Sign in to follow this  
LaVar

WTCS VS Porzingis

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want? WTCS or Porzingis

• Willie Cauley-Stein
    • Kristraps Porsingis

You don't consider Anthony Davis a top 5 pick? Terrance Jones probably isn't, maybe top 10. I'd put Brandon Knight and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist as top 5 picks too (maybe top 10 for MKG)

I also would say that neither Napier or Lamb are on the same level as any of the guys from KY from a talent stand point...except for maybe Goodwin.

WCS isn't a utility player. He will be a 6th man/starter for any team he goes to. I'm not sure he'll ever be an all-star...depends on how well his shot develops. However, I do think he could win multiple defensive player of the year awards. That isn't a guy to snub at just because you've never seen him on a team where they have asked him to produce offensively.

I also said in another thread that with as many top 10 picks as we have had in the last few years, eventually you draft for your biggest need and not the home-run. I believe the management believes and still has hope in Dipo turning into our homerun, which is why they drafted Payton and AG around Dipo to compliment him and Vuch. Now they need to draft a 4 to complete their starting lineup. I think the best guy to fit our team with the pieces we currently have is WCS.

If we were to trade Vuch for a defensive center, then I would definitely be more pro-Porzingis, however I don't think we'd do that which is why I land on WCS for defensive big and Mario for offensive wing.

Well that's what I get for multitasking. I end up completely missing Davis

we did draft aaron gordon 4th. I would put him as the same type of player. utility

AG averaged 12/8/2/1/1 (pts/rebs/ast/stl/blk) as an 18 year old freshman on top of being the best defensive player in the NCAA that year. His upside is much higher than WCS as far as I'm concerned. Especially now that it looks like his free throw shooting is not all time terrible.

AG averaged 12/8/2/1/1 (pts/rebs/ast/stl/blk) as an 18 year old freshman on top of being the best defensive player in the NCAA that year. His upside is much higher than WCS as far as I'm concerned. Especially now that it looks like his free throw shooting is not all time terrible.

Plus the entire point of drafting him is "we know he's got issues but he's still 18 and we think if given more time he could go from a good role player into a great player."

If Aaron Gordon played an additional two years and never improved he wouldn't have been a lotto pick.

If Aaron Gordon doesn't get any better and he's just a bench defensive guy who averages 7 points per game he'd be a pretty bad pick at 4.

Some Insider stuff from Chad:

Despite the love affair Porzingis generated on Friday, virtually every GM I spoke with still said, all things considered, they'd take Towns ahead of him -- even if Porzingis had played at Kentucky or Duke.

"I just think Towns is the best player in the draft," said one GM. "I'm not sure Minnesota knows that yet, but I think they will be the end of the process. And if they don't, it's because Flip [saunders] fell in love with Okafor."

The second problem is that the Lakers, drafting at No. 2, have a GM in Mitch Kupchak who is viewed by his peers as particularly risk averse. "Jim Buss might intervene," one GM said. "But I'd be shocked to see Mitch pass on either Okafor or Russell at No. 2. Shocked."

ESPN's own Marc Stein reported on Saturday the Lakers were giving Porzingis a serious look after the workout on Friday. Both Buss and Kupchak were on hand for the workout and then both of them were granted a private interview with Porzingis afterward.

The Sixers at No. 3 is a very real possibility. General Manager Sam Hinkie isn't afraid to work outside the traditional thinking of scouting. While Porzingis isn't their biggest need, if the Sixers think he's the best player in the draft, they won't hesitate to get him and find guards via free agency, trades or in subsequent drafts. They aren't in a hurry in Philadelphia. In fact, after months of thinking that it would be either Russell or Emmanuel Mudiay for Philly at No. 3, I think Porzingis might actually be their pick.

The Knicks at No. 4 are interesting. Phil Jackson made the trip out to see the workout and conduct an interview with Porzingis. He sat right under the basket through the workout. But for months his name hasn't even been mentioned to me by sources inside the Knicks. While NBA execs don't consider Jackson to be risk averse, they also feel that he's likely to go with a player that's more able to contribute something now. "The window is closing for Carmelo and Phil needs this pick to help now."

