Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

[/size]

I hear you, yet surely Dipo is accountable for some of his play, right? Like shot selection?

And honestly I'm not trying to single out Dipo. Rather, I'm simply looking at the big picture as we go into year 4 of a rebuild. Surely Henny has to put together a more cohesive unit this summer that results in more wins.

As I thought about this thread last night, I really wish we had traded Harris at the deadline. Even if he does re-sign for 10 mil/yr, I don't necessarily think that makes us a better team. I like some of our individual players, but our team is imbalanced and inconsistent.

I agree about Harris. Could he be used as bait for NY or LA to swap picks with us?

Disagree about Victor. If this team was winning he would get calls at the rim. Bottom line is that Victor is 22 and is averaging about 18 a game. That is about all I see that he has in common with Harris. Victor makes his teammates better. Is he a #1 on a championship team? Probably not. But given the big step he has taken this year, I wouldn't be shocked if the Payton/Oladipo backcourt becomes the foundation for a consistent playoff run.

The question is, do we actually want to be a good team? Because you don't become a good team by trading away good young players for draft picks or for worse young players (Noel).

I am consistently surprised by the amount of criticism/negativity thrown Victor's way on this board. I guess I look at how he went from a massively under-recruited prospect, to a starter on his college team, to an all-american, to one of the best young players in the NBA who should have won player-of-the-week in his conference as recently as a few weeks ago over the likes of people like Lebron James. Isn't that massive improvement in a relatively short period of time?

He's by no means above criticism and there are certainly areas in which he needs to improve, but what exactly do you want him to be in his 2nd year in the league? Isn't he right on track or even somewhat ahead of it?

Amen and amen.

*stares at Ball Junkie*

Seriously? I mean, seriously? I know your Kentucky love knows no bounds. I get it. I have a girlfriend from Kentucky and the Wildcat fever is real.

But Noel for Oladipo. Come on, man.

As far as Dipo overall, it's perfectly fine to be critical of him. I just wish some people around here would just remember that a. how young these players are and b. they were "coached" until recently for years by Jacques Vaughn. There's a ton of bad habits that need to be corrected.

I'd take Oladipo for Noel and a 2015 pick swap (if they didn't get the #1 pick), but the Sixers wouldn't do that

If the Magic are in a spot to get Russell than that trade actually would make a lot of sense, but I doubt it would happen. It's too early to trade Victor, and he is looking like a starting SG in the league.

Noel has quietly had a rather nice year though. I think a lot of people aren't realizing that he is looking like a rather nice piece.

Here's my problem with noel.

1. There are 279 players who have a better 2 point percentage than he does. He is abysmal on anything outside of 3 feet. That's not good for a big man with his body type.

2. I think, based on noel's strengths and weaknesses, it's easier to find players to replicate those strengths and minimize his weaknesses. For as down as I am on dedmon, his numbers are comparable to noel's. Dedmon is more efficient around the basket, a better rebounder, and similar shot blocker. Noel gets more assists and steals. Plus you can build a roster of multiple dedmon type players for the price of one noel.

Here's my problem with noel.

1. There are 279 players who have a better 2 point percentage than he does. He is abysmal on anything outside of 3 feet. That's not good for a big man with his body type.

2. I think, based on noel's strengths and weaknesses, it's easier to find players to replicate those strengths and minimize his weaknesses. For as down as I am on dedmon, his numbers are comparable to noel's. Dedmon is more efficient around the basket, a better rebounder, and similar shot blocker. Noel gets more assists and steals. Plus you can build a roster of multiple dedmon type players for the price of one noel.

I don't think people realize what a good player Noel has become. Moreover, I don't see how Dedmon is comparable, to be honest. Are you looking at true numbers or projected? Also their roles are vastly different, as Philly is trying to involve Noel in the offense with 8-10 or so shots, whereas Dedmon averages 2-3 shots in garbage touches. Noel is also 5 years younger (20 vs 25) and playing as a rookie. His growth as a young player is clear, and his recent March numbers are outstanding:

13.2 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2 bpg, 2.7 spg and 1.3 apg.

If we drafted Towns or someone similar and he posted those numbers next year, we'd be ecstatic.

Anyway, I'd love for us to grab a big with defensive upside, and perhaps we can do that without trading a young asset.

I don't think people realize what a good player Noel has become. Moreover, I don't see how Dedmon is comparable, to be honest. Are you looking at true numbers or projected? Also their roles are vastly different, as Philly is trying to involve Noel in the offense with 8-10 or so shots, whereas Dedmon averages 2-3 shots in garbage touches. Noel is also 5 years younger (20 vs 25) and playing as a rookie. His growth as a young player is clear, and his recent March numbers are outstanding:

13.2 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2 bpg, 2.7 spg and 1.3 apg.

If we drafted Towns or someone similar and he posted those numbers next year, we'd be ecstatic.

Anyway, I'd love for us to grab a big with defensive upside, and perhaps we can do that without trading a young asset.

Noel is 45.8% shooting which is just terrible for a center. I don't think noel and dedmon are comparable but I do think 2 dedmons (I.e. Tall players who can rebounds, block a few shots, and are liabilities on offense) are capable of sufficiently replacing 1 noel.

It's not so much that noel is a bad player, just that his style and level of play is easy to replace (similar to Harris or a guy like Corey Maggette on offense).

Noel is 45.8% shooting which is just terrible for a center. I don't think noel and dedmon are comparable but I do think 2 dedmons (I.e. Tall players who can rebounds, block a few shots, and are liabilities on offense) are capable of sufficiently replacing 1 noel.

It's not so much that noel is a bad player, just that his style and level of play is easy to replace (similar to Harris or a guy like Corey Maggette on offense).

I hear you, though Noel is shooting 49.6% in March… compared to Vooch's 46.2% :).

Be it on Philly or somewhere else, I think Noel has a bright future. We'll see.

I hear you, though Noel is shooting 49.6% in March… compared to Vooch's 46.2% :)/>.

Be it on Philly or somewhere else, I think Noel has a bright future. We'll see.

Also, I'm biased against Philly players. I don't trust their stats at all. Especially after the mcw illusion

Also, I'm biased against Philly players. I don't trust their stats at all. Especially after the mcw illusion

I also think there may be an anti-UK vibe, too, which is completely understandable.