MAGICmanSAM

Welcome Home Coach Scott Skiles!

Skiles could forge a career here. It gets old reading people think they can predict a guy's career path in the NBA. The NBA is an extremely hard league to coach in, especially if you don't have the players you want. The team philosophy is in line with Skiles style of coaching.

If he succeeds and gets this team to the playoffs this season and Elfrid blossoms under him (which I believe will happen) he may have finally found a culture fit and a place he can grow.

If not, it won't be the end of the world. The Magic will be a playoff team again and all the people sick of the losing can finally ****. So there's that.

Skiles could forge a career here. It gets old reading people think they can predict a guy's career path in the NBA. The NBA is an extremely hard league to coach in, especially if you don't have the players you want. The team philosophy is in line with Skiles style of coaching.

If he succeeds and gets this team to the playoffs this season and Elfrid blossoms under him (which I believe will happen) he may have finally found a culture fit and a place he can grow.

If not, it won't be the end of the world. The Magic will be a playoff team again and all the people sick of the losing can finally ****. So there's that.

This is very true. It took Larry Brown 25 years of coaching professional basketball players to finally win it all. I don't know how somebody can have just 3 stops as a head coach and all of a sudden everyone can predict how he'll be. Almost as if the moment he started coaching he stopped learning and growing as a person. As evidenced by today's presser... Looks like he's definitely done some reflecting during his time away.

We'll field am organized Professional Basketball Team for the first time in 3 years, so that's a positive. Hope for the best.

Was shocked that he and Toby have stayed in touch (in a good way). Gotta think whether we bring him back or not will be an indicator of how true that all is....

I'm interested in how it goes with Nicholson and Harkless. They're in contract years and have a fresh opportunity to impress a new coach. This is pretty much a make or break year for them.

today we learned the magic strive to be average

in listening to all of hennigans interviews today it became apparent there was no "process" followed

this is all ownership, these people over the years have constantly undercut the basketball people, this is why we never win.

skiles loves his veterans and has failed to develop any star players in his entire career, unless he changes his approach the magic are doomed for mediocrity, and whoever we pick in the draft will barely play

this forum was in love with jacque after his first press conference, this means nothing. hennigan admitted on scott anez show that they zero'd in on skiles from the beginning.

there was no coaching search, this was management pushing someone on hennigan plain and simple...the last time they did this we hired brian hill, and then billy donovan. how did that work out?

• Upvote 1

Hard nose.

I think Skiles will be a good coach, a Great coach that remains to be seen. In looking at all of the possibilities I really don't see an option that was head and shoulders better. A lot of people wanted Thibbs but he's not without flaws. At least now the team can move on, get a staff put together and dial the draft in.

I like this team.

I don't understand all the hate against Skiles. And everyone is assuming Rob didn't interview Thibs or Jackson. And it's not like Skiles didn't take a losing Chicago Bulls to almost double the wins the year he took over or has no playoff experience. To add, he is one of our most beloved players to ever play the game. Yes, it wasn't a sexy signing, but this is an upgrade from JV for sure. Let's accept it and move on.

Obviously, I’m happy with Skiles’ signing. I’ve liked the guy as a coach since his days in Phoenix, and I loved his interview (especially his reaction to Bianchi). I’ve researched him quite a bit, and I like his philosophy and his resume. I didn’t see anything from the interview that led me to think the talk about this being Rob’s hire isn’t absolutely true. The truth is most on here (even those throwing tantrums) will admit that if Thibs had no interest then Skiles was the best available coach. And if that’s true, why would Rob not hire him? Should he have hired Mark Jackson (assuming he was even interested) just to avoid the appearance of nepotism?

There’s no predicting what will happen in three years. Those who are unhappy will complain over the next three years any time the team performs poorly, blaming it on Skiles. I won’t be surprised. I also won’t be surprised if Skiles is gone in three or four years. But I would say the same thing had Orlando hired Thibs. Coaching in the NBA is almost always short-term, especially when you aren’t handed a HOF roster. But I think, as Catman said, Skiles could build a great career here. This is as good a fit as any I can think of, in terms of philosophy, talent level, and history. This could be the beginning of a great part of Orlando Magic history. We’ll all have to wait and see. But I’m hopeful.

I’m glad he thinks this back court has great defensive potential, and I know he’ll hold them to that expectation. I’m glad he seems to have a good relationship with Tobias Harris (I’m on the Harris train for now, as I just don’t think you can reasonably let go of a guy with his versatility on offense). I’m glad Skiles seems to get along with Rob. Mostly, I’m glad he mentioned that this team needs to play defense and run, which I know most on here believe is the case. If they can do that, I think there could be something special here. There is plenty of potential as a half-court scoring team with Vuc and Harris, so long as there is improvement in outside shooting. I know this team can run when it plays defense, especially as AG improves and gets more minutes.

Lastly, for those who want to say that Skiles never developed a star player, Shawn Marion says hi. (could he do the same for Gordon?)

Two former Bucks assistants are working in Erie with the Magic's D League team. They seem like obvious choices for Assistant Coaching jobs, honestly though I hope we try a little harder than just "you guys already work for us and have previously worked with our coach". Jim Boylan is in Cleveland so it'll be interesting to see who Skiles gets as his lead assistant. We seem open to keeping Borrego on so maybe he'll take that role? (still think that's a bad idea though)

in listening to all of hennigans interviews today it became apparent there was no "process" followed

this is all ownership, these people over the years have constantly undercut the basketball people, this is why we never win.

skiles loves his veterans and has failed to develop any star players in his entire career, unless he changes his approach the magic are doomed for mediocrity, and whoever we pick in the draft will barely play

this forum was in love with jacque after his first press conference, this means nothing. hennigan admitted on scott anez show that they zero'd in on skiles from the beginning.

there was no coaching search, this was management pushing someone on hennigan plain and simple...the last time they did this we hired brian hill, and then billy donovan. how did that work out?

This just isn't true. Related to the hire, Henny went through a list of candidates. Just because he didn't play that out in the media, doesn't make it untrue:

Hennigan ultimately conducted face-to-face interviews with four candidates from outside the Magic. In addition to Skiles and former Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks coach and current Los Angeles Clippers assistant coach Mike Woodson, the Orlando Sentinel has learned that Hennigan also met with former Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson and current Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg.

http://www.orlandose...n=buffer#page=1

Furthermore, Skiles developed Gordon, Deng and plenty of young guns. I hope the Skiles works out. We'll see

This team hardly has any veterans to steal time from the young guys so I'm not sure where that concern stems from as it relates to this team. Whether Skiles was pushed on Hennigan or not, I'm quite sure there was dialog between him and Skiles about the need to develop the young guys as this is the model the rebuild has taken. Hell, Skiles even acknowledged this during the press conference and explained that in his former stops he was asked to win now" with veterans.