Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Magic Extend GM Rob Hennigan and Head Coach Jacque Vaughn

This is will be the last contract extension the Magic offer them with a losing record.

It shows you that the team is valuing the work they are putting into not just rebuilding the team, but the culture as well. Winning is not at the top of the list right now. Of course the further down the road we go, the more that changes, but it removes the mystery next season at least.

I'm satisfied with what has been accomplished thus far. This tanking has gone by....really quick. Two seasons and a Oladipo later we're already going into the draft.

Not surprised to see them extended. I think this confirms that the plan to rebuild through the draft has gone 'ok' to date, but with another two lottery picks and another year's worth of development, I would suspect the aim for next season will be to jump into the 30-win range. And after that we should be making a serious push for the 7th or 8th seed in 2015, because we will have another lottery selection and cap space to make a run in free agency.

The big test will be whether the team can make the jump next season and add another ten wins to the kitty. If the team struggles and remains in the 20-win range, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vaughn shown the door, and a new head coach brought in. I think Hennigan will hold onto his role even if the team remains in the 20-win range, because the rebuilding process will still be going. But a new head coach wouldn't be surprising if the team doesn't make a jump next season.