Sign in to follow this  
Catalina Maria

Thoughts on Magic offseason moves ...

It really is a different situation with Vaughn and this Magic team than it was with Doc and that Magic team. When you look at Doc's team now, the talent surrounding McGrady was absolutely atrocious but it was a playoff team. There were higher expectations placed on that team than there should have been. That's not the case with this team. I don't expect anything but gradual improvement this year and I actually expect they will stumble out of the gate with the tough opening schedule and with several rookies trying to adjust to the NBA game. Anyone looking to reconsider the coach or GMs job status based on the first 10 to 20 games of the season should probably lower their expectations drastically.

Last season the Orlando Magic finished with a 23-59 record. The team’s three highest points per game scorers still on the squad – Tobias Harris, Nikola Vucevic, and Victor Oladipo – only played 34 games together last season. That’s because Vucevic only managed to play 57 games in the ’13-’14 campaign while Tobias played 61. The national pundits want to proclaim that this franchise doesn’t have a star. I’m here to prove that T12, ‘Dipo, and Vucci Mane are Orlando’s own version of a ‘Big 3′.

As stated previously, those 3 guys only played on the court together in 34 contests in Jacque Vaughn‘s second year at the coaching helm. BUT, they each were on the court for 25+ minutes in only 17 of those contests. It’s beyond difficult to find pictures of just the three of them they played so little together. Their record in those seventeen contests was 9-8. OVER .500 which is more than enough to make the East playoffs. 8-4 at home, but just 1-4 on the road.

It is not crazy to go from 20 wins, to 23 wins, and into the playoffs the next season. The Oklahoma City Thunder did it. I’m not saying Tobias, Vucevic, and Oladipo are the next Kevin Durant, James Harden, and Russell Westbrook. Though the Spurs or Thunder model would all get tied back to how we viewed the initial hiring of GM Rob Hennigan. Anyway, I’m also not saying the Magic will go from a 23-win season and now win 50 games and reach the Conference Finals like OKC did in their 2009-2010 campaign. I’m optimistic, but not crazy. But it’s not improbable for this Magic roster to reach the playoffs this upcoming season.

If Orlando’s Big 3 can stay healthy and show improvement from last season – add to that some improved 3-point shooting and energetic rookies into the mix – you can sneak into the postseason even in a stronger East.

http://network.yardb...gether/17352635