ball junkie

Who's going to be our starting PG ??? (zach lowe)

I realize Payton needs a lot of minutes to learn the position as well he should, but........

The number of teams with cap space and a glaring need for a starting point guard is pretty small. Orlando wasn’t going to splurge on Lowry, and the Magic aren’t an attractive destination right now for a dude who enjoyed being an alpha dog for a playoff team.

Don't we need somebody to guide Elfrid and soak up some minutes or is the plan to just throw him to the wolves with on the job training ???

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-kyle-lowry-re-signs-with-toronto-while-indy-faces-some-tough-choices/

I'm not sure... Who helps Efrid, who mentors him a little, 2nd year Victor.. who had a solid year with Jameer.... or Gordon...

Maybe we run Victor half time on the starting role until Efrid can get enough time to acclimate. While Victor plays PG, Ben Gordon could cover SG 50/50 (Victor would cover some). Management could target the trade deadline to see how it plays out. If Efrid picks up quickly and can take the full load, then we offload Gordon and move Victor into SG full time.

That's the way I would do it given the circumstances.

I think Payton starts. We might bring in an experienced back up or we might just bring in a SL guy who impresses to play some back up.

Fournier can run the point as well as victor.

The magic like a 2 pg style offense. They are into initiating offense from 2-3 positions. The raptors and suns did this and made playoffs as well.

I'm not sure... Who helps Efrid, who mentors him a little, 2nd year Victor.. who had a solid year with Jameer.... or Gordon...

Maybe we run Victor half time on the starting role until Efrid can get enough time to acclimate. While Victor plays PG, Ben Gordon could cover SG 50/50 (Victor would cover some). Management could target the trade deadline to see how it plays out. If Efrid picks up quickly and can take the full load, then we offload Gordon and move Victor into SG full time.

That's the way I would do it given the circumstances.

I'm starting to wonder if we may play Oladipo a lot at the point this year because we have a major cluster at SG with Fournier, Gordon and Green.

I'm starting to wonder if we may play Oladipo a lot at the point this year because we have a major cluster at SG with Fournier, Gordon and Green.

I think we do. I'll be surprised if drafting Payton ends Oladipo's time at the position.....especially with Jameer waived.

The Magic ran a lot of 3 guard sets last year with Dipo, Jameer and Aaron and even Moore and I don't think that was a decision based solely on personnel. I don't expect Willie Green to see the court much, probably play about 45 games and average 10-15 mins. So really we'll have Payton, Dipo, Fournier and Gordon playing consistent minutes at guard. I still wouldn't mind another legit PG but as it stands I can certainly see Dipo and Fournier initiating the offense some.

The Magic ran a lot of 3 guard sets last year with Dipo, Jameer and Aaron and even Moore and I don't think that was a decision based solely on personnel. I don't expect Willie Green to see the court much, probably play about 45 games and average 10-15 mins. So really we'll have Payton, Dipo, Fournier and Gordon playing consistent minutes at guard. I still wouldn't mind another legit PG but as it stands I can certainly see Dipo and Fournier initiating the offense some.

Magic often went small last year, partly because we didn't have a true back up center, so we used O'Quinn when we took out Vuc. It didn't usually work out very well defensively, we were beaten badly off the boards when using small lineups. It looks right now like we could have the same problem this year.

I have been told that ultimately, what the team envisions is a starting backcourt of Vic and EP (no surprise there) where either guard can initiate the offense, so no PG no SG just (2) guards. But as far as who starts from day 1, I'm guessing summer league will help bring some clarity to that question. I don't think we brought in Gordon or Green to be any type of competition to EP or Vic, but more as to beef up the bench at those positions.

I think we should start EP from day 1 and let JV mentor him and let him learn on the job. This will help create chemistry sooner with our young guys.