Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

If we have no way of acquiring Thibs because he's under contract and perhaps would rather go to NO than here, and if Brooks has made it abundantly clear that he wants to take a year away from coaching, would this be settling? Not trying to ruffle feathers. I just don't really think you can call it settling when he's actually the best AVAILABLE coach.

That's pretty much what settling means

That's pretty much what settling means

Your solution would be to not hire a coach at all? Hey, lets make Green a player-coach. Couldn't be worse than this past year's mess.

Your solution would be to not hire a coach at all? Hey, lets make Green a player-coach. Couldn't be worse than this past year's mess.

No, he's saying that we would be settling regardless of whether he's the best coach available or not.

And he's right because we want thibs but if things keep going this way, we have to hire skiles. That's settling.

No, he's saying that we would be settling regardless of whether he's the best coach available or not.

And he's right because we want thibs but if things keep going this way, we have to hire skiles. That's settling.

Well, I'm guessing they'd rather have Phil Jackson or Gregg Popovich or Red Auerbach than Thibs, so he would be settling too, by that logic.

Your solution would be to not hire a coach at all?

Is it? Pretty wild interpretation

Well, I'm guessing they'd rather have Phil Jackson or Gregg Popovich or Red Auerbach than Thibs, so he would be settling too, by that logic.

A hibachi restaurant recently opens in your neighborhood. You decide to go and try it out. When you get there the line is so long that by the time you'd be able to get a table, the restaurant would be closed. So, you decide to instead go down the street to that "good enough" Chinese place that gives you an extra wonton in your soup because you know one of the cooks there.

That's settling. You went into the night expecting to get one thing but due to circumstances out of your control decided on a different, less appealing, but still good option.

• Upvote 1

After looking it up, I'm noticing a pattern with Skiles. He failed his last year in Phoenix because they traded Jason Kidd for me-first volume shooter Stephon Marbury.

He's been screwed twice by getting me-first shooters traded to his teams (MIL, PHX). I don't really know what happened with Chicago, though the core he had to get 50+ wins is quite impressive.

A hibachi restaurant recently opens in your neighborhood. You decide to go and try it out. When you get there the line is so long that by the time you'd be able to get a table, the restaurant would be closed. So, you decide to instead go down the street to that "good enough" Chinese place that gives you an extra wonton in your soup because you know one of the cooks there.

That's settling. You went into the night expecting to get one thing but due to circumstances out of your control decided on a different, less appealing, but still good option.

Excellent analogy. Still, better to get that "good enough" food and be happy with it than go hungry. If that new hibachi place closes down or the customers there don't leave, you could starve.

Not an interpretation. A request for clarification.

On the definition of settling? There's no doubt the Magic are looking for Thibs and are interested in Brooks as well. If they can't get them, they're gonna have to settle for less...Skiles.

I'm still fairly certain they're playing the game right now to see if anyone bites, because if their offer was truly the best Chicago's gotten and Chicago is just playing hard ball, this might put some pressure on them.

Excellent analogy. Still, better to get that "good enough" food and be happy with it than go hungry. If that new hibachi place closes down or the customers there don't leave, you could starve.

Right, but no one is saying they shouldn't get a coach at all...