Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

:lol:/>

I would have mixed feelings if Jacque is fired though

This was right after the horn sounded giving us our 3rd loss on the season. Jacque was thrilled his defense held the Raptors to 40% shooting. Boasting at his press conference, "We really shut them down" (Fist pumps)

Yeah I'm kind of over the moral victories and uber positivity after losses. Even though we're young it just rubs me the wrong way and seems phony. I'm not suggesting he call people out or be overly critical, but his press conferences are a little ridiculous and to me don't reflect what I know I just witnessed. Just say we've got a lot of work to do, because we clearly do, and leave it at that.

• Upvote 2

We need to win...like tomorrow. We need to at least stay close to 50 percent. If we go 5 games under...i'll worry. 10 games under.....yikes. 20 games under? Doubt we make the playoffs.

I'm going to need you to punch yourself in the face until you come to your senses.

I second this

Why all the Billy Donovan hate?

Or is it me? Say it's not me? Please like me! I'm so insecure!

No, I really am curious for your thoughts on Billy D, and why my suggesting he would be a good fit for this team would elicit such responses.

There is a reason he is happy we kept them to 40% and that is because they were the third seed last year and we kept them that low. I don't care that we lost, what I care about is that our defense is good right now, and that is a good thing. It is harder to teach defense than offense in this league and I expect that over time we will be seeing more of these nights from Payton (who had a frighteningly similar night to CP3 even thought EP4 has no jumper). When VO returns, things will be different, and people need to understand that. Oli/Vuc/Payton are the guys on the offense as we will probably end up losing Harris after the season, which is fine if we can grab Leonard. Right now we are losing games because in the third quarter our offense and defense is atrocious, when Victor gets back that should remedy a bit of that as I feel he can handle the ball, and take over offensively in 3rd quarters to spark the team.

• Upvote 2

Why all the Billy Donovan hate?

Or is it me? Say it's not me? Please like me! I'm so insecure!

No, I really am curious for your thoughts on Billy D, and why my suggesting he would be a good fit for this team would elicit such responses.

You really don't remember the Magic hiring him, him getting cold feet almost immediately after the press conference, then the Magic and their lawyers negotiating a buyout with Donovan's lawyers that took so long that we almost lost out on Stan too? The question you should be asking yourself is why do you like Donovan so much? Getting past the fact that most college basketball coaches have failed miserably in the NBA, we are talking about a guy that publicly embarrassed the Magic with his actions.

You really don't remember the Magic hiring him, him getting cold feet almost immediately after the press conference, then the Magic and their lawyers negotiating a buyout with Donovan's lawyers that took so long that we almost lost out on Stan too? The question you should be asking yourself is why do you like Donovan so much? Getting past the fact that most college basketball coaches have failed miserably in the NBA, we are talking about a guy that publicly embarrassed the Magic with his actions.

Exactly! Some fans are shortsighted.

Exactly! Some fans are shortsighted.

I remember all that. I mentioned it in my original post. I remember being really disappointed until we got Stan (great coach). I explained why I like Donovan, IF he wants to come. I never thought Orlando should feel embarrassed about that situation (Donovan was the one who acted strangely). Billy Donovan is not most college basketball coaches, either. The way he coaches fits the NBA. He lets his players have a lot of freedom within his offensive system (which runs a lot of NBA-style ball screens and off-ball screens). He's been successful managing egos and expectations. His style actually fits the NBA more than college ball, on paper. If he ever does come to the NBA, we'll see if he's the exception to the 'college coaches suck in the League' rule.

I just thought maybe you guys had some insight as to why his style wasn't perfect for this Orlando team. If you're holding on to what happened before, I completely understand that. It was bizarre.

There is a reason he is happy we kept them to 40% and that is because they were the third seed last year and we kept them that low. I don't care that we lost, what I care about is that our defense is good right now, and that is a good thing. It is harder to teach defense than offense in this league and I expect that over time we will be seeing more of these nights from Payton (who had a frighteningly similar night to CP3 even thought EP4 has no jumper). When VO returns, things will be different, and people need to understand that. Oli/Vuc/Payton are the guys on the offense as we will probably end up losing Harris after the season, which is fine if we can grab Leonard. Right now we are losing games because in the third quarter our offense and defense is atrocious, when Victor gets back that should remedy a bit of that as I feel he can handle the ball, and take over offensively in 3rd quarters to spark the team.

Sometimes numbers can be deceiving and they obviously have you and JV confused. You cannot praise our defense when you commit as many fouls and give up as many offensive rebounds as we did, we still allowed 108 points to be put up as well. Toronto also happened to miss a lot of uncontested threes, if they miss an uncontested shot does that mean we played good defense? I also feel most teams defenses are ahead of the offense to start the year. I think JV is pissing in our face and telling us it's raining if he tries to claim that was a great defensive effort.

I'm a big Victor Oladipo fan as well but I'm not totally convinced he will help solve our problems. While Oladipo's defense is much better than Fournier's, I don't feel teams have been abusing him on defense. I'm worried about Oladipo being able to spread out the defense because his outside shot is still a work in progress and Harris and Payton are finding a lot of defenders packed in the paint on their drives.

I think Leonard is a pipe dream and San Antonio will match any offer as he is their franchise player moving forward. I wouldn't get all "Strapped in" :D/> LMAO

• Upvote 1

Sometimes numbers can be deceiving and they obviously have you and JV confused. You cannot praise our defense when you commit as many fouls and give up as many offensive rebounds as we did, we still allowed 108 points to be put up as well. Toronto also happened to miss a lot of uncontested threes, if they miss an uncontested shot does that mean we played good defense? I also feel most teams defenses are ahead of the offense to start the year. I think JV is pissing in our face and telling us it's raining if he tries to claim that was a great defensive effort.

I'm a big Victor Oladipo fan as well but I'm not totally convinced he will help solve our problems. While Oladipo's defense is much better than Fournier's, I don't feel teams have been abusing him on defense. I'm worried about Oladipo being able to spread out the defense because his outside shot is still a work in progress and Harris and Payton are finding a lot of defenders packed in the paint on their drives.

I think Leonard is a pipe dream and San Antonio will match any offer as he is their franchise player moving forward. I wouldn't get all "Strapped in" :D/>/> LMAO

This. Since when is Dipo an offensive powerhouse? I hope and expect that part of his game to continue to develop, but he's not there yet. As I said in an earlier post, it's not realistic to expect Dipo and/or Frye to change things greatly for the Magic when they return ( was said prior to Frye's return). Neither one has that kind of star power, at least not yet.