Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Magic fanbase needs legitimate playoff hopes !!! (bleacher report)

Drastic change is necessary in Orlando to supply the Magic fanbase with legitimate playoff hopes for the 2014-15 NBA season. Adding Frye to the mix is the latest splash general manager Rob Hennigan and Co. have made.

As SI.com's Rob Mahoney points out in his analysis, there is still plenty of opportunity to upgrade Orlando's personnel:

Rob Mahoney @RobMahoney

Orlando, even after splurging a bit on Channing Frye and Ben Gordon, is still well below the cap. Plenty of room to play with.

I don't think the Magic can afford to keep having the worst or one of the worst records in the league......

What say you ???....Should Rob spend more and upgrade our talent level ???

Nice read, by the way....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2122178-channing-frye-to-magic-latest-contract-details-analysis-and-reaction

• Downvote 1

Of course, all the promising pieces Orlando has in place have to mesh on the court. At this point in the offseason, every franchise feels it is improving. But given how valuable Frye's size and finesse on the perimeter is for a team that struggles to score, he has to be viewed as an excellent signing for what the Magic need.

So, does this mean you like this signing?

So, does this mean you like this signing?

Yes....I've already posted as much....But I don't like the guaranteed years and like you've already said...We overpaid some.

The real question is....Is Henny finished ???....These signings and draftees are gonna add how many wins to our last season total ???

I've seen you post High-Top that the Magic had to overpay Frye because no decent free agent is gonna come to a team that is young and losing.

When are we gonna get out of the basement on the NBA ???...Based on our roster as is how many wins would you predict next season ???

Seriously, popular opinion is that the East is weak and if the Heatles break-up it could get weaker....I don't see any reason why we can't contend for a playoff spot and if we can't then Henny needs to spend some more of that money he is hoarding.

The fanbase needs HOPE !!!

• Downvote 1

I don't think it's that no FA is going to want to come here, it's that free agents that are attracting attention of playoff teams won't want to come here, all things being equal.

I think 30 to 35 wins is pretty realistic with an outside chance of doing a little better depending on the strength of the East and how quickly our rookies pick up the game. I don't think there are any free agents out there, besides the obvious guys, who are going to make a big difference beyond that. We aren't signing Lebron so we should hold on to that cap room for a couple of years from now when signing a max guy is possible. If our guys develop like most of think they can, big name free agents will be taking a very hard look at Orlando and its no state taxes. Why ruin our chances of signing Kevin Durant to sign Gordon Haywood? I'm just fine with only winning 35 games instead of 40.

Okay I suppose I will spill some beans on the subject. For my day job when im not ranting on the Magic boards or challenging Captain, I do a bit of large scale consulting and selling of security technology and attend security conferences to talk to many companies and organizations. Boring stuff.

About a month ago, there was Chief Information Security Officer event where all the major guys come and check out the latest and greatest. This event was held in my former home town Orlando and ofcourse being in Orlando, im always wearing something Magic. At this event, I had my Magic hat with me. I checked the roster of people attending to see who I might be talking too and what industry vertical they are from. Surprise, surprise someone from the Orlando Magic is going to be here... their top guy.

Excitely I let my Sales Rep know about my Orlando Magic crush and that one of their people will be here. I waited about half the day before I got my chance to introduce myself. And when I did, I made sure to quickly put on the Magic hat and act all shocked that someone from my team is going to be here. It works, me and him have a good laugh and then I start telling him my sports crush on the Magic and the many years I have followed (Groupie move i know).

We get on the subject of the Magic team now (keep in mind this was 1 month ago), I told him that some fans are suggesting a 3rd tanking season and he totally stopped me in mid sentence and said "Thats not the plan". I plainly said, good because I cant handle another year of that.. so what is the plan?. He said that "The big guy on top doesnt want to see anymore empty seats in the arena and that the time is now to start our push to the playoffs. I was happy just to hear those words. Then we got on the topic of IT Security and what not.

So there it is.... My only insider information that I have ever got from the Magic. I asked him to save me a position in there for when they need a top security guy.. he laughed (im thinking that was a no)....lol

Okay I suppose I will spill some beans on the subject. For my day job when im not ranting on the Magic boards or challenging Captain, I do a bit of large scale consulting and selling of security technology and attend security conferences to talk to many companies and organizations. Boring stuff.

About a month ago, there was Chief Information Security Officer event where all the major guys come and check out the latest and greatest. This event was held in my former home town Orlando and ofcourse being in Orlando, im always wearing something Magic. At this event, I had my Magic hat with me. I checked the roster of people attending to see who I might be talking too and what industry vertical they are from. Surprise, surprise someone from the Orlando Magic is going to be here... their top guy.

Excitely I let my Sales Rep know about my Orlando Magic crush and that one of their people will be here. I waited about half the day before I got my chance to introduce myself. And when I did, I made sure to quickly put on the Magic hat and act all shocked that someone from my team is going to be here. It works, me and him have a good laugh and then I start telling him my sports crush on the Magic and the many years I have followed (Groupie move i know).

We get on the subject of the Magic team now (keep in mind this was 1 month ago), I told him that some fans are suggesting a 3rd tanking season and he totally stopped me in mid sentence and said "Thats not the plan". I plainly said, good because I cant handle another year of that.. so what is the plan?. He said that "The big guy on top doesnt want to see anymore empty seats in the arena and that the time is now to start our push to the playoffs. I was happy just to hear those words. Then we got on the topic of IT Security and what not.

So there it is.... My only insider information that I have ever got from the Magic. I asked him to save me a position in there for when they need a top security guy.. he laughed (im thinking that was a no)....lol

Great Post Barnette !!!!....Thanks for sharing.....And boy is that ever good news !!!

I'm not gonna ask who your source is because I realize anonymity is important....But how high in the organization was your source ???...In other words, was it somebody invested in the organization ???

• Downvote 1

Great Post Barnette !!!!....Thanks for sharing.....And boy is that ever good news !!!

I'm not gonna ask who your source is because I realize anonymity is important....But how high in the organization was your source ???...In other words, was it somebody invested in the organization ???

To enter the event you need to be C-Level, Chief Information Security Officer - Chief Information Officer - Chief Technology Officer. Knowing what I know about these positions I would say the source is heavily invested.

Yes....I've already posted as much....But I don't like the guaranteed years and like you've already said...We overpaid some.

The real question is....Is Henny finished ???....These signings and draftees are gonna add how many wins to our last season total ???

I've seen you post High-Top that the Magic had to overpay Frye because no decent free agent is gonna come to a team that is young and losing.

When are we gonna get out of the basement on the NBA ???...Based on our roster as is how many wins would you predict next season ???

Seriously, popular opinion is that the East is weak and if the Heatles break-up it could get weaker....I don't see any reason why we can't contend for a playoff spot and if we can't then Henny needs to spend some more of that money he is hoarding.

The fanbase needs HOPE !!!

You know what this fan base needs more than hope? For this franchise to break the cycle of knee jerk moves that undo any positive moves that have been done and set us back 5-10 years

• Upvote 1

Nice! Good info

You know what this fan base needs more than hope? For this franchise to break the cycle of knee jerk moves that undo any positive moves that have been done and set us back 5-10 years

This!

I was a huge Otis fan until I saw him dismantle our Finals roster trading our youth (C-Lee, Gortat, Future picks, etc.) for aging vets instead of letting the roster continue to gel.