Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

If we hire Skiles, it would be his FOURTH stop as HC in the NBA. He's never made it 5 full seasons with anyone and has never even been to a conference finals. He's just not that good of a coach. If we were to pass on him, I also think he'll probably never get another serious crack at a HC gig again. We're only looking at him because of his history here as a player.

Nah, he's actually an alright coach. Not like he's Vinnie Del Negro.

But it feels like a half measure. We know how this story ends. He's going to make the team a top 5 defense but like the 18th best offense. We're going to be a 47 win team. We're going to get rid of him after a poor playoff series in year 3 or 4.

The story has been written

If we hire Skiles, it would be his FOURTH stop as HC in the NBA. He's never made it 5 full seasons with anyone and has never even been to a conference finals. He's just not that good of a coach. If we were to pass on him, I also think he'll probably never get another serious crack at a HC gig again. We're only looking at him because of his history here as a player.

This is the type of post that makes those of us who aren't panicking over the Skiles rumor wince and wonder. You really think a coach with a winning record who turned three different sub-500 teams into playoff teams is not going to get another shot? You say Orlando is only looking at him because he was a player here. But he is legitimately the most proven available option. I understand having concerns about the guy. But trying to pretend he doesn't deserve to be coaching in the league over some of the bums that have jobs right now is just not reasonable.

• Upvote 1

This is the type of post that makes those of us who aren't panicking over the Skiles rumor wince and wonder. You really think a coach with a winning record who turned three different sub-500 teams into playoff teams is not going to get another shot? You say Orlando is only looking at him because he was a player here. But he is legitimately the most proven available option. I understand having concerns about the guy. But trying to pretend he doesn't deserve to be coaching in the league over some of the bums that have jobs right now is just not reasonable.

Out of every coach, he is the for sure most credible, as pointed out.

What's the one thing we have against Skiles? The fact that he burns out his players, to the point where they don't hear him.

People who are able to step away for a time usually have time to reflect on "What could I have done differently?" Somehow, with two years away from the game, I wonder if he's realized and fixed his relationship-building tactics. If he's done this, I do believe he'd be a great coach for the job. Positive thinking makes me believe he's grown in this aspect and would therefore be a stellar coach... if he hasn't changed it, as Payton4TheWin points out, history WILL repeat itself.

Let's talk this for a second:

Should Scott Skiles become the new Orlando Magic head coach, do we change the way that we draft at all of does the culture we're building remain completely the same?

We all should have seen this for a while: Skiles and Thibs are similar coaches, and if we couldn't have Thibs, we were going for Skiles.

If we're going to compare Thibs and Skiles and say they are different ("Skiles is a poo man's Thibs"), let's at least acknowledge the rosters each had to get where they were. Thibs and Skiles both did excellently in Chicago, with Thibs have far superior talent compared to Skiles (yet their records were similar). Then, Skiles had to work with a core of Ellis, Jennings, and Larry Sanders in MIL. That has .500 written all over it, no matter who coaches them.

Who's to say that Thibs is a great coach with a not-so-talented roster? Why does he get so much credit when he's had a number of great players?

The fact that he burns out his players, to the point where they don't hear him.

Not arguing, just trying to understand all the angles here. Who were these players he burned out? From what I remember of his exit from Milwaukee, they got rid of his players and added guys who were me-first volume shooters who have still never shown any ability to consistently focus on D. Bogut was his big piece, and he was always successful when Bogut was on the floor. I'm not sure what he had in Chicago, other than me-first shooter without any D at all Ben Gordon and some pretty minor pieces to surround him with. I honestly don't remember much about his time in Phoenix.

Out of every coach, he is the for sure most credible, as pointed out.

What's the one thing we have against Skiles? The fact that he burns out his players, to the point where they don't hear him.

People who are able to step away for a time usually have time to reflect on "What could I have done differently?" Somehow, with two years away from the game, I wonder if he's realized and fixed his relationship-building tactics. If he's done this, I do believe he'd be a great coach for the job. Positive thinking makes me believe he's grown in this aspect and would therefore be a stellar coach... if he hasn't changed it, as Payton4TheWin points out, history WILL repeat itself.

This is exactly what I've been saying to my friends! I think Skiles would be a great fit. I would think he's reflected on his ways and plans on correcting so he can last in his next gig. But you know what? If he doesn't, in two years we're a top defensive team with playoff experience that free agents and other top coaches will want to join. So I say go for it so we can get along with the draft.

Setting for Skiles over Thibs or even Brooks will feel a lot like the amount of long 2s the offense is going to settle for next year

Not arguing, just trying to understand all the angles here. Who were these players he burned out? From what I remember of his exit from Milwaukee, they got rid of his players and added guys who were me-first volume shooters who have still never shown any ability to consistently focus on D. Bogut was his big piece, and he was always successful when Bogut was on the floor. I'm not sure what he had in Chicago, other than me-first shooter without any D at all Ben Gordon and some pretty minor pieces to surround him with. I honestly don't remember much about his time in Phoenix.

Well they traded Jason Kidd for Stephon Marbury so that's probably why they got worse when he was in Phoenix. They were just about .500 through 50ish games when he was fired.

Setting for Skiles over Thibs or even Brooks will feel a lot like the amount of long 2s the offense is going to settle for next year

If we have no way of acquiring Thibs because he's under contract and perhaps would rather go to NO than here, and if Brooks has made it abundantly clear that he wants to take a year away from coaching, would this be settling? Not trying to ruffle feathers. I just don't really think you can call it settling when he's actually the best AVAILABLE coach.

After looking it up, I'm noticing a pattern with Skiles. He failed his last year in Phoenix because they traded Jason Kidd for me-first volume shooter Stephon Marbury.

Well they traded Jason Kidd for Stephon Marbury so that's probably why they got worse when he was in Phoenix. They were just about .500 through 50ish games when he was fired.

Should have just waited for your response, looked it up myself and came to the same conclusions