Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I don't think winning the division is that realistic at all if I'm being honest. I'm not even sure we're 8th seed material yet. I'm hopeful but well see.

Agreed. Division winner based on what? I don't see anything that makes us some kind of division contender right now. I don't see us as much better, if at all, than we were last season.

Agreed. Division winner based on what? I don't see anything that makes us some kind of division contender right now. I don't see us as much better, if at all, than we were last season.

Are you serious? We really don't look like a better team to you?

the magic have the elements to be an elite defensive team, but can they score? that will be the key to it all...

Last year we managed to average 102 points per game. This year we have upgraded the starting line up and the bench, so we should be able to match that if we go by a scoring by committee type approach unless one or two players become 20ppg players.

Payton / Fournier / Green / Ibaka / Vucevic

If we say the above is our starting line up. Then it is realistic for Payton, Green and Ibaka to average a dozen points per game. Though potentially we could see Ibaka given a greater role on offense because that was one of his complaints with OKC. If Fournier and Vucevic can average 18 a piece. That brings our starting line up to 72 points. Our bench last year averaged 36 points per game, which our existing bench should be able to match or better. That would be 108 points per game which would rank third in the NBA behind OKC and Golden State based on last year's numbers. Maybe a six point boost is a big ask, but even if Fournier doesn't boost his 15 points per game from last season, that's still 105 points per game which betters last year and would see us ranked in the top ten tied with Boston and Portland who scored 105 points per game.

That line up does offer us three point shooting from Fournier and Ibaka. Maybe Vucevic can develop a perimeter game like Horford has done, he's certainly got the shooting touch and range. Payton's shooting has improved, he may never be a major threat, but if his improvement continues he could be a steady outlet. I don't expect much from Green. But our bench has shooting as well, good athleticism and defense. So we've certainly got the players capable of doing the job on defense and putting together a very solid and well balanced offense. However, if Vucevic heads to the bench (or is traded) and we insert Biyombo, then we would need greater contributions from the other starters to make up for Biyombo's liability on the offensive end. Since bringing him into the starting line up would see us lose around a dozen points, which drops us to 60. Depending on whether Vucevic stays or goes (and in turn what we get back), if our bench produces 36 points, that's 96 points per game. That would rank near the bottom in the league and we would need to play lights out defense most nights to win games.

At the end of the day I think what we do with Vucevic is going to be key. If he starts, our offense should be fine. If he is benched, our offense could stutter at times. And if he is traded, we need to make sure we get an upgrade to our starting PG or SF position, because further bench depth and picks probably won't help us very much.

Saw this comparison on the "other" site but I didn't know we had such a strong connection to the 00-04 Pistons.

Corliss Williamson was a player off the bench then. Scott Perry worked in the front office and Forcier was an assistant coach.

Looking at the rosters, and I'm not saying they are 100% identical because one should never do such a thing, there are resemblances however.

Credit our boy Nyce for pointing it out.

• Upvote 1

Looking at Portland offseason moves..WOW. .

You give up Crappe for Turner on a horrible contract and then you somehow, has not other option other than celebrate the Napier move.

Just like we did when we traded a second for him last year.

They still have no big and hoping for a trade for either Kanter or Vuc. Ouch.

I just noticed. Not sure if it was mentioned.

Jason Smith agree on a 3 year contract with Washington. 5millions per year. Pretty good deal.

Also, I saw the Henny asked Payton to be present in the meeting when they were recruitingad interviewing Bismarck and Gordon was present for the ones with DJ and Green.

Looking at Portland offseason moves..WOW. .

You give up Crappe for Turner on a horrible contract and then you somehow, has not other option other than celebrate the Napier move.

Just like we did when we traded a second for him last year.

They still have no big and hoping for a trade for either Kanter or Vuc. Ouch.

Are they specifically targeting Vuch or is that what the fans want?