Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

here's why we wont be extending ibaka:

Veteran extensions are limited to four seasons, including the seasons remaining on the current contract. Even if the extension is signed in late June, the current season counts as one full season toward the total. For example, a contract with two seasons remaining may be extended for up to two additional seasons. However, an extension signed in conjunction with an Extend-and-Trade transaction (see question number 94) is limited to three seasons, including the seasons remaining on the current contract.

The salary in the first year of a veteran extension may be any amount up to 107.5% of the player's previous salary5, but no more than the player's maximum salary in that season (i.e., the maximum salary the player can receive if he were to sign a new contract that year as a free agent -- see question numbers 16 and 17).

Since the maximum salaries for an upcoming season are not known at the time the extension is signed, it is possible that the extension will specify a salary that is greater than the maximum salary. If this happens, the salaries in the extension are amended downward once the maximum salaries are defined.

Raises in each year of a veteran extension are limited to 7.5% of the salary in the first year of the extension6. If the salary in the first year of the extension is amended downward, the salaries in all subsequent season are amended as well. If the contract being extended contained bonuses, then the extension must contain the same bonuses -- teams can increase or decrease the bonus amounts by up to 7.5%, but they can't leave them off.

Bottom line. We needed...rim protection BADLY.

1) Rim protection is massively overrated. The difference between a good rim protector and a bad one is less than a FG a game

2) League average for blocks last year was 406 blocks for the season. Orlando had 417.

here's why its very likely that we're going to keep Ibaka:

what teams will be able to offer him:

first year salary of $30,972,900

4 years 133 ish million

what we can offer him as we own his bird rights:

5 years 180ish million

You should change your name again - Stats4win. Ty man it rly takes time to do it while @ work.. Also paying 35+ a year for Ibaka makes me puke...

I let this sit for a while before deciding how I feel about this trade.

Setting aside the named players and just based on position, Henny has done exactly what we needed to give us a balanced roster. We have been weak in the middle for a long time and teams have taken advantage of that. Many people on this board have been clamoring for a defensive presence in the middle to supplement Vuc and now we have one. So basically we traded a position we were overloaded at for a position we were weak at. I can't think of any available better options at the 4, can you?

I will miss VO, but I also welcome seeing Fournier/Mario getting those minutes. Mario needs those minutes to develop and IMO he will become a scoring machine like JJ with a bit better defense. So even if we didn't make any more changes we have already addressed our biggest concern of defense in the middle. So how do you like our defense with Payton, Ibaka , and AG on the floor at the same time?

We may have over-paid a little but we got exactly what we needed. I give Henny a B+ on this trade!

1) Rim protection is massively overrated. The difference between a good rim protector and a bad one is less than a FG a game

2) League average for blocks last year was 406 blocks for the season. Orlando had 417.

eh, he's a good all around defensive player. that ideally will be replacing a bad all around defensive player.

eh, he's a good all around defensive player. that ideally will be replacing a bad all around defensive player.

You really think we trade Vuch now and put Ibaka at the 5?

Wonder if stats says he's more productive at the 5 than the 4?

You're focused too much on blocked shots. Interior defense was without a doubt our biggest need.

You really think we trade Vuch now and put Ibaka at the 5?

Wonder if stats says he's more productive at the 5 than the 4?

I hope we do.

last season ibaka was being played like Harrison barnes.

he had 11 alley oop attempts, 65 dunks, 63 hook shots, 102 layups, 13 tips and 97 corner threes

2014 he had 15 alley oop attempts, 129 dunks, 45 hook shots, 160 layups, 28 tips, and 49 corner threes

here's why we wont be extending ibaka:

I don't know how it works but couldn't we re-negotiate his contract next year, since under the cap, then extend him based on new salary figure?

I don't know how it works but couldn't we re-negotiate his contract next year, since under the cap, then extend him based on new salary figure?

yes, but the extension would be limited to making 107.5% of his previous contract. by going to free agency he's going to get offers giving him 250% of his previous contract.