CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

Some one had to do it. I'm dying to talk about these guys.

Here's my quick guide of some teams you need to be watching and some names you need to know heading into next season with the draft in mind. You won't find much analysis below though honestly, it's too early to make accurate analysis.

Duke- They have the nations #1 PG recruit in Tyus Jones and the nations #1 overall recruit in (Center) Jahlil Okafor. Jones may not be a one and done since he's pretty small and light weight but Jahlil is pretty much the favorite to be #1 pick at this point. Guy is just flat out dominant in the post. Duke will also have 2 more 5 star recruits in Justice Winslow and Grayson Allen and have Rasheed Sulaimon who'll probably get drafted whether he comes out next year or the year after.

Kentucky - Aside from a plethora of returning pro prospects in Andrew and Aaron Harrison, Marcus Lee, Willie Cauley-Stein, Dakari Johnson and Alex Poythress they also have Karl Towns, an incredibly skilled 7 footer, and Trey Lyles, the nations #2 PF coming in. Aside from that they also have the nations #3 SG in Devin Booker who probably won't be a one and done considering the talent they currently have and 5'8 PG Tyler Ulis who is exciting to watch even if he may not be a pro prospect.

Kansas- Kansas have Wayne Selden returning and are bringing in two terrific athletes in Cliff Alexander (a center in a PF's body) and Kelly Oubre (athletic wing scorer).

Arizona- Arizona have a couple of junior bigs in Ashley and Tarczewski who are likely 4 year guys but could easily be drafted this coming year if they impress. They also have Rondae Hollis-Jefferson entering his sophmore season, he's a terrific athlete and defender, offensive improvement is the key for him but I can't see him not being in this draft. Then they have incoming HS basketball superstar (4 state championships) Stanley Johnson at SF.

Aside from that there aren't really many teams that stand out as stacked with NBA talent. So here are the remaining guys to watch:

Myles Turner- Texas, he might face some competition for playing time with another potential pro Cameron Ridley at C but he's currently in Chad Ford's top 5. He has the potential to be a really high pick and be a star but he could just as easily be a middling pick and have a roleplayer career. He's really hard to judge for me.

Chris Walker - Florida, might as well right off last year and judge Walker from now. He's got ridiculous potential but that's all he is and may be all he'll ever be. Should be interesting to find out though.

Then the overseas guys:

Emmanual Mudiay - Recently announced he's going to be playing overseas rather than in college due to issues over his amateur status or something. Situation has a Brandon Jennings like feel to it to me though. People say he has #1 overall pick potential but I think he could easily have had a year like Andrew Harrison had he played college ball. As is though he'll go overseas to China (that's what it's looking like at the moment) , drop 25 a night and probably be a high draft pick.

Kristapz Porzingis- Seems like I have a thing for non-american prospects because this guy might be my favorite aside from maybe Johnson in this class. 7 footer who can put the ball on the deck, shoot off the dribble and is developing 3 point range. Plus he's also a monster shot blocker. Plays in Spain.

Mario Hezonja- Has some questions about his character but the dude is talented. He has the potential to fill it up in a variety of ways. Likes to Iso a little too much for me though. Plays in Spain.

Early pick for big time Sleeper:

RJ Hunter- Georgie State, terrific scorer for a guy who doesn't really create much for himself. Beat Payton to the Sun Belt POTY this past season. He just got rave reviews at Lebron's camp in Vegas for barely missing a 3 point attempt. I think he has the potential to be at least a Danny Green type player but his frame and game remind me a little of Reggie Miller (obviously not saying he is or will be Reggie just who I thought of when I saw him draining 3's, similar build). Might be a four year guy though since his dad's the coach of the team.

I'm sure I'll look back at this at the end of the season and laugh at the names I've missed off and the guys I've under or over sold but for now that's all I've got. Hopefully we won't be picking top 5 but you never know, we could get us some Cleveland luck!

Anyway... Feel free to post vids and scouting reports and all that good stuff. Where are we setting the line for the over/under on the page of the first "heated debate"?

EDIT: Also here's the DX Mock Draft currently for what it's worth (which is honestly very little considering it will change so much)

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/

• Upvote 1

Since the Magic probably won't have the 1st pick I like the chances of somebody in a UK uniform ending up in Orlando...

John Calipari has assembled quite a roster with the return of Willie Cauley-Stein and the Harrison twins. In fact, there are nine potential first-rounders on the Wildcats, making UK the runaway leader for the program with the most NBA talent.

However, it’s not quite as simple to figure out who ranks immediately behind Kentucky.

Want to know where the NBA scouts will be this season? Here’s a checklist of the top dozen teams for 2014-15 in terms of NBA prospects:

1. Kentucky Wildcats

It’s the Wildcats and then everyone else. John Calipari’s team is so loaded with NBA prospects that Marcus Lee, who could become a first-round pick at some point, may have difficulty getting onto the court for meaningful minutes in the upcoming season. The most talented player on the team is 6-foot-11 freshman Karl Towns Jr., but the Cats also have a few more front-line guys who could go in the first round with Cauley-Stein, Trey Lyles and Dakari Johnson.

Holdovers Andrew and Aaron Harrison are potential first-rounders, and both shooting guard Devin Booker and undersized point guard Tyler Ulis have a shot to play at the next level (though Ulis may be hindered by his size). We haven’t even discussed Alex Poythress, who has seen his stock fall but still has a chance to play in the NBA.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=3894

Ford's Big Board....?

