Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

Bulls now have Gasol, Gibson, Mirotic, Portis more or less for the same position... Not all are needed and 2 are young players with upside that ahould get minutes.

Anyway FA is not the only way to get a player,this mentality goes well with our horrible offseasen with the exception of the draft

Well beside what i wrote above, max contarct is one apect , you can add player options or play with the years, could still not work but give it a try. now that we signed Tobias it alittle diffrent , but i would also check Taj Gibson , i feel that a front cort defence is someting that will adrees a big need for our team

Huh, you're replies in this thread have been extremely strange.

Are you high, sir?

I'm pretty sure you're having a conversation with an 8 year old (or maybe it's Jareth, I dunno). Give him a break lol.

:writing_thinking:/>

Apologies if this has already been linked

The good news is most of Harris’ shortcomings are relatively minor: keeping his hands up on defense, closing out on shooters with more urgency, and fighting through picks being chief among them. Last season, the Orlando’s defensive rating with Harris on the court was a woeful 106.7. That number dropped to a much more respectable 102.9 with him on the bench. Skiles may not be the most player-friendly coach in the world, but he should be able to do wonders in making Harris a better all-around player.

With league executives continuing to trend in the direction of the Golden State Warriors’ style of pace-and-space offense, you’d figure a player as versatile as Harris would’ve garnered more offseason attention — especially when some have gone so far as to describe the Islip, New York native as a poor man’s Carmelo Anthony. Harris certainly isn’t as gifted a scorer as ‘Melo, but his price tag at least made him a viable option for teams in search of scoring punch.

At his age, Harris still has plenty of time to take his game to the next level — at both ends of the floor. Sure, there’s always the possibility that Harris’ marked improvement from the perimeter last season was an aberration — which, if coupled with continued neglect at the defensive end, could make him nothing more than an inefficient ball-stopper.

At the same time, there’s merit in teams attacking free agency with the idea of paying players for future output, not past accomplishments. And with the salary cap set to rise even more over the next few seasons — the product of a new multi-billion dollar television partnership — the Magic will likely be able to look back at their $60 million gamble as a worthwhile one. (Harris’ projected $14.4 million salary will eat up 21 percent of the Magic’s cap space next year, assuming the league-mandated cap holds at the projected $67.1 million, but with that figure expected to rise to $81.6 million for the 2016–17 season, his salary will occupy considerably less of Orlando’s largesse.)

Considering Harris’ versatility and potential — which could fall anywhere from second banana on a contender to an outright star — he might end up being this summer’s biggest bargain.

https://the-cauldron...in-ef48c5bb1388

Since we are sharing crappy links to attempt to validate a point here you go:

Rant Sports, Magic offseason B+, team should be a playoff contender

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/07/13/grading-the-orlando-magics-2015-nba-free-agency/

Apologies if this has already been linked

[/size]

https://the-cauldron...in-ef48c5bb1388

I think there is one person in America that believe Harris is overpaid at this point. Good breakdown in that article.

C+ is a fair rating of our off-season. We kept a guy, drafted a good player and added a few backups. Signing Millsap would have been a B+. Signing Aldridge would have been a A+.

The additions were incremental improvements. The season will be defined by who is already on the roster, not the additions (unless Hezonja comes out of the gate like crazy but a typical rookie year from someone like him is basically what Fournier did last year).

I don't have a huge issue with a C+. The reason I think in retrospect this will be looked at a letter grade higher or more is because I expect Harris to play better this season (making his contract value very good) and I believe Hezonja could become a star player.

But that is in the future, plus these grades are essentially meaningless now.

C+ is a fair rating of our off-season. We kept a guy, drafted a good player and added a few backups. Signing Millsap would have been a B+. Signing Aldridge would have been a A+.

The additions were incremental improvements. The season will be defined by who is already on the roster, not the additions (unless Hezonja comes out of the gate like crazy but a typical rookie year from someone like him is basically what Fournier did last year).

Agreed, We didn't make any exciting moves but upgrading the backup PG position with a proven vet is huge in my eyes. C+ is more than fair

Interesting stuff from Summer league. Mudiay was the best rookie PG, averaging 12 points and 5.8 assists in four games. He also averaged 3.5 rebounds and 1.2 steals.

He outplayed Russell for the most part. I am really interested in if many of us wrong about Russell and he does end up struggling at the next level. We won't really know for a while about this though. But while Mudiay is not a good shooter, he seems to be able to make up for it in many other ways.

