LaVar

Mario Hezonja ?

Who should we get with the 5th pick? (2015)   

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who should we get with the 5th Pick? (2015)

• Mario Hezonja
    • Willie Cauley-Stein
    • Justise Winslow
    • Porzingis
    • Myles Turner
    • Stanley Johnson

Porzingas could just as easily be the guy as Winslow or Henzonja. In fact, I'd probably place him ahead of Winslow at this point. Winslow sort of doubles what the team already has, and unless the team sees some serious star potential in him, I don't see them picking him. He isn't a position of need and he isn't good enough at any one thing to justify taking him over Porzingas or Henzonja at this point.

I think Henzonja has the chance to be the better player, but Porzingas can become the more vital one. He's still only 19, can shoot, and he runs the floor well. He's athletic enough to become a good help defender, and young enough to fill out and put on muscle. I mean, think KG, Durant, Steph... all thin framed players that turned out great. Since he fills the bigger need, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Magic pick him. Henzonja is a great player, but I wonder about how serious he is about becoming a star. If he has the work ethic and drive, he can be the best player in the draft.

I'm honestly fine with either Euro, as I see potential in both of them. I also see bust potential in both. But I think the team needs to take a risk at a great player, and I don't think Winslow is it.

What star potential does Porzingis present? You say Winslow doesn't present star potential so I'm just curious what you see in Porzingis that truly makes him a star. Simply because he's a 7 footer that has range? Donatas Motiejunas, Myers Leonard, Andrea Bargnani all fit that bill and they're far from stars. Yea, Bargani had a couple solid years but his defense was always terrible and he never even averaged over .5 bpg.

Also, again, you can't just say "he's young he can put on muscle." Porzingis has one of the narrowest frames I've ever seen and I mean ever. There isn't much he can do to that in terms of truly bulking up and getting bigger. Sure he can tone up his body some but that guys genetics are not going to let him ever explode like Dwight Howard did.

Our biggest issues other than perimeter shooting is our atrocious interior D. It's beyond me how anyone on this forum can actually sit here and say they would be okay with a froncourt of Vuch and Porz. Even If I liked Porz, I absolutely hate the fit with our team. Not to mention the guy is going to be a bigger project than AG.

• Upvote 2

What star potential does Porzingis present? You say Winslow doesn't present star potential so I'm just curious what you see in Porzingis that truly makes him a star. Simply because he's a 7 footer that has range? Donatas Motiejunas, Myers Leonard, Andrea Bargnani all fit that bill and they're far from stars. Yea, Bargani had a couple solid years but his defense was always terrible and he never even averaged over .5 bpg.

Also, again, you can't just say "he's young he can put on muscle." Porzingis has one of the narrowest frames I've ever seen and I mean ever. There isn't much he can do to that in terms of truly bulking up and getting bigger. Sure he can tone up his body some but that guys genetics are not going to let him ever explode like Dwight Howard did.

Our biggest issues other than perimeter shooting is our atrocious interior D. It's beyond me how anyone on this forum can actually sit here and say they would be okay with a froncourt of Vuch and Porz. Even If I liked Porz, I absolutely hate the fit with our team. Not to mention the guy is going to be a bigger project than AG.

I think Aaron Gordon can be our stretch four. We picked him 4th for a reason. We need a big time scorer from the perimeter.

• Upvote 1

I think Aaron Gordon can be our stretch four. We picked him 4th for a reason. We need a big time scorer from the perimeter.

I so hope that AG can be a stretch 4. He certainly answered the FT question for year one. Here's hoping he can start knocking down threes consistently.

It's weird how Joakim Noah can play the 5 at 6 feet 11 inches 232 pounds but Porzingis is too skinny to play the 4 at 7 feet 220 pounds.

He is not aggressive. Some people play bigger than there size. Some people play small. He reminds me of the Knicks 7 footer that shoots. Drafted first by the raptors.

It's weird how Joakim Noah can play the 5 at 6 feet 11 inches 232 pounds but Porzingis is too skinny to play the 4 at 7 feet 220 pounds.

It's the same reason Draymond Green can play the 4 or the 5 despite being vastly undersized against opponents constantly. Plays with insane tenacity and grit. Please show me the video tape where you got that vibe from Porzingis.

Exactly. I still have my doubts with AG as a true 4, but I 100% am hoping it works out for him there. Assuming that was and still is the plan, I don't see how drafting Porz makes sense when a guy like Mario fills such a bigger gaping hole.

I hope that happens but right now it would have to be seen as a very long shot (no pun intended). He hasn't show anything like consistent outside shooting yet. We're asking him to add a completely different dimension to his game, it might happen, but I sure wouldn't count on it.

I hope that happens but right now it would have to be seen as a very long shot (no pun intended). He hasn't show anything like consistent outside shooting yet. We're asking him to add a completely different dimension to his game, it might happen, but I sure wouldn't count on it.

I believe he shot 35-36% from 3 in college. His form looks good. We will see. I think he can do it. I think he make strides next year.

Porzingas could just as easily be the guy as Winslow or Henzonja. In fact, I'd probably place him ahead of Winslow at this point. Winslow sort of doubles what the team already has, and unless the team sees some serious star potential in him, I don't see them picking him. He isn't a position of need and he isn't good enough at any one thing to justify taking him over Porzingas or Henzonja at this point.

Agreed, as much as I like Winslow, I'm not sure he has the size to be a starting SF. He seems more suited to SG, and unless Henny wants to trade Oladipo for something hefty in return (eg. #1 from the t-wolves, we keep #5), then picking Winslow would likely be us drafting a sixth man.

I think Henzonja has the chance to be the better player, but Porzingas can become the more vital one. He's still only 19, can shoot, and he runs the floor well. He's athletic enough to become a good help defender, and young enough to fill out and put on muscle. I mean, think KG, Durant, Steph... all thin framed players that turned out great. Since he fills the bigger need, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Magic pick him. Henzonja is a great player, but I wonder about how serious he is about becoming a star. If he has the work ethic and drive, he can be the best player in the draft.

The problem with Porzingis is he's probably not going to contribute from day one. He needs to add some serious bulk to his frame and get a lot stronger, and since last year when this was highlighted as a concern, he hasn't seemingly added any bulk to his frame, and whether it can hold the necessary 20-30 extra pounds is debatable. Right now he doesn't look near his listed weight. When this guy hits the NBA, he's going to get bullied by the bigger and stronger forward's and centers. He shies away from contact and most of his rebounds are uncontested. He doesn't really attack the rim, instead he settles for jump shots, and he's an awful passer with questionable decision making.

Don't get me wrong. He's a talent kid with a lot of upside. If coached well, and he works hard, maybe he could become a key piece for this team, but how long is that going to be away? I can't see him doing much year one, and we may have to wait until year two or three to see him really start to come along. Right now, he's nowhere near our starting line up. And if we re-sign O'Quinn and Harris, keep Frye, and continue with Gordon at PF - there is little chance Porzingis gets significant minutes in our team. For me, as talented as he may be, he's way too raw and has enough question marks that should make us pass on him.

Why draft a guy that is unlikely to contribute?

I'm honestly fine with either Euro, as I see potential in both of them. I also see bust potential in both. But I think the team needs to take a risk at a great player, and I don't think Winslow is it.

Of the two Euros, Hezonja is the player I prefer. I'd rather we draft WCS over them both, or look strongly at Winslow, but Hezonja would probably be my third choice if the consensus top four go above us. I'd pass on Porzingis, too risky a pick.