Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

I think the biggest issue I have with this message board is everyone's lack of perspective.

On March 6th Oladipo is coming off of 70 points, 13 assists, 8 steals, and 7 rebounds with 59% shooting over a two game stretch.

At this point he is the next Wade, an elite player, the best pick in his draft, future all star.

On March 20th he's coming off a 3 game stretch of 70 points 13 assists, 16 rebounds, 6 steals on 39 % shooting.

At this point we're not as happy with him as we are vooch and Payton. We're discussing trading him. He's kind of disappointing.

Do you not see why this is infuriating? Can't he be somewhere in the middle? Can't we look at a large body of work and see value instead of only 4 days of sample size?

• Upvote 1

Two quick questions:

1. Would you trade Dipo for Noel?

or

2. Would you trade Dipo for the #1 pick?

Yes to the first, maybe to the second. Not trying to take a shot at Oladipo though

We've seen what Noel can do in the NBA and he's more of a sure thing right now than Towns, so I would have to think about Oladipo for the 1st pick

If we look at Oladipo's body of work it's pretty bad, his rookie year sucked because he was a turnover machine and didn't score efficiently. Now he's off-the-ball and his efficiency has increased and the turnovers have dropped but his defense has suffered. Hell, many here would probably say that Tobias Harris hasn't had a great season but he still rates significantly better in most offensive metrics than Oladipo. He'll likely settle into being a decent starter but I think it's doubtful he'll ever be a great offensive player. Personally, I can't stand players who aren't aware of their own limitations. In the Dallas game he took 6 threes and was trying to split double teams even though he played almost 40 minutes the night before. Last night he was trash in the 1st half and was actively hurting the team with his hilarious air-balled layups into 2 defenders routine.

I only suggested trading him if there was a suitable replacement at this position (potentially someone like D'Angelo Russel who can shoot the lights out). I'm fine with having him on this team, but I don't like his current role and wish he played smarter.

The question is, do we actually want to be a good team? Because you don't become a good team by trading away good young players for draft picks or for worse young players (Noel).

• Upvote 1

If we look at Oladipo's body of work it's pretty bad, his rookie year sucked because he was a turnover machine and didn't score efficiently. Now he's off-the-ball and his efficiency has increased and the turnovers have dropped but his defense has suffered. Hell, many here would probably say that Tobias Harris hasn't had a great season but he still rates significantly better in most offensive metrics than Oladipo. He'll likely settle into being a decent starter but I think it's doubtful he'll ever be a great offensive player. Personally, I can't stand players who aren't aware of their own limitations. In the Dallas game he took 6 threes and was trying to split double teams even though he played almost 40 minutes the night before. Last night he was trash in the 1st half and was actively hurting the team with his hilarious air-balled layups into 2 defenders routine.

I only suggested trading him if there was a suitable replacement at this position (potentially someone like D'Angelo Russel who can shoot the lights out). I'm fine with having him on this team, but I don't like his current role and wish he played smarter.

Players this year who have a higher turnover percentage than Oladipo last year:

Kendall Marshall, shabazz Napier, rondo, Andre Miller, Steve Blake, elfrid Payton, ricky rubio, michael Carter Williams...

I think the biggest issue I have with this message board is everyone's lack of perspective.

On March 6th Oladipo is coming off of 70 points, 13 assists, 8 steals, and 7 rebounds with 59% shooting over a two game stretch.

At this point he is the next Wade, an elite player, the best pick in his draft, future all star.

On March 20th he's coming off a 3 game stretch of 70 points 13 assists, 16 rebounds, 6 steals on 39 % shooting.

At this point we're not as happy with him as we are vooch and Payton. We're discussing trading him. He's kind of disappointing.

Do you not see why this is infuriating? Can't he be somewhere in the middle? Can't we look at a large body of work and see value instead of only 4 days of sample size?

Speaking for myself, I never saw Dipo as the next Wade, even after his big games. He is wildly inconsistent and seems to be unaware of his limitations (e.g. tunnel vision as a ball handler, turnover prone and has poor shot selection). I've been posting this all year.

I think Dipo can become a decent second or third banana, but from a team perspective, I'm not sold that Easy + Dipo + Harris can work. By the way, I also think Easy, Harris and Vooch all have the ability to generate their own shots. Dipo can do it… with great inconsistency.

Anyway, I'm fine keeping Dipo and having him settle into a role, or I'm fine trading him (or anyone!) if it makes us a better team.

I am consistently surprised by the amount of criticism/negativity thrown Victor's way on this board. I guess I look at how he went from a massively under-recruited prospect, to a starter on his college team, to an all-american, to one of the best young players in the NBA who should have won player-of-the-week in his conference as recently as a few weeks ago over the likes of people like Lebron James. Isn't that massive improvement in a relatively short period of time?

He's by no means above criticism and there are certainly areas in which he needs to improve, but what exactly do you want him to be in his 2nd year in the league? Isn't he right on track or even somewhat ahead of it?

I am consistently surprised by the amount of criticism/negativity thrown Victor's way on this board. I guess I look at how he went from a massively under-recruited prospect, to a starter on his college team, to an all-american, to one of the best young players in the NBA who should have won player-of-the-week in his conference as recently as a few weeks ago over the likes of people like Lebron James. Isn't that massive improvement in a relatively short period of time?

He's by no means above criticism and there are certainly areas in which he needs to improve, but what exactly do you want him to be in his 2nd year in the league? Isn't he right on track or even somewhat ahead of it?

Right. I feel like, for what his expectations are, he's exceeding them.

He can't help his role right now. We asked him to play point guard. We asked him to take over the offense.

I feel like, in a hypothetical scenario where every player on the magic over 6'5 was out of the game, Oladipo would be criticised for trying to play center.

Players this year who have a higher turnover percentage than Oladipo last year:

Kendall Marshall, shabazz Napier, rondo, Andre Miller, Steve Blake, elfrid Payton, ricky rubio, michael Carter Williams...

I think Oladipo is better than most of those players, but you should also list their assist percentages compared to Oladipo's last years while you're at it.

No one has been more critical on here of Oladipo than me, but I think he's been impressive since the All-Star break. He still is out of control and doesn't know how to play within his own game, but his shooting has looked a lot better. I think the more Payton keeps improving, the more that will help Dipo as well.

There is nothing wrong with being critical of Dipo. He was the no2 pick in the draft and has been given the reigns to do whatever he wants on the court since he's been here. But, to me, he's finally showing the kind of player he can be which IMO is a pretty damn good one. I think a really good head coach(thibs?) will do wonders in helping Victor work on the flaws in his game, which are mainly brought on by himself.

And I would not trade Dipo for Noel unless I knew we were guaranteed Russell. But Dipo strait up for Noel, no thanks. I don't see the ceiling with Noel that other people do.