Porzingis was actually pretty good. He averaged 10.5 points on 48 percent shooting and 1.8 blocks per game. He also played center and was not getting pushed around. Time may show that the Knicks may have made a good pick here.

I also am interested in this because Mario, to me, looks like a guy who could win the ROY. It really matters how many minutes he gets, and it may be tough since guys like Towns are really good and should be starting. But the Magic may have gotten a break here and gotten that lottery star they needed at pick 5. This is just early guesswork, Rusell could easily develop into a beast, but there not much else to talk about. I watched some summer league this weekend and nobody really stuck out that hard star power to me any more than Mario. There is something special about this guy IMO.

Also, from the NY post :

The future of undrafted 6-foot-9 power forward Maurice Ndour (9.6 points per game, 51.1 percent shooting, 4.8 rebounds) of Ohio University is unclear. The Senegal native, who played Japanese high school basketball, impressed with his energy and mid-range shot, but Fisher indicated his camp invite could come with another team that affords more opportunity.

“Maurice was solid, he brought energy and activity to our game,’’ Fisher said. “He showed ability to shoot fairly well and defend, block shots, rebound. He represented himself well. We may not be able to keep him. Our roster’s filling up pretty fast.’’

Wonder if Rob is looking at any front court players like this who are under the radar.

Bradford Doolittle ranking young cores of the NBA....Here was his criterion:

Today we're ranking the top young cores across the league using projected three-year WARP. The error bars on these kinds of forecasts are large by nature. For one thing, young players are inherently more difficult to project than veterans. And once you get beyond the coming season, the picture changes in ways that even the best projection model can't foresee.

But we do the best we can with the data available, and try to anticipate aging curves using factors like age, experience, athletic indicators and draft slot. Nevertheless, if a player has a low statistical baseline from whence to grow a projection, it's tough to predict All-Star production.

In the end, the system is a little biased toward players with at least some positive NBA production already under their belts. Still, this is a great way to glimpse the teams strictly through the prism of the young talent that they have accumulated. That's defined here as any player likely to be on the roster who won't yet be 26 by the end of the 2015-16 regular season. For some teams, including our top-ranked club, the good news just keeps getting better. For others, well, you can always just disagree.

Number 1 team is....

1. Milwaukee Bucks (Projected three-year WARP: 92.5)

Key young players: John Henson, Greg Monroe, Khris Middleton, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Michael Carter-Williams, Jabari Parker

The Bucks cemented this spot when they signed free-agent Monroe this summer. Monroe doesn't turn 26 until June of next season, yet he likely will be the oldest member of a Milwaukee starting lineup that will grow together over the next few years. Middleton has already established himself as one of the top 10 shooting guards in the league, and if we were re-selecting the 2013 draft, Antetokounmpo might be the first player taken (though it would probably be Utah's Rudy Gobert). And these numbers are almost certainly underselling Parker, whose rookie numbers don't give him a great baseline from which to project.

Number 2 is....

2. New Orleans Pelicans (90.6)

Key young players: Anthony Davis, Jrue Holiday

The Pellies aren't really that young of a team, with only two players likely to be on the roster who fit the criteria for these ratings. But one of them is a doozy: By the method used here to generate three-year forecasts, Davis not only tops all young players, he tops all players period, regardless of service time

Number 3 is...

3. Utah Jazz (90.0)

Key young players: Rudy Gobert, Derrick Favors, Trey Burke, Rodney Hood, Alec Burks, Dante Exum, Trey Lyles

Gobert's amazing second season buoys a young Utah core that is brimming with both talent and depth. Gobert's three-year forecast ranks third among under-26 players. If Exum makes a second-year leap, it's quite possible the Jazz will top these rankings if we revisit them during the season.

4. is Celtics

5. is Sixers

6. is Blazers

7. is Charlotte

8. is Raptors

9. is.....

9. Orlando Magic (70.1)

Key young players: Nikola Vucevic, Tobias Harris, Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo, Aaron Gordon, Mario Hezonja, Evan Fournier

Orlando's talent is well stocked at every position, which gives new coach Scott Skiles a lot of options when it comes to forging his key units going forward. We know he'll have a defensive group as one of his preferred lineups, and the Magic have the versatility and athleticism to make a major leap on that end this season

10. is Pistons

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/13284788/nba-ranking-young-cores-nba

LoL

Not even worth your time. The writer makes the argument against this list in the first two paragraphs.

Warp is about as reliable as astrology when projecting young players.