That leaves the Magic as the other likely landing spot for Porzingis. Orlando GM Rob Hennigan has done a lot of homework on Porzingis and he's a perfect fit in Orlando. Assistant GM Scott Perry could be a counter voice, however. He was the third in command in Detroit the year the Pistons took Darko and was the lone voice in the organization at the time advocating for Carmelo Anthony instead. I'm sure Hennigan's heard the whole story.

If Porzingis slides past No. 5 things get murkier. I didn't see Vlade Divac (the Kings' head guy) at the workout and given when Divac was hired, there's a chance he hasn't seen Porzingis play this season. It's hard to believe they'd draft him sight unseen. The Nuggets at No. 7 and the Pistons at No. 8 are probably Porzingis' floor.

But the very idea we are even talking about seven or eight with Porzingis speaks to the obstacles his non-U.S. origin causes.

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/13084878/nba-draft-kristaps-porzingis-makes-case-being-no-1-pick

WCS ..........LET'S GO UK !!!.....Pre-Season Number 1 Again !!!

Well that's what I get for multitasking. I end up completely missing Davis

Doesn't that go without saying though? I guess to some it doesn't.

IMO Both of these guys will have great NBA careers.

The real question is not the particular player but whether we are drafting for offense or defense. If we are drafting for defense WCS is a no brainer, but if we are drafting for offense there area lot more choices.

Besides, I have a feeling that Porzingis will not still be around at #5

I've flip flopped on this several times, but ultimately I think WCS is a terrible fit, and this is why- The best bet for a WCS/Vuc front court is Nik playing PF on offense, and C on defense. However, this entirely cancels out Cauley-Stein's value as a rim protecter. I think Vuc can be a stretch 4 on offense, but he is so good playing around the basket, I don't think you can offord playing him away from the rim just to help hide the terrible spacing that lineup would provide.

I think he's a good prospect, otherwise, but I don't envison him being good enough to make Vuc dispensable or that lineup being good enough. I think were more likely to throw money at Kofous, and bringing AG off the bench for awhile.

Am I the only worried about WTCS medical condiction? Sickel cell disease is no joke. This is a condition that can affect multiple areas including but not limiting to bleeding in joints. He is young now but it concerns me once he gets more physical in the NBA.

I take Porzingis over WTCS with the 5th pick.

Am I the only worried about WTCS medical condiction? Sickel cell disease is no joke. This is a condition that can affect multiple areas including but not limiting to bleeding in joints. He is young now but it concerns me once he gets more physical in the NBA.

I take Porzingis over WTCS with the 5th pick.

Sickle cell trait, which is what he has, is very very different from sickle cell disease, and may well have zero impact on his game.

However, this entirely cancels out Cauley-Stein's value as a rim protecter.

I doubt I'll ever write another CotM post again, but if I did, it would almost assuredly be about how the idea of a rim protector has become so overblown by fans so quickly, that I'm honestly not sure what could have possibly caused it.

I mean, I guess I know on some level that it's something that just started being tracked in the last few years, but it's like not a single fan has actually done the math to realize how hilariously small the value increase is from being even a below average rim-protector and being the best rim-protector in the NBA. It just sort of became a buzzword, apropos of nothing, out of nowhere.

Hint: that difference, by the way, is less than 3 points per game, even if we're generous in the ways we calculate the amount of shots a rim-protector can actually challenge.

I doubt I'll ever write another CotM post again, but if I did, it would almost assuredly be about how the idea of a rim protector has become so overblown by fans so quickly, that I'm honestly not sure what could have possibly caused it.

I mean, I guess I know on some level that it's something that just started being tracked in the last few years, but it's like not a single fan has actually done the math to realize how hilariously small the value increase is from being even a below average rim-protector and being the best rim-protector in the NBA. It just sort of became a buzzword, apropos of nothing, out of nowhere.

Hint: that difference, by the way, is less than 3 points per game, even if we're generous in the ways we calculate the amount of shots a rim-protector can actually challenge.

It's true. What you really want to look at is opponents field goal %s near the rim. Having a guy who can lessen those under 50% and ideally under 40% is valuable since so many shots are either taken there or beyond the arc now.