Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Kevin Pelton thread

Yes, speaking of...I haven't been able to find 1 thing he has had to say about the Magic off-season...I mean "0"...Anybody that has please enlighten me.

I know when the Magic were negotiating with Harris he tweeted he liked Harris but to my knowledge that's been it.

And I agree about his writing skills...read him a lot.

That's because his name isn't Kevin Pelton

he has written plenty about the magic, and talked about them on his podcast. but it wouldn't fit your narrative to listen or read what he says

Can we start a Bianchi thread? I agree that if we're going to have a "real writer" thread that it should be Lowe, but Bianchi can totally be our "unintentional comedy" guy. Bianchi would kill over at The Onion.

Yes, speaking of...I haven't been able to find 1 thing he has had to say about the Magic off-season...I mean "0"...Anybody that has please enlighten me.

I know when the Magic were negotiating with Harris he tweeted he liked Harris but to my knowledge that's been it.

And I agree about his writing skills...read him a lot.

Zach Lowe has heard your prayers and they have been answered

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-good-the-bad-and-the-tobias/

That's a good read. Although it's kind of funny how the title seems to inadvertently imply that Tobias is ugly.

It's really the be all end all of the tobias Harris argument. Every negative opinion about Harris is in there with quotes from gms and visual examples. Every positive opinion about Harris is in here with quotes from gms and visual examples.

Harris can change a franchise.

Harris might be a volume scorer off the bench.

Harris might be a numbers guy on a bad team.

Harris can't play defense.

Harris played fantastic defense on wade.

Harris is taking advantage of an opportunity

Harris abused Leonard on offense

Harris is a tweener

Harris is a fantastic post up player.

Harris is a ball stopper

Harris is aware of his shortcomings

Harris is a hard worker

The salvation of Harris will come from Gordon.

It's really the be all end all of the tobias Harris argument. Every negative opinion about Harris is in there with quotes from gms and visual examples. Every positive opinion about Harris is in here with quotes from gms and visual examples.

Harris can change a franchise.

Harris might be a volume scorer off the bench.

Harris might be a numbers guy on a bad team.

Harris can't play defense.

Harris played fantastic defense on wade.

Harris is taking advantage of an opportunity

Harris abused Leonard on offense

Harris is a tweener

Harris is a fantastic post up player.

Harris is a ball stopper

Harris is aware of his shortcomings

Harris is a hard worker

The salvation of Harris will come from Gordon.

It seemed like Tobias was a better defender before last season. Maybe I'm wrong. I just think he came in last season just focusing on being the man offensively after working so hard on his outside shot and getting leaner. We were known as a team with no goto guy and he really wanted to be that. His intentions were sound. If he takes that work ethic and applies it to what Skiles preaches, he would not only elevate his status as an player, but elevate the team to an playoff team.

Can we start a Bianchi thread? I agree that if we're going to have a "real writer" thread that it should be Lowe, but Bianchi can totally be our "unintentional comedy" guy. Bianchi would kill over at The Onion.

King of the unintentional OMMB comedy posts... Bianchi vs. the OP.

This article is freaking great. Wow right on queue. Really summarizes what we have been saying, especially how you can't just judge a guy from stats. The reality is these GMs are using the heck of their film editors and studying these players films just as much as any stats are researched if not more.

It also is clearly hinting that we are looking at him to be our 4 more often. I think this could be a good thing for a few reasons. He has a better chance of bulking up a little and handling small ball 4s and some bigs than covering fast SFs. He also has Gordon who can switch with him and give him the better matchup. Additionally, his post scoring is highly underrated.

I like the quotes from him and Rob and also how he alludes to him and Gordon being out there together. We know this is going to happen, and I think it could be a really great combo.

That was a well written article, I really enjoyed the objectivity of it. I would have liked to have more anonymous quotes from GM's aside from Rob directly referencing Harris though. That being said, I am subscribing to Synergy Sports! I am happy to have the opportunity to expand my analytics resources.

The only talking point that I can't wrap my head around is Harris at the four. I worry that would increase his propensity for injury and mitigate his advantage in the post. Otherwise I am hopeful.

Zach Lowe has heard your prayers and they have been answered

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-good-the-bad-and-the-tobias/

I Know !!!....The timing of this is INCREDIBLE !!!

Anyway, a few of my takeaways from his article....

1. As he tweeted earlier this summer he likes Tobias and dedicated the majority of his piece here dissecting his game.

2. Doesn't mention our team except briefly saying we are an "interesting" team.

3. Thinks Dedmon sucks even though he is our only rim-protector on the roster basically saying he kills our already shaky spacing and has horse hooves for hands, lol....(why is Dedmon still on our roster if he doesn't fit ?)

4. Thinks our best chance for success is playing Harris and Gordon together to get solid two-way play, Harris saying, "Teams would have to pick their poison,. It would certainly be the most entertaining".

5. Lowe seems to be putting the onus for team success on Tobias....

“This team could be really good,” Harris says. “It’s only a matter of time.”

That’s in part up to Harris. He has his warts, but look closely, and you can see the profile of a player who could flourish in the modern NBA. The Magic were smart to wager on that upside. Now they and Harris must work together to bring it out."

GO MAGIC !!!!!