Sign in to follow this  
Jay Magic

The Orlando Magic Sack Jacque Vaughn

Maybe I'm completely off base here but I thought Stan had mentally checked out when Dwight had made his decision he was leaving. He didn't have any desire to go through a complete rebuild and it wasn't his forte or maybe he was above it.

Based on multiple comments that he's made, it's pretty clear that he doesn't support the strategy of making yourself as bad as possible for years in order to try and secure the highest draft picks. I doubt he would have been willing to stay on if that was the course the team was determined to take.

Is it just me, or did Karl's tweets come off as kind of desperate? I mean, I've said in recent posts I would want Karl if he were at all interested and health wasn't a concern... but those tweets and his overtness publicly to be placed on our sideline kind of rubs me the wrong way as a professional basketball coach.

Does anyone else think, like me, he just took a dip down on the Magic's want list, if he was even up there to begin with?

So it rubs you the wrong way that a veteran, proven, coach wants to be on our bench coaching this team? I take it the opposite way, I take it as he sees what this team is doing. Sees that management is looking for results and believes not only can he coach this team to playoff success, but also can develop the talent on this team to become a really good team. If anything, I think him being this open, and this hungry to get back into coaching and is showing he is wanting this job...I would hire the man.

So it rubs you the wrong way that a veteran, proven, coach wants to be on our bench coaching this team? I take it the opposite way, I take it as he sees what this team is doing. Sees that management is looking for results and believes not only can he coach this team to playoff success, but also can develop the talent on this team to become a really good team. If anything, I think him being this open, and this hungry to get back into coaching and is showing he is wanting this job...I would hire the man.

I agree

Oh - I think that if he had called privately and voiced that he were interested, he would be at the top of my list!

However, there is a professionality to being a head coach. You do things a certain way from a P.R. standpoint - and MANY organizations care about this professionalism that permeates a team culture. To be a veteran coach and to put out tweets that essentially says "Pick me! Pick me!" like a toddler seems rather juvenile. He tweeted an official statement he wants to work for the Magic, and then retweets a photoshopped picture of himself. You push this hard privately, not publicly on social media. What's to say that he won't tweet he just had a private meeting with Alex Martins and Rob Hennigan? You keep meetings and mutual interest private until it is announced and officially public.

I'm just letting you know I would love him as a basketball coach, but I really do question how sending those tweets will effect the Magic's potential perception of him - either positively or negatively.

Oh - I think that if he had called privately and voiced that he were interested, he would be at the top of my list!

However, there is a professionality to being a head coach. You do things a certain way from a P.R. standpoint - and MANY organizations care about this professionalism that permeates a team culture. To be a veteran coach and to put out tweets that essentially says "Pick me! Pick me!" like a toddler seems rather juvenile. He tweeted an official statement he wants to work for the Magic, and then retweets a photoshopped picture of himself. You push this hard privately, not publicly on social media. What's to say that he won't tweet he just had a private meeting with Alex Martins and Rob Hennigan? You keep meetings and mutual interest private until it is announced and officially public.

I'm just letting you know I would love him as a basketball coach, but I really do question how sending those tweets will effect the Magic's potential perception of him - either positively or negatively.

I don't think his tweeted a statement states overtly that he wants to coach the Magic. What he said was he misses the NBA and would like to coach one more time. He likes the skill and speed of the Magic, and he great young players around the league. He's praised the team, but not said whether he would want the job here or not, which at this time is debatable because many expect him to coach a team in a better position to contend or a west coast team [if he does coach again].

As for the perception of him being desperate, I don't think that's the case. He's currently a media guy, and while he's no Jon Gruden, he's still going to embrace his position and tease fans when his name comes up when jobs become available. All he's done so far is praise the talent we have, and state that he wants to coach again. While some have taken his words as an overt statement that he wants to coach our team, I don't think it's that clear cut.

Karl on Orlando: I’ve had no communication with them. If it happens, it happens. If they had interest in me, I’d have interest in them.

Is it just me, or did Karl's tweets come off as kind of desperate? I mean, I've said in recent posts I would want Karl if he were at all interested and health wasn't a concern... but those tweets and his overtness publicly to be placed on our sideline kind of rubs me the wrong way as a professional basketball coach.

Does anyone else think, like me, he just took a dip down on the Magic's want list, if he was even up there to begin with?

I think that it's just a changing world that we live in now. I actually find it kind of refreshing that a person of his age actually tweets.

I don't think his tweeted a statement states overtly that he wants to coach the Magic. What he said was he misses the NBA and would like to coach one more time. He likes the skill and speed of the Magic, and he great young players around the league. He's praised the team, but not said whether he would want the job here or not, which at this time is debatable because many expect him to coach a team in a better position to contend or a west coast team [if he does coach again].

As for the perception of him being desperate, I don't think that's the case. He's currently a media guy, and while he's no Jon Gruden, he's still going to embrace his position and tease fans when his name comes up when jobs become available. All he's done so far is praise the talent we have, and state that he wants to coach again. While some have taken his words as an overt statement that he wants to coach our team, I don't think it's that clear cut.

I suppose I can concede that as a media personality, he is indeed stirring the pot. I guess I never took Karl as a goofy kind of guy to tease fans in such a manner. When I see him, I think Hoosier's Gene Hackman - very straight forward and knows how to get the most out of his players. This stunt - if it was just a stunt to toy with the fans - went against my natural personality assumption I had for him. It was much more "Gruden-like" as you put it.

As a fan, I suppose I like it more. From the mentality of an executive, I suppose I'm a little disuaded, but winning is winning, and regardless of social media, I want the coach who will put together the best team that will work well with management (hence no Mark Jackson or Tom Thibadaeu in my mind).

Karl on Orlando: I’ve had no communication with them. If it happens, it happens. If they had interest in me, I’d have interest in them.

I doubt the Magic have reached out to a coach yet. My thinking is they give the players the next four games to see how they respond with Borrego. If they go 0-4 with 2-3 being legitimately winnable games, I think you call coaches over the All-Star break and find someone to come in and clean things up.

http://origin.nbcbayarea.nbcsports.com/kings/report-kings-ramping-search-replace-corbin

Sounds like the Sacramento Kings are beginning to ramp up their search for a new head coach. This could prove to be quite interesting to see if the Kings and Magic compete for some of the same candidates, and whether this pushes either team to make a quicker decision on their next head coach.

I doubt the Magic have reached out to a coach yet. My thinking is they give the players the next four games to see how they respond with Borrego. If they go 0-4 with 2-3 being legitimately winnable games, I think you call coaches over the All-Star break and find someone to come in and clean things up.

I don't think that is necessarily the case if the team decides to tank the remainder of this season to land another high draft pick. I know they want to be competitive, and I want to see us be competitive as well. But Alex Martins came out with an interesting comment yesterday at the press conference:

"We feel like we're still going to turn the corner. We may have to take a little bit of a U-turn here in the short-term. But we're just not where we expected or feel we should be."

This can be taken different ways. One way is that firing Vaughn is the u-turn, and his replacement will be the catalyst to turning the corner. However, one could also say that maybe the team will tank one more year to land another high draft pick, thus the u-turn being going from the aim of being competitive to tanking, and once the season is over the aim will be to turn the corner and make serious progression.

For me, I wouldn't be surprised to see this team tank the rest of this season.