CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

My thought is of course the year we decide to push for the playoffs a potential great tops the draft board.

Just don't let him go to Boston for the love of God.

Or give up anything to get him. Though we can't offer enough if we tried.

If we miss the playoffs, pray for a miracle top 3.

If we're drafting to fill a need we probably go after Brice Johnson.

Hyper athletic late blooming power forward who doesn't have great defensive instincts but has the tools to develop.

High ceiling that might get overlooked because of his age.

Small ball has probably overtaken it at this point, but not too long ago “rim protection” was the biggest buzzword in the NBA. A single elite rim protector can alter a team’s defense in a way no other defensive player can, and completely change the way an opposing offense attacks. As the NBA gets smaller and smaller, finding the balance between big men who can defend in space and those who can protect the rim will be a key decision for every team.

This draft is relatively stacked towards the power forward and center position, and all of these guys can be labeled as “rim protectors” to at least some degree.

http://upsidemotor.c...b-jakob-poeltl/

A rundown of rim protectors in the 2016 draft.

I want Buddy Hield

I quite like the idea of picking an upperclassman who can contribute immediately but who could still develop into more than a role player. Caris Levert, Denzel Valentine and Buddy Heild are all pretty dynamic guards/wings who can shoot the 3, pass the ball well, and rebound for their position and I wouldn't be opposed to picking any of them.

We don't really have any more minutes to spare on the wing though so I'm a fan of either a swing for the fences pick, an overseas player to stash a year or two or a solid big man failing that. So I guess my opinion is if you think Heild (or Valentine etc) can be a star then pick him but if you think he'll wind up ultimately being just a good bench guy I wouldn't bother.

I quite like the idea of picking an upperclassman who can contribute immediately but who could still develop into more than a role player. Caris Levert, Denzel Valentine and Buddy Heild are all pretty dynamic guards/wings who can shoot the 3, pass the ball well, and rebound for their position and I wouldn't be opposed to picking any of them.

We don't really have any more minutes to spare on the wing though so I'm a fan of either a swing for the fences pick, an overseas player to stash a year or two or a solid big man failing that. So I guess my opinion is if you think Heild (or Valentine etc) can be a star then pick him but if you think he'll wind up ultimately being just a good bench guy I wouldn't bother.

I get your point about the minutes on the wing being crowded, but the combination of players we have taking those minutes isn't really working

In the second round I really want Gary Payton II (though I think he might go in the 1st) or Tyler Ulis to replace Shabazz as 3rd PG. Both are just really tough guys who battle on the court.

EDIT: Assuming we pick a big in the 1st round. If we pick Melo Trimble or something (who's great) this obviously changes.

was bouncing around some draft stuff. Looks like we have Portland's second rounder this year too. Two early seconds is going to be pretty good value to trade back into the late first round.

I agree. If the FO believes Hield can be the focal point and judging how much we have fallen apart lately, I would be all in for pawning off our overpriced youth for the potential of Hield. With this being our 4th straight year of missing the playoffs, the pieces we currently have just dont cut it. They are similar pieces that don't fit the puzzle and a guy like Hield is someone we need.

I just wonder how sustainable the play of buddy hield is. We have 68 games that say he's a 17 ppg type guy on pretty good shooting numbers. Coming out as a junior I don't think he's a top 15 pick (depending on the draft).

All of a sudden he's putting up best shooting numbers in ncaa history type of a season. Is this who he is?

I just wonder how sustainable the play of buddy hield is. We have 68 games that say he's a 17 ppg type guy on pretty good shooting numbers. Coming out as a junior I don't think he's a top 15 pick (depending on the draft).

All of a sudden he's putting up best shooting numbers in ncaa history type of a season. Is this who he is?

That is a fair point and the uncertainty is understandable. He has had noticeable upward trends in most categories and what has mostly changed about his game is that he is attacking and drawing more fouls. He seems to be playing smarter, taking the right shots, and demonstrates leadership and high confidence. His demeanor and skill set is so attractive and beautiful to watch. I can only hope this is a star in the making and not a one year wonder that is just playing out of his mind.