Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

I have (at least) three wishes for this offseason:

1. Get A Proven Coach - I really want Thibs to man the bench for our team.

2. Get Proven Shooter(s) - I really want to improve our 3-point shooting. Get one or two bombers. (Currently, we rank in the bottom third of the league in 3-pointers attempted and made: http://espn.go.com/n...tFieldGoalsMade). Trade for JJ smile.gif?

3. Get Proven Frontcourt Defenders - Henny failed miserably in addressing the PF position for this team and it shows. Vooch is a great offensive talent, but our PF spot has been swiss cheese. We need a rim protector in the worst way.

I think Henny is now clearly on the clock, though I think the Magic have a clean cap and good young pieces. Still as a team we look immature and flawed. I expect to see a major trade or two this summer, as I don't see us attracting any stud free agents or improving in the short-term via the draft. In my dream scenario, we sign Thibs and trade for Gibson or Noah. Sure, throw the max at Leonard… why not? Through some means, something has got to happen to grow and even out this team. Go Magic!

1. Get lucky in the draft - top 3 somehow and take Russell - There is your backup PG/SG who can hit 3s and is probably better than everyone else on this team.

2. Get Thibs. This is more key than anything as the Magic need a real coach who can maximize the talent of this roster.

3. If you let Harris walk, sign a top SF in FA. The Magic desperately need a starting caliber SF. They must do whatever it takes to replace Harris. Or, resign Harris and go after Danny Green. Let those guys battle it out for the starting job.

4. Offer Draymon Green or Paul Milsap the max. The Magic can open their pocketbooks with the impending cap growth and they clearly need a stud veteran in their prime. Adding Danny Green and Milsap or Draymon would fill a lot of holes on this team, add shooting even more defense to the roster.

Start the season with Thibs coaching a deeper roster rotation of Payton/Victo/Rusell Green/Harris/Harkless Millsap/Gordon/Vuc/Dedmon

That should be a playoff team.

1. Get lucky in the draft - top 3 somehow and take Russell - There is your backup PG/SG who can hit 3s and is probably better than everyone else on this team.

2. Get Thibs. This is more key than anything as the Magic need a real coach who can maximize the talent of this roster.

3. If you let Harris walk, sign a top SF in FA. The Magic desperately need a starting caliber SF. They must do whatever it takes to replace Harris. Or, resign Harris and go after Danny Green. Let those guys battle it out for the starting job.

4. Offer Draymon Green or Paul Milsap the max. The Magic can open their pocketbooks with the impending cap growth and they clearly need a stud veteran in their prime. Adding Danny Green and Milsap or Draymon would fill a lot of holes on this team, add shooting even more defense to the roster.

Start the season with Thibs coaching a deeper roster rotation of Payton/Victo/Rusell Green/Harris/Harkless Millsap/Gordon/Vuc/Dedmon

That should be a playoff team.

1. Unfortunately we are seeing that hoping for high draft picks to transform this team is at best a crapshoot.

2. Unfortunately odds are probably against this also.

3 & 4. Agree but now we're talking about signing not one but two top free agents. Doing so might really improve the team but can it be pulled off?

1. Unfortunately we are seeing that hoping for high draft picks to transform this team is at best a crapshoot.

2. Unfortunately odds are probably against this also.

3 & 4. Agree but now we're talking about signing not one but two top free agents. Doing so might really improve the team but can it be pulled off?

I think we have a shot at Thibs to be honest. A top 3 pick will take some classic Pat Williams luck though.

Free Agency - It can be pulled off since Rob can structure contracts very well. He knows that the cap increase is coming and can craft aggressive contracts accordingly. The Magic have handled cap space better than most teams and can easily take on some more prominent free agents if they so choose.

I think we have a shot at Thibs to be honest. A top 3 pick will take some classic Pat Williams luck though.

Free Agency - It can be pulled off since Rob can structure contracts very well. He knows that the cap increase is coming and can craft aggressive contracts accordingly. The Magic have handled cap space better than most teams and can easily take on some more prominent free agents if they so choose.

Pat Williams was at the last ping pong event.

I agree that the Magic can easily take on some more prominent free agents, but how many prominent free agents are willing to sign with a team who has been a bottom feeder three years running? The escalated cap will enable a lot of .500 teams who are only one prominent free agent away from being a contender. I don't mean to come on as Debbie Downer, and I hope I'm wrong, but my gut feeling says this is going to be a tough row to hoe. I think we we have a better chance at getting lucky in the draft.

I agree that the Magic can easily take on some more prominent free agents, but how many prominent free agents are willing to sign with a team who has been a bottom feeder three years running? The escalated cap will enable a lot of .500 teams who are only one prominent free agent away from being a contender. I don't mean to come on as Debbie Downer, and I hope I'm wrong, but my gut feeling says this is going to be a tough row to hoe. I think we we have a better chance at getting lucky in the draft.

That's what I was getting at before also. Interestingly, because of that reasoning, it's slightly possible that signing two would actually be easier than just one because each would know that the team is making a major upgrade.

Still very much a long shot in my opinion, though.

I'm watching Draymond Green for the first time this evening and HOLY COW - he is what we need next to Vooch.

I don't know if he's worth a "max" contract, but he's definitely the perfect defensive / shooting compliment to Vucci-mane.