CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

Congrats on your pending economic collapse

Won't be for long, My life is GREAT regardless.

Go Magic... Go England!

Won't be for long, My life is GREAT regardless.

Go Magic... Go England!

I don't understand economics at all even though I majored in it. USA!

Here are my thoughts after thinking about this for a while:

1. Let's face it. The NBA is becoming a perimeter-based league -- if you want to win, you must have perimeter shooting. The organization and the fans had eventually come to the same conclusion: that Payton and Oladipo could not exist, long term, as the back court for this team. They both aren't great shooters. Payton, although has the potential to be a great defender and passer, is a terrible shooter. He shot 43%/32%/58% this last season. He's shooting 58% from the FT line -- thats awful.

2. But Payton's got a ton of potential -- he was the first rookie to record back-to-back triple-doubles since Antoine Walker in 1997. He's got a sick ability to pass and he's a very pesky and long defender. He's offense needs some work but he improved his 3PFG% this last year.

3. Oladipo is very inconsistent. And he wasn't much better than Payton (besides FT%). This last season he shot 44%/35%/82% While he can shot lights out in some games, he's very up and down with his offensive game. He's also been with the team for 3 years and hasn't exactly had any breakout seasons. He also didn't draw fouls at a high rate -- he only attempted 247 this whole year -- which is ranked 61 right behind Ramon Sessions. He's also shown he cant play the Point Guard role with either former coach Vaughn or former coach Skiles. He had some very obvious short-comings.

4. I guess the staff saw all they needed to see within the three years. Rob Hennigan decided to choose Payton; a lot of us fans wanted to choose Oladipo.

5. There was a logjam at the SG position. With Oladipo and Fournier taking the bulk of minutes there, there was no room for Hezonja to develop. By trading Oladipo, Rob has placed the onus on Hezonja and Fournier (two lights-out shooters) to play well next to Payton and make up for what they're going to miss with Oladipo. He wanted to fit more offense and shooting next to Payton and now he's going to get it. Obviously, Hezonja would have to improve vastly for this plan to work.

6. He saw a chance to upgrade Orlando's PF position with a recognizable name. This might entice other free agents to want to play there.

7. He brought a skilled defensive big man to Frank Vogel. Remember what Frank Vogel did with Roy Hibbert? He made that Indiana team into an amazing defensive team every year with Hibbert anchoring the center position.

8. Rob is not a fool; every trade he makes has other people shouting that he's lost before any of his moves had a chance to work. He won the D12 by getting Vuc in return; he obtained Fournier for Afflalo trade. He drafted AG. Orlando now has flexible capspace for this year and next year (which is a better FA class).

I get the logic of the trade. This is a huge risk by Rob Hennigan. This is the 5th year of his rebuild so he decided to take a chance -- if they miss the playoffs this year he's likely fired. And, there is still a lot of the summer left; so this might be only one piece in the puzzle.

With that said, I think Oladipo is going to be fantastic in OKC. The guy can ball, and now he's not going to be the center of attention and will get easier looks playing next to Westbrool and (maybe) Durant. He can give the defense of Roberson with better shooting. This was a genius move by Presti, as Oladipo and Durant are also friends off court.

This has been an interesting trade night as a Magic fan.

I like the trade. It diversifies us further and we get bigger and tougher. Dipo will be missed, but perhaps this is necessary for Mario to break out. Plus Evan is a more complete offensive player. It looks like Rob chose him or (more likely) OKC wanted Dipo to make sure Durant stays. Durant and Dipo love each other.