Sign in to follow this  
Jay Magic

The Orlando Magic Sack Jacque Vaughn

From Pelton's article:

Three years in, the Magic's rebuilding process has turned up some interesting pieces. Now the question is whether they can fit together to create a cohesive team capable of contending for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. If Orlando's next coach can't find a way to make that happen, the next change might be in the front office.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12284163/nba-jacque-vaughn-unable-fit-orlando-magic-pieces-together

Here's the thing… I think Pelton is totally correct. The Magic have a flawed roster.

I think Henny has accumulated a bunch of great young assets and cleared the Magic of salary cap purgatory. Do all the current pieces fit together? I don't think so. We are still dying for a rim protector, more consistent outside shooting… and a star. Henny now must find these pieces (or our pups must grow up) if we want to win.

That being said, I still think JV is a young coach who really struggled to find any sort of plan to provide consistency. His rotations were flat out mind-boggling (desperate) over the last month, and he needed to go. I wish him the very best.

• Upvote 2

From Pelton's article:

[/size]

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12284163/nba-jacque-vaughn-unable-fit-orlando-magic-pieces-together

Here's the thing… I think Pelton is totally correct. The Magic have a flawed roster.

I think Henny has accumulated a bunch of great young assets and cleared the Magic of salary cap purgatory. Do all the current pieces fit together? I don't think so. We are still dying for a rim protector, more consistent outside shooting… and a star. Henny now must find these pieces (or our pups must grow up) if we want to win.

That being said, I still think JV is a young coach who really struggled to find any sort of plan to provide consistency. His rotations were flat out mind-boggling (desperate) over the last month, and he needed to go. I wish him the very best.

Well said.

From Pelton's article:

[/size]

I think the piece the Magic are missing is that star player. Now if Hennigan had the opportunity to draft a star player and missed, then I think there's a chance his job could be in jeopardy. I, however, have not found that to be the case. I think the GM is as safe as can be for a while, for all the reasons you have stated.

I think the piece the Magic are missing is that star player. Now if Hennigan had the opportunity to draft a star player and missed, then I think there's a chance his job could be in jeopardy. I, however, have not found that to be the case. I think the GM is as safe as can be for a while, for all the reasons you have stated.

I agree. We got shafted last draft plain and simple. Should have been a top 3 choice. The good news is aside from Payton who we have, none of the other rookies past Gordon have done much to separate themselves from the class.

In a way Vaughn is getting the short end and even though he had to go I feel the injuries and bad luck played a bigger role than we might give credit for.

more thirst from karl, this is too funny. the guy tweeting at him is a magic fan.

George Karl ‏@CoachKarl22 3h3 hours ago

“@NickTheQuick224: Come save us Karl! We're loaded with young talent they just need some guidance!”<-Definitely some great young talent!

more thirst from karl, this is too funny. the guy tweeting at him is a magic fan.

There's no doubt he can relate to the young talent on this team, with Gucci Mane being one of his fav rappers.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Junkie on the Radio telling Scott Anez to read Pelton's latest article.

Anez is the worst. Can't believe his gator homerism Billy Donnavan. Go do the traffic somewhere.

Anez is the worst. Can't believe his gator homerism Billy Donnavan. Go do the traffic somewhere.

He's started going for "hot takes" too often lately. I had to stop listening.

No thanks to Ewing.

Waiting until summer opens up several intriguing options. The first of these is Alvin Gentry, currently an assistant with the Warriors. Gentry led the 2010 Suns to the Western Conference Finals. He can coach an up-tempo style that still emphasizes defense, and helped develop young talent as part of D'Antoni's staff in Phoenix. He's a former player with the respect of those around the league and can balance discipline while not being too hard on a roster that will have growing pains.

Nate McMillan, having spent time as an assistant with the Pacers, knows how to develop a young roster and get them to defend, as he did with the late-00's Trail Blazers. He's another strong choice.

A lesser-known coach, and therefore unlikely given that the Magic will likely want a proven coach following Vaughn, but one that deserves a look, is Nick Nurse. Nurse is with the Toronto Raptors, won a title as a D-League coach, and is well-regarded.

The elephant in the room of course is Charlotte Hornets assistant Patrick Ewing, who has wanted a head coaching gig for years, and has a history with the organization.

http://www.cbssports...ire-a-new-coach