CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

Zimmerman might be.

eh, Zimmerman feels like a plumlee type of player. Not sure he's going to be much more effective than someone like Onuaku who we could get in the second round.

Plus, second rounders don't have a cap hold.

Here's the math for the least amount of money we can have on the books (assuming we have a new home for Shabazz and we don't want to bring in Fournier)

Vucevic $11,750,000

Ilyasova $400,000

Oladipo $6,552,960

Watson $5,000,000

Gordon $4,351,320

Hezonja $3,909,840

Payton $2,613,600

Total $34,577,720

That means we have $57,422,280 in cap room with a 92 million projected cap

Fournier has a cap hold of $5,720,513

That means we have 51,701,767 of free money while keeping Fournier.

A max contract for a player with 7-9 years of experience is $27,600,000 (i.e. Durant and horford). Thus, to offer two max contracts we need $55,200,000 in cap space.

if we don't keep Fournier, we have $57,422,280 as noted above, minus the two max contracts, we have $2,222,280 in wiggle room. The cap hold for the 9th overall pick is 2,332,100. The cap hold for the 10th pick is $2,215,400.

Meaning we might have room for the 10th overall pick assuming these salary numbers are correct and we're not $7,000 off in our figures.

Or, we could take the first round pick, package it with Watson and send it to Boston for something like pick #31 and #35 (as second round picks don't have a cap hold) and then we can sign two max free agents along with Fournier.

I don't think we will be around the 10th pick.

We are playing 500 ball right now while the Bulls and Jazz are falling to pieces.

Good chance we end up picking around 13 or 14th.

Diamond Stone is another raw big body who could fill Deadhand's spot on the roster. The draft is hard to figure this far out though and after the top 10 it all becomes a crap shoot.

We are playing 500 ball right now while the Bulls and Jazz are falling to pieces.

Diamond Stone is another raw big body who could fill Deadhand's spot on the roster. The draft is hard to figure this far out though and after the top 10 it all becomes a crap shoot.

yeah, but that goes back into the same thing. would you rather have two max contract slots and the option to keep Fournier? or would you rather have two max contract slots and the 13th pick. you cant have both.

I guess you could trade vucevic and have the draft pick and Fournier... but I think that would be a dumb move.

EDIT: there's really no financial difference between the 10th pick and the 14th pick for us.

another wrinkle:

A whiteside max would only cost 23 million. so a hypothetical whiteside/Derozan combo would cost 50,700,000

so we could sign those two guys, not have to move Watson, and keep Fournier (but not our draft pick)

Yea he does have a very "Cody Zeller" look to him.

eh, cody zeller is more naturally talented.

Zimmerman feels like a hustle big that plays alright defense, blocks a few shots, gets some rebounds.

maybe Ian Mahinmi

except 20 year old big men like that never play well initially. they need to develop. Don't know if we have the time/patience to develop another guy.

another wrinkle:

A whiteside max would only cost 23 million. so a hypothetical whiteside/Derozan combo would cost 50,700,000

so we could sign those two guys, not have to move Watson, and keep Fournier (but not our draft pick)

We would move Dipo at that point though. I don't see him or Fournier as long term 6th men.

How are we playing .500 ball? Because we beat the Sixers and Bulls? Both those teams are a joke.

How are we playing .500 ball? Because we beat the Sixers and Bulls? Both those teams are a joke.

Well, since the all-star break and the trades we are 4 - 4, which is kind of the definition of .500 basketball.

Well, since the all-star break and the trades we are 4 - 4, which is kind of the definition of .500 basketball.

Yea I guess if we keep playing the worst teams the NBA has to offer than we are indeed playing .500 basketball. Context matters.

Beating the Sixers twice and a Bulls team that started Moore, Dunleavey, and a guy I've never heard of doesn't exactly mean we've turned the corner. The Dallas win was solid. We should beat PHX. But let's see how we do during a stretch were 2 of our 4 wins aren't against Philly. Philly is kind of the definition of a horrid basketball team, PHX as well.

another wrinkle:

Whiteside to me is not a deserving max player. I would take Derozan because he knows how to socre, but I would hope it comes with some trade