Edit: Dude. Last time. Four paragraphs and a link to the source. That's four per article, not post, so don't post 4 in one post and another four right below it in a new post either. I deleted all of them, you can pick which four you want to re-post.

Edited by Captain Hi-Top
Article Limitations

I'm really high on Justice Winslow. Very athletic SG/SF who can start from day one with his athleticism alone. Justice is already a good 3 point shooter, good defender, and looks to make his teammates better. He wont go #1 or may not even go top 5 but could end up being the best player out of this draft if he declares.

Grayson Allen is my sleeper pick . Great intangibles and has nice handles for a SG but I think his best pro position is point guard due to him being 6'3". He has nice shooting ability, underrated defense, and can get up for his size. Kind of reminds me of Nick Johnson a bit but I think he goes in the 1st rd but it won't be surprised if he stayed in college at least 2 years. I really hope he works on being more of a PG but I know Duke will play him at the two because of Tyus Jones being there.

Really like Porzingis. Mudiay is a crappier John Wall.

Yea same, Porzongis game kinda reminds me of Chris Bosh with the added skill of being a great shot blocker.

Yesterday Chad Ford released his first top 100 of the 2015 draft, I can only see the first 20 since I don't have Insider but they are

1. Jahlil Okafor

2. Emmanual Mudiay

3. Karl Towns Jr

4. Kristaps Porzingis

5. Myles Turner

6. Cliff Alexander

7. Justise Winslow

8. Stanley Johnson

9. Mario Hezonja

10. Kelly Oubre

11. Chris Walker

12. Willie Cauley-Stein

13. Montrezl Harrell

14. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

15. Bobby Portis

16. Wayne Selden

17. Tyus Jones

18. Sam Dekker

19. Ron Baker

20. RJ Hunter

That's 4 Cs, 3 PGs, 4 PFs, 7 SFs and 2 SGs (according to how Ford categorizes them, some of them I'm not sure I agree on though, like Chris Walker being a SF).

This draft looks like it could be pretty weak at either guard position with Mudiay being the only guard in the top 15. Obviously a lot can and will change but at the moment I'm glad we're not going into this draft with a glaring need for one.

This draft looks like it could be pretty weak at either guard position with Mudiay being the only guard in the top 15. Obviously a lot can and will change but at the moment I'm glad we're not going into this draft with a glaring need for one.

Yeah I'm glad our guard position has been taken care of. I'm surprised Stanley Johnson is so low on his list. I could see the Harrison twins cracking this top 15-20 list easy come December. I think they're pretty underrated and would probably be higher if they were at another school. It's hard to fully scout prospects when a school is so deeply talented IMO.

Getting an early look at our team I'd to get a Cauley-Stein cause I think he'd be the perfect backup for Vucevic. Then they'd be able to play O'Quinn at his true position of PF. Also it's going to be interesting to see the development of Harkless because IMO this is a make a break year to his future on this team as far as an extension goes. I really like Moe and I hope he's part of the Magic's future. It's going to interesting to see what happens especially if Harris gets a long term deal that's supposedly going to be around Labor Day.

Yeah I'm glad our guard position has been taken care of. I'm surprised Stanley Johnson is so low on his list. I could see the Harrison twins cracking this top 15-20 list easy come December. I think they're pretty underrated and would probably be higher if they were at another school. It's hard to fully scout prospects when a school is so deeply talented IMO.

Getting an early look at our team I'd to get a Cauley-Stein cause I think he'd be the perfect backup for Vucevic. Then they'd be able to play O'Quinn at his true position of PF. Also it's going to be interesting to see the development of Harkless because IMO this is a make a break year to his future on this team as far as an extension goes. I really like Moe and I hope he's part of the Magic's future. It's going to interesting to see what happens especially if Harris gets a long term deal that's supposedly going to be around Labor Day.

I agree on Stanley. If he has a good year at Arizona he should be top 5 for sure. Right now though all the guys in that 7-10 range as well as Selden and RHJ are all in "order to be determined" for me. There are a lot of similar skill sets in that group and I think who gets drafted where will depend heavily on not only the type of season each guy has but also the order of the draft with different teams valuing different skills etc. But I think a few of those wing guys have a real shot at cracking the top 5 or 6 with good seasons.

Honestly you may be the first person ever to suggest a Kentucky player was underrated. I don't necessarily agree but I get what you mean, with 7 or 8 nba prospects on the team, if you're not one of the best you sort of find yourself in the other guys shadows.

I agree on Stanley. If he has a good year at Arizona he should be top 5 for sure. Right now though all the guys in that 7-10 range as well as Selden and RHJ are all in "order to be determined" for me. There are a lot of similar skill sets in that group and I think who gets drafted where will depend heavily on not only the type of season each guy has but also the order of the draft with different teams valuing different skills etc. But I think a few of those wing guys have a real shot at cracking the top 5 or 6 with good seasons.

Honestly you may be the first person ever to suggest a Kentucky player was underrated. I don't necessarily agree but I get what you mean, with 7 or 8 nba prospects on the team, if you're not one of the best you sort of find yourself in the other guys shadows.

Exactly, I say underrated because I think they get overlooked a little. I bet if they both started for Oklahoma or N.C. State (for examples) they'd be talked about much more because 1. they'd be the unquestioned stars and 2. they'd probably both be averaging around 15-18 ppg and would stand out much more