Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

I couldn't find anything after a quick search, have we actually signed this guy yet? Is he on vacation or something? Seems odd that he hasn't officially signed (if he hasn't) four days into the signing period.

Rob said he can talk about it this week during his interview on the Gordon and Green signings. We will probably know by Friday.

Any answer to those questions is subjective. Basically if the Magic don't start to develop as a cohesive team in next 1-2 years, my opinion is that Hennigan won't be judged a success, regardless of the merits of any individual move he's made.

As Drunky pointed out, I was specifically asking for your opinion on those moves.

I think we look at the GM for evaluation in different ways. We look as his individual moves, and we can certainly judge those moves in terms of the situation, perceived value, long term value etc. Long term, we have to take a more win focused outlook to judge success. Sure, you can look at other subjective things like a change in culture, increase in wins but ultimately every team should be on a path to compete for, and win an NBA title.

So, while we can't judge Hennigan's long term success with this team yet, we can certainly judge the moves he has made thus far, particularly the earlier moves that have had more time to ferment. Keeping that in mind, I really just wanted your opinion on those early moves.

Really enjoyed Channing's introductory meeting with the press. Seems like a guy who really understands the game and wants to be a mentor to our young guys. What he said about wanting to play on a younger team with room to grow rather than be part of a team with only a limited window of opportunity was really surprising to me, I'm sure the 32 million guaranteed money didn't hurt our chances of getting him but at least to me it felt like this wasn't a "I'm here because you guys paid me the most". (Although it's highly possible it was and he's just a convincing liar haha).

I've been thinking that Vuc might be the guy to benefit the most from this off season, a lot of the moves we've made are moves that I think could affect him positively. With Channing, he'll have more room on pick and roll's and post ups and one less big in the paint to battle for offensive rebounds. Elfrid obviously looks more than adept at running pick and roll and he should also create some easy catch and finish (and catch and shoot) chances for Vuc. And even Aaron is an above average passer and can draw the defense and make clever interior passes which should get Vuc some open looks. Plus the general spacing of the floor by Fournier, BGordon and Green will make it easier for him to work as well.

Really enjoyed Channing's introductory meeting with the press. Seems like a guy who really understands the game and wants to be a mentor to our young guys. What he said about wanting to play on a younger team with room to grow rather than be part of a team with only a limited window of opportunity was really surprising to me, I'm sure the 32 million guaranteed money didn't hurt our chances of getting him but at least to me it felt like this wasn't a "I'm here because you guys paid me the most". (Although it's highly possible it was and he's just a convincing liar haha).

I've been thinking that Vuc might be the guy to benefit the most from this off season, a lot of the moves we've made are moves that I think could affect him positively. With Channing, he'll have more room on pick and roll's and post ups and one less big in the paint to battle for offensive rebounds. Elfrid obviously looks more than adept at running pick and roll and he should also create some easy catch and finish (and catch and shoot) chances for Vuc. And even Aaron is an above average passer and can draw the defense and make clever interior passes which should get Vuc some open looks. Plus the general spacing of the floor by Fournier, BGordon and Green will make it easier for him to work as well.

Regardless of any complainers we may have on the message board I am more excited about this Magic team then any others in our recent past and I really believe we have a good foundation here.

As Drunky pointed out, I was specifically asking for your opinion on those moves.

I think we look at the GM for evaluation in different ways.......... Keeping that in mind, I really just wanted your opinion on those early moves.

I think you hit it on the head. Obviously Hennigan decided that the best way to rebuild was to basically start from scratch, assemble young talent, and hopefully develop a strong nucleus that can create a foundation for years of success. Judged from that standpoint, his moves were very good ones. However, if the overall concept fails, and the Magic don't develop the young talent into a competitive team in the next 1-2 years, then those individual moves really won't matter, and Hennigan will not be judged a success.

I think you hit it on the head. Obviously Hennigan decided that the best way to rebuild was to basically start from scratch, assemble young talent, and hopefully develop a strong nucleus that can create a foundation for years of success. Judged from that standpoint, his moves were very good ones. However, if the overall concept fails, and the Magic don't develop the young talent into a competitive team in the next 1-2 years, then those individual moves really won't matter, and Hennigan will not be judged a success.

So you are saying that, up to this point, he has done a good job.

I'm looking forward to this team's defensive potential, more than anything. I enjoy watching teams grind out wins much more than I do watching both teams score in the 100s.

I'm looking forward to this team's defensive potential, more than anything. I enjoy watching teams grind out wins much more than I do watching both teams score in the 100s.

I don't think this team will be as much "grind it out" as you think. We have the potential to be a terrific defensive unit and we'll probably struggle some on offense but we're not going to be the Memphis Grizzlies or last year's Rose-and-Deng-less Bulls. Hopefully we'll be causing lots of turnovers and racing up court in transition.

That's about the same as most of us feel, I would imagine (with a few dissenting votes by others), especially if you judge by the "Does Henny Know What He's Doing?" poll. So far he's earned our trust and approval. That doesn't mean he keeps it long term if things turn south, but given the moves he made leading up to this summer, for me, he's at least earned the benefit of the doubt at this point.

That article is not really clued in to what is going on. 8mm does NOT suggest a guy is a core building block in this market. The Magic are building off of guys like Dipo, Payton, Harris, Harkless, Vuc, Gordon. I feel like that should be pretty obvious to a publication like SI.

Still a good read. Trying to think of when Hennigan's grades are high on anything right after they occur and I can not. Its usually a year later the writers change their tune.

Bill Simmons mocked us for trading Ayon. A guy he said he "loved" - for example.

Again, this is feeling very Spurs-like. When was the last time you heard about the Spurs making a big move in the off-season? They really don't - no one talks about them. Even this summer, after they won the championship, I guarantee ESPN will be focusing on Cleveland with LeBron, Houston with Bosh, how LA will rebuild, etc, etc. The Spurs are not a sexy team.

I think we're trying to follow that model: just have a very solid team, top to bottom, with few glaring weaknesses; have teammates who put team first; character guys that don't blow up team chemistry or cause off-court issues.