Fultz4thewin

The Official 2015-2016 Regular Season Thread

It's wild how much better Evan plays as the starting SF than as the starting SG. Anyone have thoughts on why that is?

He's a small forward if you ask me. Undersized maybe.

It's wild how much better Evan plays as the starting SF than as the starting SG. Anyone have thoughts on why that is?

No. It doesn't really make sense on paper.

I've explained it before. He's not fast enough to get around SGs, and SGs are fast enough that his good fundamentals on D don't help as much. On offense, he can outrun most SF or at least keep ahead of them by savvy, so they give him more space to shoot because he can beat them to the basket. On defense, he's so good fundamentally that, at SF, his slow foot speed and average lateral movement don't kill him, because he can stay in front of the 3's; he can't stay in front of the quicker SGs. He's like 6-7, so he's not really that undersized as a SF, just thin. But his fundamentals and effort can make up for that. He's a 3, I've been saying it all year long.

Evan is better at SF with AG at PF.

The Evan and Tobes or Frye at PF was murder on us defensively since Vuch is not very good protecting the rim off the ball.

according to ESPN

Evan as a starting guard this season: 29 games 11.6 ppg on 41/35/89 shooting

Evan as a starting forward this season: 15 games 19.3 ppg on 48/44/82 shooting

according to ESPN

The only rational reason for this has to be the pairings while he is playing each position. It has to do more with who he's playing with rather than what position.

It's weird though.

The only rational reason for this has to be the pairings while he is playing each position. It has to do more with who he's playing with rather than what position.

It's weird though.

You don't think it has anything to do with his lack of athleticism against SGs? I agree to a point that when he's playing with, say, Mario, the difference may be less, as they are almost interchangeable in terms of how you guard them (though I think you have to stay a bit closer to Mario). But when he's playing with Oladipo, most SFs cannot switch on to Dipo without trouble, as he is really fast and mostly blows by slower guys.

I think Fournier is a perfect fit next to Dipo, but only when Dipo is playing SG, because almost any guard can defend effectively against Fournier do to greater speed and quickness. He's not going to post up or shoot over guys. But as a SF, he is usually matched up with guys who sacrifice some speed for size and versatility. Size doesn't really effect his game, nor does being able to switch with other big men, because again, Fournier thrives taking big men off the dribble because they are just a step too slow and he's crafty around the basket.

Again, it all points to Fournier being SF, in this offense, because he is not quick enough to do the things he is so good at against quicker guys.

according to ESPN

As I've said ad nauseam, he is a borderline all-star when starting at the SF.

It's weird though.

I thought about it, but that doesn't hold up either.

He played well with the payton-oladipo-fournier-harris-vuc lineup

He played well with the Payton-oladipo-Fournier-Gordon-vuc lineup.

So I thought that maybe he plays better when he plays with oladipo but no, there's no link to positive play between those two guys.

so I went back to last year and other than a knicks game where he played badly, he played pretty well in the payton-oladipo-fournier-frye(Nicholson/dedmon/O'Quinn)-vucevic lineups

Early in the year I thought about this, but there was too much noise. Did Fournier play better at 3? or did he just exploit matchups against Babbitt, Marcus Thornton/harden, Tayshaun Prince, Gordon Hayward, etc. But doing this against Kawhi is no joke.

Maybe he just plays well as a non-primary ball handler. Maybe there's just chemistry and spacing between him and payton/oladipo/vucevic that he likes.

Maybe his offense is reliant on a quick first step that quicker guards are able to recover from.

maybe there's more ball movement in, ostensibly, a three guard lineup that Fournier benefits from.

Clearing out some of the noise that the bad starting lineup to start the year caused, Watson oladipo Fournier was a lineup that played 48 minutes together and had a 136 offensive rating and a 107 defensive rating.