Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

GAMETHREAD: ORLANDO vs Washington

I really like JV as a person, but I said when they first hired him as HC that we should really have someone with more experience in there. A rookie coach with a bunch of rookie and young players going through a ground-up rebuild...

That was an experiment that was doomed to failure.

And how exactly has it failed? Orlando is on the third year from an overhaul of an entire roster change, with a roster that has about 3 people over the age of 25. The team has played, by far, bar none, the most brutal schedule of any team in the league and one of the hardest one's in team history. Despite all this they have beaten who they should have beaten and competed against teams no one would give them a chance against. All this while handling constant injuries to very key members of the roster and a rotating lineup that has no chance at continuity, which as we know is critical to a young roster.

All this and yet the magic are only a few games out of a playoff spot. The schedule becomes significantly less difficult over the next few months and players are finally getting healthy and returning. If things go as they should, Orlando easily should make it in as a 7th or 8th seed in the east, maybe as even high as fifth or sixth if they start really pouring it on.

So if in year 3 of the "Vaughn Experiment" Orlando is a playoff team with several young players like Harris, Payton, Oladipo and Vucevic all showing improvement (Two of which could be consider close to all-star level) is a failure, what in the holy hell would you consider a success?

• Upvote 1

Haven't seen any of the O'Quinn fan club talking about his recent games lately. Can't wait to see him have another big game so they come out of the woodwork with their point somehow proven again.

Haven't seen any of the O'Quinn fan club talking about his recent games lately. Can't wait to see him have another big game so they come out of the woodwork with their point somehow proven again.

Recent games or recent game? Kyle is not a starter on this team and never will be, but the last 2 games he played in before last night he shot 10/12 FG, 5/5 FT, 3 BLKS, and 1/1 3PT in a total of 36 minutes. Not too bad for a back up player who is making $915,243 salary. For the year he is averaging 53% FG, 87% FT, almost 10 PTS, and 4.6 RBS in less than 18 minutes per game. His stats last night were not that good, so now you decide is the time to slam him? The Magic television commentators last night were talking about how much his game has improved this year, so I'm not sure where the hate is coming from towards a back up player who is obviously stepping up his game.

Recent games or recent game? Kyle is not a starter on this team and never will be, but the last 2 games he played in before last night he shot 10/12 FG, 5/5 FT, 3 BLKS, and 1/1 3PT in a total of 36 minutes. Not too bad for a back up player who is making $915,243 salary. For the year he is averaging 53% FG, 87% FT, almost 10 PTS, and 4.6 RBS in less than 18 minutes per game. His stats last night were not that good, so now you decide is the time to slam him? The Magic television commentators last night were talking about how much his game has improved this year, so I'm not sure where the hate is coming from towards a back up player who is obviously stepping up his game.

I would like to point out that if you take those numbers to 36 minutes per game, he is averaging 20 points and 9.2 rebounds... SOMEONE is going to give him money this summer if he keeps this up.... He CAN be a starter in this league. He's a complimentary player, but he IS a guy who does multiple things well to help make the scorers' jobs easier.

O'Quinn with his work-man mentality, great big-man passing ability, solid shot selection, and selfless play will be paid by someone next year. I think Vuc and O'Quinn are perfect compliments and that if Harris is given a max contract by someone like the Knicks this summer, having a future of Vuc-O'Quinn, Gordon, Oladipo, Payton is a GREAT line-up (provided Gordon and Oladipo develop consistent jump shots).

So you wanted a big man defending a guard running around screens?

There was plenty of time for a catch and shoot

No. I wanted a big man planted in the paint.

And how exactly has it failed? Orlando is on the third year from an overhaul of an entire roster change, with a roster that has about 3 people over the age of 25. The team has played, by far, bar none, the most brutal schedule of any team in the league and one of the hardest one's in team history. Despite all this they have beaten who they should have beaten and competed against teams no one would give them a chance against. All this while handling constant injuries to very key members of the roster and a rotating lineup that has no chance at continuity, which as we know is critical to a young roster.

All this and yet the magic are only a few games out of a playoff spot. The schedule becomes significantly less difficult over the next few months and players are finally getting healthy and returning. If things go as they should, Orlando easily should make it in as a 7th or 8th seed in the east, maybe as even high as fifth or sixth if they start really pouring it on.

So if in year 3 of the "Vaughn Experiment" Orlando is a playoff team with several young players like Harris, Payton, Oladipo and Vucevic all showing improvement (Two of which could be consider close to all-star level) is a failure, what in the holy hell would you consider a success?

Right. Vaughn has problems. Vaughn might not be the right guy. But let's at least be honest with the assessment here

This man here makes sense.

Shot well sure but he was also losing minutes to Dedmon. I'm not saying his useless I was just trying to say I don't see him as a starter as he isn't very consistent.

Shot well sure but he was also losing minutes to Dedmon. I'm not saying his useless I was just trying to say I don't see him as a starter as he isn't very consistent.

The only reason he is starting is because Vuc is out, and he's not losing minutes to Dedmon, he's sharing minutes with him because Vuc is out. Dedmon has also improved his game this year, but Kyle is a better shooter and passer. I'm not sure how you can say that Kyle is not consistent when you look at his percentages this year except for his 4/15 shooting in his last game.

I'm not sure how you can say that Kyle is not consistent when you look at his percentages this year except for his 4/15 shooting in his last game.

When someone has played fewer than 10 games, you don't really get to discount anything as an anomaly.

I would like to point out that if you take those numbers to 36 minutes per game, he is averaging 20 points and 9.2 rebounds... SOMEONE is going to give him money this summer if he keeps this up.... He CAN be a starter in this league. He's a complimentary player, but he IS a guy who does multiple things well to help make the scorers' jobs easier.

O'Quinn with his work-man mentality, great big-man passing ability, solid shot selection, and selfless play will be paid by someone next year. I think Vuc and O'Quinn are perfect compliments and that if Harris is given a max contract by someone like the Knicks this summer, having a future of Vuc-O'Quinn, Gordon, Oladipo, Payton is a GREAT line-up (provided Gordon and Oladipo develop consistent jump shots).

O'Quinn absolutely could be a starting C in the NBA, which in turn would make him one of, if not the absolute, worst starting C in the NBA.