Sign in to follow this  
LaVar

WTCS VS Porzingis

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want? WTCS or Porzingis

• Willie Cauley-Stein
    • Kristraps Porsingis

It's true. What you really want to look at is opponents field goal %s near the rim. Having a guy who can lessen those under 50% and ideally under 40% is valuable since so many shots are either taken there or beyond the arc now.

This is actually what I'm talking about when I say it isn't very valuable.

I don't have time to run through the math right now(if I have time, I'll maybe do it later), but the difference between 40% at the rim and 50% at the rim is worth very little in terms of points, especially if the guy giving you 40% fouls even slightly more than average because of it.

This is actually what I'm talking about when I say it isn't very valuable.

I don't have time to run through the math right now(if I have time, I'll maybe do it later), but the difference between 40% at the rim and 50% at the rim is worth very little in terms of points, especially if the guy giving you 40% fouls even slightly more than average because of it.

I would disagree then. NBA GM's are really the ones who hyped the Rim Protector more than anyone. Their analytics suggest that it is key to have a 5 who can protect the rim since everyone else is spread out on the 3 point line so often now.

While Bogut did not get much burn in the finals due to matchups, he was a key part of the Warriors defense during the regular season and playoffs. To have a guy like that who lead the league in defensive efficiency is huge because you can run smaller at positions 1-4 and not get punished as much for it.

There are other factors for sure - a guy who fouls a lot is going to be a detriment.