CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

Well, today was not good day for the boys in blue....Here's the link for anybody that wants:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/magic/GAME12BoxScore.pdf

Of concern for me is what Gill and the other announcer were saying in regards to Payton and pressure....Said people saw how he handled being pressured in the first game and teams were gonna continue to do it....Wilbekin got up in him today.

Before everybody starts it's summer league I realize that....Just thought by this point in his career every PG would be used to getting pressured....And be able to adjust to an extent even if it is an unorganized summer league game.

Well, today was not good day for the boys in blue....Here's the link for anybody that wants:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/magic/GAME12BoxScore.pdf

Of concern for me is what Gill and the other announcer were saying in regards to Payton and pressure....Said people saw how he handled being pressured in the first game and teams were gonna continue to do it....Wilbekin got up in him today.

Before everybody starts it's summer league I realize that....Just thought by this point in his career every PG would be used to getting pressured....And be able to adjust to an extent even if it is an unorganized summer league game.

It won't get any easier for Payton going up against guys like Kyrie Irving, Brandon Knight, John Wall, Jeff Teague, Kemba Walker, Derrick Rose (if healthy and playing), Michael Carter Williams, George Hill, Rajon Rondo... and those are just PG's in the East. Payton is from the Sun Belt, not known to be any type of powerhouse, so his level of competition was lower than many of the other PGs in the draft, so there's bound to be an even greater learning curve for him in terms of the competition. Hopefully he grows from now until tip off and can be an adequate player his rookie season for us

Pop quiz hot shot. Your a coach and your PG has the ball. He's getting hounded defensively every trip up the court. What would you do? What would you do?

(Had to go with the Speed reference for some reason).

Seriously, in a regular game, we're going to set a pick, give him a hand. I don't know about today's game, but in the first game, he got no help at all, just left to deal with the pressure. He'll figure it out.

Nerlens Noel is one impressive player !!!...Not that his stats jump off the page at you but what an athletic big and boy does he ever effect games from a defensive standpoint.

The NBATV guys have basically spent the whole 1st half talking about his defensive presence.....Man, if Noel continues with good health he will easily be the best player in last years draft.....Sorry for the fans of Olidipo.

And it's not a bash on Victor....Noel is just potentially a better player....Will have an effect on winning and losing more so than Victor because he can protect the rim....If I was Henny I would have drafted him no questions asked last year and twice on Sunday.

As I'm typing this the announcers are talking to the Sixers GM about Noel right now.....

He has impressed me. Defensively, he's solid. Long arms just gets his hands on balls. And his offensive game isn't bad for a "rookie". I'm impressed. And if Embiid comes back strong next season, Philly is going to be a scary team in the 2015-2016 season with Carter-Williams, Thaddeus Young, Embiid and Noel starting. Plus Saric is coming in the future...

Nerlens Noel is one impressive player !!!...Not that his stats jump off the page at you but what an athletic big and boy does he ever effect games from a defensive standpoint.

The NBATV guys have basically spent the whole 1st half talking about his defensive presence.....Man, if Noel continues with good health he will easily be the best player in last years draft.....Sorry for the fans of Olidipo.

And it's not a bash on Victor....Noel is just potentially a better player....Will have an effect on winning and losing more so than Victor because he can protect the rim....If I was Henny I would have drafted him no questions asked last year and twice on Sunday.

As I'm typing this the announcers are talking to the Sixers GM about Noel right now.....

I completely disagree with you...shocking I know. This is a perimeter league, if you can find a guard that can score, get to the line, and create problems for the team that is trying to get into their offense that is every bit as important as a shot blocker. In fact I would say disrupting the offense on the perimeter forces the other team to start off the set on the wrong foot. How much shot blocking is Noel going to do when you have a team with shooters at the 4 and 5? I can find a guy like Chris Anderson and get shot blocking, you can't find a role player that is a 2 way perimeter player and that would even be selling Victor short since he can also initiate offense.

If Noel becomes defensive player of the year and is passable on offense then I would agree that he should have been a much higher pick and that he is one of the best players out of the draft but to say he is easily the best and have more off an impact on the game is completely turning a blind eye to how much Victor can do.

Pop quiz hot shot. Your a coach and your PG has the ball. He's getting hounded defensively every trip up the court. What would you do? What would you do?

(Had to go with the Speed reference for some reason).

Seriously, in a regular game, we're going to set a pick, give him a hand. I don't know about today's game, but in the first game, he got no help at all, just left to deal with the pressure. He'll figure it out.

I remember Avery Bradley stripping Victor a few times last year during our regular season Boston game while he was dribbling the ball up but I don't remember it ever being a problem after that.

... I've just realised how pointless that post was.

With Vucevic and Frye able to consistently hit the open jumper, either can easily pull Noel away from the basket to negate his presence on the defensive end. Dipo and EP will live in the paint.

Not a pretty game, got out rebounded and pretty much out worked. Patyon had another impressive outing, still early on but I can see why Henny made the deal to get him. He's got such great court vision and explosiveness not to mention the Magic have needed a true PG for a long time. Gordon didn't have the greatest performance but he was 4-4 from the free throw line which is a good accomplishment for him. Marble is just a flat out baller. Always finds ways to score and seems like at key times too.

A concern for me is how you don't understand that teams are not preparing at all for pressure, and as a result are not setting picks for the ball handler.

How do you not see this happening in every NBA game and then fail to see that its not being done in summer league is a serious concern.

Guys do this in regular season and run into a 7 footer a few times and they stop. This is pretty basic stuff and not worth worrying about.

I think payton has a ways to go but I am seeing some signs of what he can become and I am happy. These guys are young and will take some time to get it. Im talking 2 years. That includes your boy Noel who is going to be making some really ugly offensive plays for a while - maybe a few years before things really click.