MAGICmanSAM

Welcome Home Coach Scott Skiles!

ESPN Article by Kevin Pelton:

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/12977046/scott-skiles-hiring-orlando-limited-impact

The question is how high the Magic can get under Skiles. His turnarounds have tended to have a ceiling. The best team of Skiles' career, the 1999-00 Suns, won 53 games, and he has won just two playoff series in his career -- never advancing past the conference semifinals. There's a longtime sacrifice to the short-term benefit of adding Skiles, and that's why I suspect the Magic will ultimately regret this hire. As satisfying as competing will be after Orlando has been the league's worst team since the Dwight Howard trade in 2012, the Magic didn't stockpile lottery picks to top out in the second round.

The east is easier to win in. This is a different team. The right combination of coach and players can have successes. Skiles will get us moving in the right direction. With our great culture and management good from top down, I think we will be fine. We have a coach that wants to be here and is happy to coach our team. I like what we are doing, so far.

I would be crying in a corner if we chose Mike Woodson. We did fine. It could have been worse.

I've come to the conclusion that Pelton is a terrible writer. He's all about "numbers" but ignores basic logic when trying to make a point. This artcile is clearly him trying and failing at supporting his opinion with numbers. I mean, he says "Skiles teams on average improve 13.6 wins in their first year" "Skiles consistently takes teams from bad defensively to average defensively or from average defensively to great defensively" and then he says "The Magic will ultimately regret this hire". Yea... If we win 40 games next year with a top 10 defense I'm sure we'll all HATE this hire... :rolleyes:

I've come to the conclusion that Pelton is a terrible writer. He's all about "numbers" but ignores basic logic when trying to make a point. This artcile is clearly him trying and failing at supporting his opinion with numbers. I mean, he says "Skiles teams on average improve 13.6 wins in their first year" "Skiles consistently takes teams from bad defensively to average defensively or from average defensively to great defensively" and then he says "The Magic will ultimately regret this hire". Yea... If we win 40 games next year with a top 10 defense I'm sure we'll all HATE this hire... rolleyes.gif

You know you're proving the point of Pelton's article. The whole point of the article is Skiles improves teams but not enough to be a championship contender. While I would love for the Magic to just compete again, I also hope to see them hoist the Larry O'Brien trophy.

You know you're proving the point of Pelton's article. The whole point of the article is Skiles improves teams but not enough to be a championship contender. While I would love for the Magic to just compete again, I also hope to see them hoist the Larry O'Brien trophy.

How many coaches available for the job have won an NBA title?

• Upvote 1

Exactly. There's this one guy called Larry Brown. Took him 25 seasons getting expelled from team after team...and then guess what? He won a championship! But I thought he was just a good coach that just made your team get better but can never get over the hump! Nope...was just right coach, right time, right team.

I was not saying there was one or that Skiles was a bad hire. I was just pointing out that winning 40 games and improving defensively is exactly what Pelton predicted, but Pelton asserts the "numbers" say Skiles will not get the Magic much further. I disagree with Pelton's premise because the "numbers" do not take into account the trades that hindered Skiles in Phoenix and Milwaukee. In both of those situations the trades made the teams much worse and that was not Skiles fault. I think Skiles will significantly improve this team's defense and the Magic will win a lot more than 25 games, and in the East who knows how far the Skiles can take this team.

I was not saying there was one or that Skiles was a bad hire. I was just pointing out that winning 40 games and improving defensively is exactly what Pelton predicted, but Pelton asserts the "numbers" say Skiles will not get the Magic much further. I disagree with Pelton's premise because the "numbers" do not take into account the trades that hindered Skiles in Phoenix and Milwaukee. In both of those situations the trades made the teams much worse and that was not Skiles fault. I think Skiles will significantly improve this team's defense and the Magic will win a lot more than 25 games, and in the East who knows how far the Skiles can take this team.

Pelton is an idiot because he assumes no coaches every get better. If that was the case, guys like Larry Brown never would have won rings and Stan Van Gundy would not be so highly valued as a coach.

Skiles has a very realistic chance to grow a culture here that could make this team a contender within 3 years.

Right but you (and Pelton) arw assuming that all teams are created equal. None of Skiles teams had the talent to win a championship so blaming that on him is ridiculous.

I'm not an ESPN insider, but did Pelton give an alternative suggestion for what he things the Magic should have done that they wouldn't regret? Was it something along the lines of hiring another Vaughn and praying he works out?

Great interview. I was already excited we got Skiles (unlike many others), but the more I hear him the more excited I am for the culture he'll bring here!

I also like that he actually answers questions. Hinting that they'll try to hit a home run in FA next year with cap going up...that's a breath of fresh air. Even if they don't hit a home run next year, it's great to know they are aware and want us to know.