averaged 36 points per game, which our existing bench should be able to match or better. That would be 108 points per game which would rank third in the NBA behind OKC and Golden State based on last year's numbers. Maybe a six point boost is a big ask, but even if Fournier doesn't boost his 15 points per game from last season, that's still 105 points per game which betters last year and would see us ranked in the top ten tied with Boston and Portland who scored 105 points per game.

That line up does offer us three point shooting from Fournier and Ibaka. Maybe Vucevic can develop a perimeter game like Horford has done, he's certainly got the shooting touch and range. Payton's shooting has improved, he may never be a major threat, but if his improvement continues he could be a steady outlet. I don't expect much from Green. But our bench has shooting as well, good athleticism and defense. So we've certainly got the players capable of doing the job on defense and putting together a very solid and well balanced offense. However, if Vucevic heads to the bench (or is traded) and we insert Biyombo, then we would need greater contributions from the other starters to make up for Biyombo's liability on the offensive end. Since bringing him into the starting line up would see us lose around a dozen points, which drops us to 60. Depending on whether Vucevic stays or goes (and in turn what we get back), if our bench produces 36 points, that's 96 points per game. That would rank near the bottom in the league and we would need to play lights out defense most nights to win games.

At the end of the day I think what we do with Vucevic is going to be key. If he starts, our offense should be fine. If he is benched, our offense could stutter at times. And if he is traded, we need to make sure we get an upgrade to our starting PG or SF position, because further bench depth and picks probably won't help us very much.

you cant go off raw ppg, efficiency is more important, also the league has a lot of average and bad teams, how will we score against good teams? that is what the league comes down to

That comes out to less money than $40M in Miami after taxes.

You might want to check your math. The estimated state tax rate for Orlando players is 2.92%, and the rate for Chicago players is 4.72%, a difference of 1.8%. Based on a 2 year salary of $47M, he is only losing $846,000.

Fournier potentially our best player for the next few years? Meeks might start?

No man. No.

It's all fake.

1. Nobody is allowed at summer league

2. If the guy got in, you really think any executive would talk candidly to a random

3. If the guy got in and started talking with an executive. You really think they're going to mention that Watson was a waste of money? They'll say something like "his injury was a wasted year but we have big expectations for him this year"

4. If the guy got in, started talking with someone from the magic, and they said everything above it was likely a season ticket rep or like *****ing accounts payable or something. I.e. Someone not a part of the "basketball decisions".

Also, nobody is worried about Orlando city they're like the 16th best soccer team for the second year in a row and fired their coach last night.