Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

we needed a big that can shoot and most of them were gone. I think frye will give us a good vet. I do think we gave him to many years, but bigs cost and shooters cost. I think he was our plan b or c. I do think we wanted someone younger like patterson.

With gordon shooting so bad it really make you understand the frye thing more. gordon has more air balls than made jump shots.

I have to say I'm a bit confused. Last week during the Parson's debate all I kept reading was that we're not going to make any moves that tie up cap space for the future on guys who are only a marginal improvement, guys that aren't part of our future. The Frye signing is all of those things, a guy that isn't going to make a huge difference, he's already 31, and his contract is four years. This is literally the exact scenario people were completely against just last week. I guess I just expected a little consistency. If this deal is truly guaranteed for all four years, it's a horrendous addition.

I think you are confused because some of us did say that the Magic were looking to get out an 8mm contract, as that would not impact their cap much in the future. Since this is an offseason of teams overspending, this is a very nice caliber of player for us to land at that price tier. Not at all the "exact same scenario" anyone was against.

As for not making a huge difference..lol, OK. We had no PF last year at all, unless you think Big Baby was good. Now we have a veteran stretch 4 who can play C as well. Frye is a better defender than given credit for and offensively our frontcourt is excellent with him and Vuc being an ideal compliment.

Furthermore, he was brought here to start until gordon gets big enough to step in. So that should be 2 years of starting and 2 years of coming off the bench. He will be fine to do that for 4 years.

Read the quote below to learn a little about the guy. I truly don't think you have watched him play much. He was a great player last year for the Suns.

Here's what a Pheonix fan had to say about the losing Frye on another forum.

"Every year he played for us he was 1st or 2nd on the team in net +/- per 48, and led the team in RPM and net +/- per 48 this year. We are going to miss him far more than ya'll know. His defense was better than most people thing (above average according to DRPM)

Great lockerroom guy, great intangibles guy, fantastic at spacing the floor. We may yet regret letting him go if we don't use the cap space on a player like Love in a trade."

Now we are looking at a predicted opening night team of Vic/Fournier/Harkless/Frye/Vuc and a 2nd unit of Payton/Gordon/Gordon/Harris/Oquinn.

This team is a dark horse playoff team if these vets step it up and Dipo and Vuc do what I think they can this year.

Why did we just sign Frye? Exploring analytics, he was 10th in the NBA last year in RPM at 5.08 and 14th in WAR at 10.82: espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM. We'll see how it works out.

Fryes game will age just like Rashards did...ungracefully. Just think about it. If in the beginning of the summer I told you the Magic's big deals would be to add Channing Frye and Ben Gordon along with losing Phillys first and Payton/Aaron Gordon I think most of the board would have crucified the front office. It certainly looks as if we are doing out best to field a near playoff team and thats about it. Frye is a disaster. Its not the nail the coffin for me but Ive got the hammer in my hand. One more stupid (and it is what it is) move and Im jumping on the "Henny must go" bus.

Their games have similarities, but Frye and Lewis are FAR apart as human beings... Anyways, I'm sure that you have better things to do than argue against instances of skilled/finesse players remaining effective in to their late, late years.

I too do not quite understand Henny's logic here (also how does space even work), but I am compelled to believe that it has something to do with keeping us from turning in to Sac. For you see, the Hennigan works in mysterious ways.

Why did we just sign Frye? Exploring analytics, he was 10th in the NBA last year in RPM at 5.08 and 14th in WAR at 10.82: espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM. We'll see how it works out.

Negative whiners after draft "whyyyy!!!We need shooting!!!! We can't shoot!!!" :panicworker:/>

Negative whiners after signing Frye, Green and Gordon - "these aren't the shooters I wanted!!!WHHHYYYY?!?!?!" :panicworker:/>

Negative whiners after draft "whyyyy!!!We need shooting!!!! We can't shoot!!!" :panicworker:/>

Negative whiners after signing Frye, Green and Gordon - "these aren't the shooters I wanted!!!WHHHYYYY?!?!?!" :panicworker:/>

And then those whiners whining about the other whiners :panicworker: ;)

And then those whiners whining about the other whiners :panicworker:/> ;)/>

Those guys are just big jerks

-Shrugs- Don't know how to feel about this. Time for some research.

Not sure what the contract would look like, but someone in the other thread said what if they front loaded it. I think the way the CBA works they can have annual decreases at 7.5% percent. If that were the case Frye would make close to 9 mil this year ($8,857,143) and 7 mil in his final year ($7,142,857). That wouldn't be a bad contract for a big guy that can shoot. Plus his contract is not bad enough that Orlando couldn't trade him in his last two years if needed.

I don't personally like the signing and I haven't exactly liked much of the off-season, but I'll give the moves a little time before I consistently ***** about them.