Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

If we somehow manage to get Al Horford to sign here, with Noah maybe for a minimum (doubtful?)... I guess Durant could see us as a perfect fit, both for basketball reasons (hi, Stern) and family reasons. After that, we could match whatever Fournier gets and we're set. I'm no expert when it comes to these salary numbers and the cap, but could we somehow end up with Horford, Durant, Noah and keep Fournier? Maybe then draft Skal or Poeltl?

PG: Payton

SG: Oladipo

SF: Durant

PF: Gordon

C: Horford

Vucevic

Noah

Fournier

Hezonja

Watson

Dedmon

Smith

Napier

Skal/Poeltl?

If we'd get Noah AND Horford, that makes me think we'd trade Vuc. Or, could we use Vuc as a C and Horford at PF? We'd have a SF/PF/C rotation of Durant, Mario, Fournier, Gordon, Horford, Noah and Vuc... epic, but... realistically possible?

I'm too much of a dreamer, I need realistic voices in my head.

I summon realistic posters to respond to this post!

Yeah I'm not really good with cap numbers (Payton4thewin is the man in that department) but I believe that whole roster is not doable.

Definitely have to let Fournier go then trade Shabazz and probably renounce Nicholson and maybe even Dedmon.

Yeah I'm not really good with cap numbers (Payton4thewin is the man in that department) but I believe that whole roster is not doable.

Definitely have to let Fournier go then trade Shabazz and probably renounce Nicholson and maybe even Dedmon.

To get Horford and Durant we have to renounce every free agent and trade/stash our pick.

The only way to get Horford Durant our pick and keep Fournier is to trade Vucevic

The only way to keep our draft pick is if we trade Shabazz

ok so we have:

Nikola Vucevic ($11,750,000)

•Victor Oladipo ($6,552,960)

•C.J. Watson ($5,000,000)

•Aaron Gordon ($4,351,320)

•Mario Hezonja ($3,909,840)

•Elfrid Payton ($2,613,600)

•Shabazz Napier ($1,350,120)

plus 400k from ersan

that's 35,927,840 in guaranteed salary

plus 2,717,355 in cap holds for the minimum nba salary to get us to 12 roster spots ($543,471 x 5)

that brings us to $38,645,195. That's the absolute minimum we can possibly have without making a move.

that gives us $53,354,805 in salary space

two max contracts in the 7-9 year range is in the $52,000,000 range

so we could sign Durant and Horford and that would leave us 1,354,805 plus the two spots that no longer have cap holds (because they will be filled by Durant and Horford) so $2,441,747. but we would only have that money after signing Durant and horford (or whatever two max guys) so it's not like you could apply that money to our first round pick cap hold.

Keeping Fournier scenario:

$53,354,805 + Shabazz money $1,305,120 - additional roster spot hold ($543,471)= $54,116,454-$5,720,513 Fournier cap hold= $48,395,941

That's enough for one 7-9 year max and one 4-6 year max but not two 7-9 year max guys.

The only way to get two max guys and keep Fournier is to trade Watson and Shabazz which we might not want to do (not because Shabazz and Watson> Fournier, but the cost of trading both guys is going to take potentially multiple first round picks and I'm not sure if you want to trade two guys and two picks in order to have the right to pay Fournier 20 million a year to be a backup SG).

Bump

• Upvote 1

Thinking about it, the following players will be lost this summer IMO:

Nicholson (Maybe he gets a 1 year deal, to see how he does under Vogel?)

Napier (whatever)

Dedmon (easy to replace I guess)

Vuc (traded if we get Horford+Noah)

Smith (Would like to keep him though)

Would not be surprised to see Fournier retained AFTER we sign two big names, preferably Durant+Horford (keeping the faith here), for depth and scoring. Vuc, although on a very good contract now, would most likely have to go too in a trade.

So yeah, maybe some cap-brains could write up a scenario where we'd be able to get Durant + Horford + Noah ? Who would we have to let go to be able to make that happen? We're pretty set at PG/SG/SF if Payton really is the PG of our future, but a summer like that would really bolster up our quality and bring in the two stars we need plus a fighter/voice and turn us into a contender.

PG: Payton, Watson, FA

SG: Oladipo, Fournier, Hezonja

SF: Durant, Hezonja, Fournier

PF: Gordon, Horford, #11

C: Horford, Noah, #11

Not 1, not 2, not 3... Multiple playoff berths!

Bump

Can we not sign Durant+Horford and then match whatever Fournier gets offered, to go over the cap and enter luxury tax, because of bird rights or something like that?

What would we have to trade Vuc for, for this to happen? We couldn't take much back, so, TPE? Late 1st, seconds?

@KDTrey5 11:55 am Jun 12 "I'm going to Disney World with the fam. I hear it's very magical there."

Quick! Someone check if Al Horford (who's a consistent Disney visitor) is going too!

Can we not sign Durant+Horford and then match whatever Fournier gets offered, to go over the cap and enter luxury tax, because of bird rights or something like that?

What would we have to trade Vuc for, for this to happen? We couldn't take much back, so, TPE? Late 1st, seconds?

No. Signing them requires rescinding Fournier because he has a 5.8m cap hold

No. Signing them requires rescinding Fournier because he has a 5.8m cap hold

Our hope is if Horford takes a little under Max so we can keep Fournier.

FWIW (nothing):

NBA Stats ‏@StatisticsNBA 5h5 hours ago

Report: The Magic are strongly pursuing Bismack Biyombo in free agency, according to rumors, he could be the piece for a "win mode".