Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

That's delving way too far into hypotheticals. Let's just see him in a few preseason games before we anoint him as savior.

Yes but go look back at our analysis of him pre-draft and you may read my posts as pretty tame in comparison. lol

I do believe that talent + work ethic is the best formula for success and best chance of hitting the celling in the NBA.

One of our new assistants came from Dallas (Monte Mathis) and I read something a short while back where he said that AG was one of the hardest workers he'd ever seen and he'd spent almost a decade around Dirk (or something to that effect). It's people saying things like that that keep my dreams alive of AG blossoming into a superstar. But I'll certainly settle for Hezonja being a star if AG doesn't get there. :creaturedance:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-lowe-post-podcast-amin-elhassan-on-dante-exum-and-the-jazz-the-sixers-and-other-intriguing-teams/

Once again Zach Lowe re-iterated that last year the team wanted to badly make the playoffs. This to me suggests that management and ownership badly misjudged the roster and coach

You guys seem to think henny is safe, I don't. this team has to make serious progress this season or he's gone

• Upvote 2

You don't agree? Wow that's stunning.

I agree with Payton. Why would we play a traditional lineup when that is not how the strength of the team is built? I just explained how we could actually do pretty well on the boards since guys like Payton can still pull down rebounds off switches that most PGs can't get from a bigger player.

Remember, rebounding numbers also have to do with coaching strategy. The coach tells a team to either crash when a shot goes up or run down the court. You can't do both.

Focusing on interior defense is exactly the opposite of the point I was making. Small lineups don't do this. Traditional ones do.

I read what you "explained". However, you might be forgetting that we tried a lot of that same strategy last year. We were 25th in the league defensively, mostly due to poor interior defense. It also seemed like we could not get defensive rebounds when it mattered in close games. Just because you say we could "actually do pretty well" doesn't make it true, especially since the strategy didn't look good at all last year. IIRC, you had some theories last summer about why you thought no one would want to play last year's team because they would be so good defensively.

Now you can have 100 theories about why you think things will be different this year. And maybe you will be right. But it's very far from a sure thing.

I read what you "explained". However, you might be forgetting that we tried a lot of that same strategy last year. We were 25th in the league defensively, mostly due to poor interior defense. It also seemed like we could not get defensive rebounds when it mattered in close games. Just because you say we could "actually do pretty well" doesn't make it true, especially since the strategy didn't look good at all last year. IIRC, you had some theories last summer about why you thought no one would want to play last year's team because they would be so good defensively.

Now you can have 100 theories about why you think things will be different this year. And maybe you will be right. But it's very far from a sure thing.

The difference between us and the number 11 ranked team in rebounding was less than 1 rebounds per game...

Our interior defense was bad. So was our three point shooting defense.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-lowe-post-podcast-amin-elhassan-on-dante-exum-and-the-jazz-the-sixers-and-other-intriguing-teams/

Once again Zach Lowe re-iterated that last year the team wanted to badly make the playoffs. This to me suggests that management and ownership badly misjudged the roster and coach

You guys seem to think henny is safe, I don't. this team has to make serious progress this season or he's gone

Believe me when I tell you, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Hennigan is doing work in signing the rest of the Melvin Ejim's in the world. This will greatly help our offense by confusing the opponent. Capture.jpg

Believe me when I tell you, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe he doesn't, I don't think its wrong for him to be suspicious of the belief that our biggest weaknesses from a few months ago will be drastically improved when looking at our roster. We all expect improvement, some more so than others. We underachieved last year; even if we don't improve this year as long was we don't underachieve there should be a marked increase in our record. Throw in some improvement from Payton, AG, and hopefully Vic...and a good Mario Hezonja then by all measures we should see a significant improvement in every category.

It also seemed like we could not get defensive rebounds when it mattered in close games.

And yet we were 8th in the league in DRB%, indicating that what it "seemed like" to you was completely at odds with the actual realities of NBA basketball played last season.

Seems like that's more of a problem with your ability to process information than it is with the Magic's defensive rebounding.

Maybe he doesn't, I don't think its wrong for him to be suspicious of the belief that our biggest weaknesses from a few months ago will be drastically improved when looking at our roster. We all expect improvement, some more so than others. We underachieved last year; even if we don't improve this year as long was we don't underachieve there should be a marked increase in our record. Throw in some improvement from Payton, AG, and hopefully Vic...and a good Mario Hezonja then by all measures we should see a significant improvement in every category.

Oh, no. That's perfectly reasonable to expect weaknesses or be pessimistic.

It's kinda dumb to say Hennigan is on the hot seat this year. If he was, there would have been no extension or a one year extension.

That's not how the nba works. GMs don't get fired for W/L record. GMs get fired for making poor moves or poor planning.

This is what will happen before Hennigan is fired:

1. He'll start spending a bunch of money on guys that will give us incremental improvement. Like what Sacramento is doing.

2. He'll start mortgaging the future for trades that might put us over the hump.

Ownership always pushes for changes in the plan before changes in personnel.

If we do move from development to win at all costs he's going to get a full year to see the results of the change in plan. Thus, it's extremely unlikely that Hennigan is fired this year