Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I would be shocked if we aren't an better offensive rebounding team next year than in the recent past. I assume most of us would

I wouldn't. because offensive rebounding is built on actually going after the rebounds and our coach has gotten away from it over the last 5 years.

The Hill-Stephenson-George-west-Hibbert 13-14 pacers team that got to the ECF were the 23rd ranked team in offensive rebounds and the number 1 defense.

im sure we're going to be significantly better on defensive rebounds.

I wouldn't. because offensive rebounding is built on actually going after the rebounds and our coach has gotten away from it over the last 5 years.

The Hill-Stephenson-George-west-Hibbert 13-14 pacers team that got to the ECF were the 23rd ranked team in offensive rebounds and the number 1 defense.

im sure we're going to be significantly better on defensive rebounds.

We'll see

Croatia- Tunisia starts in less than an hour.

kinda hope Croatia loses today or Friday vs Greece so none of our players have to go to Brazil and deal with everything going down there.

I understand why Mario went home to play for his country but If I was him I would have made sure that they planned on giving me significant minutes before I agreed to play. This guys needs all the burn he can get, especially against other top talents and summer league would have been huge for his confidence if he played well against other NBA guys.

It is a little concerning that we think of him as the next best up and coming shooting guard in the NBA and his coaches in Europe don't even think he can lead them to a victory over sub par European teams.

you know

if the entire league is going small and we have two of the handful of guys that can defend guys on the perimeter and the post, wouldn't it make more sense to go big?

or maybe the idea that in a hypothetical point-sg-sf-ibaka-biyombo lineup you're limiting the value of Biyombo if the other team can pull him to the perimeter so you might as well play ibaka at 5.

man I wish we had a 5 that could punish the other team on offense and switch out to the perimeter on defense.

maybe this is all about chess moves. don't worry about golden state, worry about Cleveland. Biyombo drove Cleveland crazy as he could beat Thompson to rebounds and protect the rim against LeBron drives. Cleveland puts Frye in, we counter with ibaka at the 5. Team doesn't have a lineup that can exploit vucevic? put in Vucevic.

This was what I original thought. It gives us an counter to every opposing teams move.

I understand why Mario went home to play for his country but If I was him I would have made sure that they planned on giving me significant minutes before I agreed to play. This guys needs all the burn he can get, especially against other top talents and summer league would have been huge for his confidence if he played well against other NBA guys.

It is a little concerning that we think of him as the next best up and coming shooting guard in the NBA and his coaches in Europe don't even think he can lead them to a victory over sub par European teams.

1. its not minutes, it's role. he got plenty of minutes but the offense was split between bogdanovic isos and drive and kick with no ball movement.

2. theres a lot of pressure for guys to play now or risk being frozen out of their teams. That's basically what's happening with Dragan Bender when they said he couldn't wear adidas in their games.

you know

if the entire league is going small and we have two of the handful of guys that can defend guys on the perimeter and the post, wouldn't it make more sense to go big?

or maybe the idea that in a hypothetical point-sg-sf-ibaka-biyombo lineup you're limiting the value of Biyombo if the other team can pull him to the perimeter so you might as well play ibaka at 5.

man I wish we had a 5 that could punish the other team on offense and switch out to the perimeter on defense.

maybe this is all about chess moves. don't worry about golden state, worry about Cleveland. Biyombo drove Cleveland crazy as he could beat Thompson to rebounds and protect the rim against LeBron drives. Cleveland puts Frye in, we counter with ibaka at the 5. Team doesn't have a lineup that can exploit vucevic? put in Vucevic.

I was actually thinking much the same thing about our team in terms of going big. In fact, I think, with the multiple positions most of our guys can play, we could either go big or small depending on the situation.

Want to play small and fast? go an Ibaka- gordon front court.

Want to play big? Go Biyombo, Ibaka, Gordon. or swap Biyombo with Vuch.

In fact, we could try to go really big (and it just might work) as we have a huge number of players over 6-7, 6-8. We could do a huge line up of Biyombo, Ibaka, Gordon, Fournier, Hezonja where every player is 6-7 or over. If gordon improves his shooting and Hezonja his handles this might actually work for short periods of time. Almost everyone is athletic, and it would be very hard for us to give up size.

1. its not minutes, it's role. he got plenty of minutes but the offense was split between bogdanovic isos and drive and kick with no ball movement.

2. theres a lot of pressure for guys to play now or risk being frozen out of their teams. That's basically what's happening with Dragan Bender when they said he couldn't wear adidas in their games.

He only played 22 minutes, Don't you think that is low for an NBA player?

I was actually thinking much the same thing about our team in terms of going big. In fact, I think, with the multiple positions most of our guys can play, we could either go big or small depending on the situation.

Want to play small and fast? go an Ibaka- gordon front court.

Want to play big? Go Biyombo, Ibaka, Gordon. or swap Biyombo with Vuch.

In fact, we could try to go really big (and it just might work) as we have a huge number of players over 6-7, 6-8. We could do a huge line up of Biyombo, Ibaka, Gordon, Fournier, Hezonja where every player is 6-7 or over. If gordon improves his shooting and Hezonja his handles this might actually work for short periods of time. Almost everyone is athletic, and it would be very hard for us to give up size.

it'd be cool if Biyombo actually develops an offensive game so his value isn't mitigated when other teams go small.

He only played 22 minutes, Don't you think that is low for an NBA player?

Euro ball is weird. They often don't play their best players large minutes. Look at the box scores for the Spanish league.