MAGICmanSAM

Welcome Home Coach Scott Skiles!

today we learned the magic strive to be average

in listening to all of hennigans interviews today it became apparent there was no "process" followed

this is all ownership, these people over the years have constantly undercut the basketball people, this is why we never win.

skiles loves his veterans and has failed to develop any star players in his entire career, unless he changes his approach the magic are doomed for mediocrity, and whoever we pick in the draft will barely play

this forum was in love with jacque after his first press conference, this means nothing. hennigan admitted on scott anez show that they zero'd in on skiles from the beginning.

there was no coaching search, this was management pushing someone on hennigan plain and simple...the last time they did this we hired brian hill, and then billy donovan. how did that work out?

10gl6pl.jpg

This team hardly has any veterans to steal time from the young guys so I'm not sure where that concern stems from as it relates to this team. Whether Skiles was pushed on Hennigan or not, I'm quite sure there was dialog between him and Skiles about the need to develop the young guys as this is the model the rebuild has taken. Hell, Skiles even acknowledged this during the press conference and explained that in his former stops he was asked to win now" with veterans.

And even when he was asked to "win now" he still found time to start Brandon Jennings all his rookie year, make Ben Gordon the 6th man of the year as a rookie, Shawn Marion played a decent amount of minutes as a rookie, Kirk Hinrich was 2nd on the team in minutes played as a rookie and Luol Deng got decent burn as a rookie despite having some injuries.

The idea that Skiles buries young guys behind vets and doesn't develop them is a myth perpetuated based almost solely on Tobias who as a 19 year old could not crack the rotation of a team expected to make the playoffs.

Dug this great vintage Scott Skiles feature out of the archives: "Gritty, Gutsy Scott Skiles:"

http://on.nba.com/1GbhgKz

Great find.

Can I just point out one thing about all the people saying he'll be gone in 3-4 years.. I've realized that's a bit of a cop out b/c 90% of all NBA coaches will be gone in 4 years. So it wouldn't be the weakest limb to go out on, to say that sort of thing about any NBA coach this side of Popovich.

One more thing. I think some fans have their head in the clouds and aren't really accepting reality. This is no longer 2009. (The good and young) Dwight Howard isn't walking through that door. Neither is in-their-primes Shaq, Penny, or T-Mac. The truth is we are, by record at least, one of the five worst teams in the NBA. We were not even the most attractive coaching opening, let's get real. We're not Chicago, and we certainly don't have Anthony Davis.

Point being, even though of course we have championship aspirations, that's not who we are right now. With the position we're in, we should be thrilled with a coach that has the turn-franchises-around resume as a Scott Skiles. We may have wanted Thibs or Gentry or someone else more, but with Scott Brooks not interested I'd say we made out pretty well.

Beggars can't be choosey, and I think us as beggars made out pretty well. At the very least, we should do something unconventional and at least give the guy a chance to fall on his face before we bury him.

Besides. Captain obvious here. He's a clear upgrade over our last full time head coach.

I hope Skiles does well. The man will always be remembered for his years on the Magic and his assist record.

Alvin Gentry - I have no idea why any of you would want this guy. He has just 2 seasons in which he coached his team to a winning record. The man had Grant Hill in his prime. His other good season was taking over for D'Antoni in Phoenix.

Thibs - That's who I wanted but the man probably wants no part of a rebuilding team w/o a superstar on it. Besides, maybe he wants to sit out a year and relax. I would.

Brooks - Same as Thibs.....

I wasn't all over the Skiles bandwagon, but it took George Karl 3 coaching stints to be considered one of the NBA's best coaches of all time.

So yeah, I want to give Skiles a chance and most of you that bring up the situations he took over are spot on.... When he was fired, the team was in a better position then when he got there. Let's see what he can do and hopefully the Magic's draft pick ends up being a superstar.

Heard some stuff about the hire last night when I was out some Magic buddies. The press conference was for the most part, true. Ownership came to Rob after JV was fired and basically said, "we let you pick Jacque, but now we want you to talk to the guy we want - Scott Skiles. Let's compare notes after and you if you want someone else, thats fine."

So essentially Rob met Skiles and was extremely impressed. He told Skiles that he would be interviewing other coaches, but they really bonded and hit it off. Skiles is a modern NBA coach in terms of X's and O's. The only concern is his offense settled for midrange shots a lot, and that is something that was discussed.

The reality is that Skiles became obvious to Rob that he was the best available coach for this team. And remember, he wants guys that want to be here - coaches included. So if there was another selection that was a better fit right now, I'd like to know who it is.

Heard some stuff about the hire last night when I was out some Magic buddies. The press conference was for the most part, true. Ownership came to Rob after JV was fired and basically said, "we let you pick Jacque, but now we want you to talk to the guy we want - Scott Skiles. Let's compare notes after and you if you want someone else, thats fine."

So essentially Rob met Skiles and was extremely impressed. He told Skiles that he would be interviewing other coaches, but they really bonded and hit it off. Skiles is a modern NBA coach in terms of X's and O's. The only concern is his offense settled for midrange shots a lot, and that is something that was discussed.

The reality is that Skiles became obvious to Rob that he was the best available coach for this team. And remember, he wants guys that want to be here - coaches included. So if there was another selection that was a better fit right now, I'd like to know who it is.

This has always seemed like the most likely situation with Skiles. Obviously the ownership wanted Skiles. But ownership is not necessarily always wrong. They did hire Rob, and clearly they let him have his guy in Jacque. And Rob did not look uncomfortable to me on the podium, which you have to imagine he would if he were against Skiles. Rob said the right things about going through the process, and I think that has something to do with what Martins was congratulating him about. They let him have his process, and he didn't hold it against Skiles that his name came from ownership. If it was just an ownership push, there would have been no interim coach. Skiles in all likelihood would have been here since Feb. That is how he has come into every other job, mid-season. But the ownership let Rob do his diligence, and it all worked out. The more I research this whole scenario the more charmed it seems to me. I am very hopeful about this situation.

I'm excited with Scott Skiles as head coach. He will bring a toughness and edginess that was sorely needed in the past few years. It should be interesting to see how this changes (if at all) or shifts who we look to draft on June 25th.

Best time of the year!