Sign in to follow this  
LaVar

Is Harris Wanting out?

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/12/8/7354863/orlando-magic-nba-rumor-tobias-harris-free-agent-2015-salary-basketball-insiders

Harris' "camp" will, according to Kyler, seek an "unfavorable" offer sheet to try to force the Magic's hand.

I was reading this post and was surprised. Does harris want out of Orlando? I dont hope this is not the case. I agree that if he keeps up his production, he will get 12-14 million. I want to keep him but I dont want a player unhappy or someone that will hinder our growth as a team. He seems to like it here. what are your thoughts on the situation?

I also read something about him wanting to get paid in NY.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/12/8/7354863/orlando-magic-nba-rumor-tobias-harris-free-agent-2015-salary-basketball-insiders

Harris' "camp" will, according to Kyler, seek an "unfavorable" offer sheet to try to force the Magic's hand.

I was reading this post and was surprised. Does harris want out of Orlando? I dont hope this is not the case. I agree that if he keeps up his production, he will get 12-14 million. I want to keep him but I dont want a player unhappy or someone that will hinder our growth as a team. He seems to like it here. what are your thoughts on the situation?

I severely doubt that he is looking for a way out of Orlando. If anything he wants to make sure he gets a max deal. And if he continues his rate of play, he is getting one, no question.

I severely doubt that he is looking for a way out of Orlando. If anything he wants to make sure he gets a max deal. And if he continues his rate of play, he is getting one, no question.

do you think we will make a max contract?

By unfavorable he means unfavorable to the Magic. Pretty much a stupid way of saying he will sign an offer sheet with the most palatable team who offers him a max or near match contract and make us match. This was always the risk with not extending him.

We cannot look at the Harris situation in a vacuum, but rather what it will mean to our future financial flexibility. Would signing Harris to a max deal keep us from extending Oladipo, Fournier, Payton, or Gordon? What about KOQ? Unfortunately, this team does lack offensive punch and Harris brings that in an otherwise generally defensive-minded team.

In general, I like Harris, but do not know if he defensively brings the intangibles of a player you give max money too (though I love his heart and leadership qualities). I will trust Henny to do what he thinks is best. The man has yet to be wrong. If he lets Harris walk, it will be because he believes he has other ways of filling that hole that will bring about greater overall value to the team in the end to make a championship run.

We cannot look at the Harris situation in a vacuum, but rather what it will mean to our future financial flexibility. Would signing Harris to a max deal keep us from extending Oladipo, Fournier, Payton, or Gordon? What about KOQ? Unfortunately, this team does lack offensive punch and Harris brings that in an otherwise generally defensive-minded team.

In general, I like Harris, but do not know if he defensively brings the intangibles of a player you give max money too (though I love his heart and leadership qualities). I will trust Henny to do what he thinks is best. The man has yet to be wrong. If he lets Harris walk, it will be because he believes he has other ways of filling that hole that will bring about greater overall value to the team in the end to make a championship run.

Kawhi Leonard?

I think that if we did sign Harris to a max, we could easily move him later on if we needed to go in another direction with some of our other players. Harris will be 23 his first year of his new contract, early days still!

do you think we will make a max contract?

If he continues this rate of play he most assuredly will. And I would have no problem with the Magic paying him it. He's putting up damn near all-star level numbers and he is only 22. This is only his second year of consistent playing time and his first year of being a consistent starter.

A lot of you guys also keep forgetting, the cap is due for a big increase in the coming years. Even after the Gordon and Frye signings Orlando is still one of the lowest salary level teams in the league (if I remember the Frye signing was needed just to hit the cap floor). With the new TV deal and if Harris continues to play at his current level (or even better) his contract will look much better in a few years. It won't jeopardize some of the other signings.

If he continues this rate of play he most assuredly will. And I would have no problem with the Magic paying him it. He's putting up damn near all-star level numbers and he is only 22. This is only his second year of consistent playing time and his first year of being a consistent starter.

A lot of you guys also keep forgetting, the cap is due for a big increase in the coming years. Even after the Gordon and Frye signings Orlando is still one of the lowest salary level teams in the league (if I remember the Frye signing was needed just to hit the cap floor). With the new TV deal and if Harris continues to play at his current level (or even better) his contract will look much better in a few years. It won't jeopardize some of the other signings.

Has anyone wondered if our talk of "max salary" will someone take into consideration increasing players' contract numbers as well when the cap goes up? As in increasing a certain %? I just don't see some players, if the cap increases by $10-$20 million a year, being okay with only being able to make a certain amount of money because of a previously unknown change. I see the NBAPA fighting this one to have current salaries be increased to equitable value. It might not happen fully, but I can see a $15 contract being increased to $17-$18 million under the new cap.

Has anyone wondered if our talk of "max salary" will someone take into consideration increasing players' contract numbers as well when the cap goes up? As in increasing a certain %? I just don't see some players, if the cap increases by $10-$20 million a year, being okay with only being able to make a certain amount of money because of a previously unknown change. I see the NBAPA fighting this one to have current salaries be increased to equitable value. It might not happen fully, but I can see a $15 contract being increased to $17-$18 million under the new cap.

Not sure why you believe this could happen now when nothing like that has ever happened in the past when the salary cap has increased?

Has anyone wondered if our talk of "max salary" will someone take into consideration increasing players' contract numbers as well when the cap goes up?

You think that a changing salary cap is going to lead to the re-negotiation of every single NBA player's contract?