Sign in to follow this  
AddiFB

So.... American roadtrip!

Hey guys

Me and my better half are going to take a little roadtrip in the US of A in a few months. Okay, in 24 months to be exact...

Anyways, we're flying to Pittsburgh and then driving to our old nemesis' nest, Cleveland, where her father lives. We'll stay there for around a week and then head on south towards Orlando. What we want to do is make a few stops on our way and so far we've decided on Savannah, GA after it was recommended to me by a poster here who I will call "The Brian". Savannah for 2 nights, it looks lovely. The drive from Cleveland to Savannah is pretty long so we are thinking about adding another stop or two. Any recommendations? I only got Charlotte as another possible destination, but any tips on nice places to stay would be awesome. Doesn't have to be big cities, just nice, cool, beautiful places :)

From Savannah we'll go to Orlando and we'll also stay in Sarasota and possibly another place in south Florida. Keys?

We plan to stay in Florida for around 3 weeks. So, a good roadtrip ahead.

Hey guys

Me and my better half are going to take a little roadtrip in the US of A in a few months. Okay, in 24 months to be exact...

Anyways, we're flying to Pittsburgh and then driving to our old nemesis' nest, Cleveland, where her father lives. We'll stay there for around a week and then head on south towards Orlando. What we want to do is make a few stops on our way and so far we've decided on Savannah, GA after it was recommended to me by a poster here who I will call "The Brian". Savannah for 2 nights, it looks lovely. The drive from Cleveland to Savannah is pretty long so we are thinking about adding another stop or two. Any recommendations? I only got Charlotte as another possible destination, but any tips on nice places to stay would be awesome. Doesn't have to be big cities, just nice, cool, beautiful places :)/>

From Savannah we'll go to Orlando and we'll also stay in Sarasota and possibly another place in south Florida. Keys?

We plan to stay in Florida for around 3 weeks. So, a good roadtrip ahead.

Ok, here's what I'd do.

If you start in Cleveland and have a lot of time, I'd go to New York and just hit random places down i-95 from there (as I 95 runs through practically every major eastern city including Savannah). If New York is too far out of your way, I'd go from Cleveland to Washington, Washington to Savannah (with other places in between if you wish), Savannah to Orlando.

Now, if you're really open to change, I'd skip the trip to Florida entirely (knowing that you've already been here a ton) and go Cleveland to Louisville to Nashville to New Orleans to Houston to San Antonio to Tuscan to San Diego and then north depending on time.

Ok, here's what I'd do.

If you start in Cleveland and have a lot of time, I'd go to New York and just hit random places down i-95 from there (as I 95 runs through practically every major eastern city including Savannah). If New York is too far out of your way, I'd go from Cleveland to Washington, Washington to Savannah (with other places in between if you wish), Savannah to Orlando.

Now, if you're really open to change, I'd skip the trip to Florida entirely (knowing that you've already been here a ton) and go Cleveland to Louisville to Nashville to New Orleans to Houston to San Antonio to Tuscan to San Diego and then north depending on time.

Although I've been to Florida (Orlando) three times, I haven't seen much of Florida yet. I want to spend more time in Sarasota (been there 1-2 hours so far) and I want to see Miami and the Keys. Plus, I just enjoy staying in the Orlando area. Plusplus, Magic. So I think skipping Florida isn't an option hah.

Going to New York and down I-95 however is however a really cool option. Might have to check that out more. Already noticed it could add Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington to the list. Really tempting.

Although I've been to Florida (Orlando) three times, I haven't seen much of Florida yet. I want to spend more time in Sarasota (been there 1-2 hours so far) and I want to see Miami and the Keys. Plus, I just enjoy staying in the Orlando area. Plusplus, Magic. So I think skipping Florida isn't an option hah.

Going to New York and down I-95 however is however a really cool option. Might have to check that out more. Already noticed it could add Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington to the list. Really tempting.

Yeah, 95 connects the keys to Maine. So really it's your best bet.

Stuff for Florida: have you ever been deep sea fishing?

Yeah, 95 connects the keys to Maine. So really it's your best bet.

Stuff for Florida: have you ever been deep sea fishing?

No, never. Please tell.

No, never. Please tell.

The nice charters are expensive but the one I've been on was like a $30 Groupon. You go out with like 25 other people. Free breakfast sandwiches, free beer and burgers at lunch. Goes out from Cape Canaveral.

It's tough catching anything edible with so many people fishing at the same time but you can't beat the experience for the price. Last thing you want to do is throw a bunch of money at a deep sea fishing trip only to find out you get sea sick and spend the whole time puking over the side.

http://orlandoprincess.com

That's the one I went on. It's $70 per person for the full day trip but, like I said, you can find a Groupon during the summer for much cheaper.

I went on this one over the summer. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was for a party boat. Good crew, the food is pretty decent (given the circumstances), and the boat is well kept. If you decide on going deep sea fishing, which I highly recommend you do, go on this boat. The Miss Cape Canaveral kinda sucks.

Expect to catch sharks, snapper, a grouper if you're lucky, etc. The fishing may not be the best if you're going in the heat of summer, but it's certainly a good time just to be out on the water.

Glad to see that you took my advice on Savannah, Addi ;)

If you want somewhere along the way, hit up somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains. I know that you already live on a giant volcanic rock as it is, but it's worth considering. Other than that, do what PFTW said and go to DC. If you really want to burn some time, go to Boston. By far the best city in the US that I've been to. They have everything there and it's incredibly clean and well kept for such an old area.

I went on this one over the summer. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was for a party boat. Good crew, the food is pretty decent (given the circumstances), and the boat is well kept. If you decide on going deep sea fishing, which I highly recommend you do, go on this boat. The Miss Cape Canaveral kinda sucks.

Expect to catch sharks, snapper, a grouper if you're lucky, etc. The fishing may not be the best if you're going in the heat of summer, but it's certainly a good time just to be out on the water.

Glad to see that you took my advice on Savannah, Addi wink.gif

If you want somewhere along the way, hit up somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains. I know that you already live on a giant volcanic rock as it is, but it's worth considering. Other than that, do what PFTW said and go to DC. If you really want to burn some time, go to Boston. By far the best city in the US that I've been to. They have everything there and it's incredibly clean and well kept for such an old area.

Thanks, "The Brian" biggrin.gif

We really like Savannah, so it was the first addition.

We've added quite a few places to visit during our road trip. Of course this isn't set in stone yet, as it's a 2 year planning ahead, but we're aiming for March/April 2017.

So far, the trip could end up something like this:

Fly from Iceland to Pittsburgh

Drive to Cleveland, stay for 6 days

Drive to Boston (Might need a pitstop between CLE and BOS!), stay for 3 days

Drive to New York, stay for 3 days

Drive to Philadelphia, stay for 1 day

Drive to Baltimore, stay for 1 day

Drive to Washington, stay for 2 days

Drive to Charlotte, stay for 1 day

Drive to Savannah, stay for 2 days

Drive to Sarasota, stay for 3-4 days

Drive to Miami and the Keys, stay for 2 days

Drive to Orlando, stay for 10-14 days

Fly home

That's quite a roadtrip, I think.

We've added quite a few places to visit during our road trip. Of course this isn't set in stone yet, as it's a 2 year planning ahead, but we're aiming for March/April 2017.

Fly home

If you go to Pittsburgh, go to Primanti Brothers. Thank me later.

Fly home

Damn man. If you can do this for less than $2500 (excluding flight) I might need you to plan my next trip