Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Castaway

Howard has moved on, but have Magic fans done so as well?

Because I recognize that your knowledge regarding the issue at hand is FAR superior than mine, I have nothing but respect for your opinions … but, and please bear with me, why are some mentioning “Howard’s legacy in Orlando” as if the city and the team never did anything for him? I’m mean, didn’t he arrive unpolished? Didn’t he develop here? Didn’t he reach international star status here? Or was it that the giving was unidirectional? IMO the giving was mutual … And regarding the mentioned intention of moving the team and the building of Amway, what was his active contribution to that? I could see that being attributed to him if it all happened because and after he in fact extended his stay … but I seem to recall that a lot of risk was undertaken, precisely because of his expressed “curiosity” with free agency … so why then give him credit for Amway … correct me if I’m wrong but, wasn’t it built in the hopes that he would stay and once it was built he bolted?

I'd never boo him. I'll readily admit that I'm in the Magic fan minority on this, but Dwight's legacy is that arena and the team remaining in Orlando. That can't be overlooked.

Sure it can be overlooked... Dwight didn't put a dime of his own money into building it... The City did, The Magic did, Dwight...ehhh he was too busy with his trips and movies.

Dwight was made by Orlando. Every analyst and guru destroyed our pick of him and ALL said that he would never pan out. And that Okafor was ready now.

Orlando groomed Dwight, put Dwight in the gym and gave Dwight a coach that would challenge him to be better. And in that span, the worked paid off and both were rewarded.

Then Dwight goes backwards and starts dreaming too big, thinking that this success can be replicated anywhere with anybody.

The conspiracy to be traded to the Nets begins, starts with an Agent switch to Dan HWNSNBU, then Dans agency signs lots of partnerships with the Nets, then Dwight has lunch with Nets, then Dwight starts new Magic season with wanting a trade to the Nets.

I wrote a huge post connecting everything.

THAT CAN NEVER BE OVERLOOKED

Screw Dwight and his failed attempts to Brooklyn.

• Upvote 1

I think its high time to "move on" when it comes to Shaq and maybe even Grant Hill.. but Duh-wight!?

Hellll no, it's far too soon. If ever.

Like some others, I think the video tribute is ill-timed and seems forced. First, I don't believe the fan base has moved on. Second, I would boo him because that's the nature and fun of sports as a game! Our superhero player indicated he'd be in Orlando forever … and then forced his way out. Did he do some great things in Orlando? Yes, but I'd probably hold off on the tribute video stuff until he retired. As it stands now from a competitive perspective, he represents a player and team I want to steamroll in victory!

I don't really care. El Magic is more of an insult to my intelligence than some video honoring Dwight Howard. It is what it is. We traded him to the one team he really didn't want to go to which he left and the Magic made out like bandits in the trade. We have a very solid young core and will potentially add 2 Top 12 picks to that roster this off-season. I mean look at the teams who traded Chris Paul and Melo. They are a mess.

"And now! a video Tribute to Dwight Howard..........................................................s teammate Jameer Nelson!!! "

The above would be much more acceptable and simply chew at Dwight Howard's psyche.

Id rather see a humorous tribute to Marc Acres or Jarryl Sasser than give Dwight a tribute this early. Are they preparing a tribute for Otis Smith and Dave Turdzik next? This tribute is a slap in the face to long term Magic fans. The management should have a BACKBONE and call the guy a phony punk like he is.

Sure it can be overlooked... Dwight didn't put a dime of his own money into building it... The City did, The Magic did, Dwight...ehhh he was too busy with his trips and movies.

Dwight was made by Orlando. Every analyst and guru destroyed our pick of him and ALL said that he would never pan out. And that Okafor was ready now.

Orlando groomed Dwight, put Dwight in the gym and gave Dwight a coach that would challenge him to be better. And in that span, the worked paid off and both were rewarded.

Then Dwight goes backwards and starts dreaming too big, thinking that this success can be replicated anywhere with anybody.

The conspiracy to be traded to the Nets begins, starts with an Agent switch to Dan HWNSNBU, then Dans agency signs lots of partnerships with the Nets, then Dwight has lunch with Nets, then Dwight starts new Magic season with wanting a trade to the Nets.

I wrote a huge post connecting everything.

THAT CAN NEVER BE OVERLOOKED

Screw Dwight and his failed attempts to Brooklyn.

Obviously I disagree. Dwight would have taken off as a superstar on any team in the NBA: he's a freakish talent. Morons like Dick Vitale yelling about the Magic taking a kid from high-school on draft night over Okafor are never going to change that.

And Dwight obviously didn't put the money up for the arena, but the mood and effect those Magic teams had on this city at the time had a huge impact. That stadium voting and debate was close; and it wouldn't have taken much to sway it. Having a nationally recognized team with title hopes had a lot to do with the way it went, and that was all Dwight.

Dwight took ****ty advice from his inner-circle, and handled his departure from town terribly, that is non-debatable.

But neither is his legacy with the Magic. If anything, the only legacy Magic fans have right now is that of the jilted fan-base that only shows up to boo it's ex-players and not cheer its current ones.

• Upvote 2

Obviously I disagree. Dwight would have taken off as a superstar on any team in the NBA: he's a freakish talent. Morons like Dick Vitale yelling about the Magic taking a kid from high-school on draft night over Okafor are never going to change that.

And Dwight obviously didn't put the money up for the arena, but the mood and effect those Magic teams had on this city at the time had a huge impact. That stadium voting and debate was close; and it wouldn't have taken much to sway it. Having a nationally recognized team with title hopes had a lot to do with the way it went, and that was all Dwight.

Dwight took ****ty advice from his inner-circle, and handled his departure from town terribly, that is non-debatable.

But neither is his legacy with the Magic. If anything, the only legacy Magic fans have right now is that of the jilted fan-base that only shows up to boo it's ex-players and not cheer its current ones.

Wow... Your confused.

Howard: "Even though it’s only been a year, I’ve forgiven the people that I needed to forgive. Hopefully the fans can forgive me for how the situation ended. But my love for the city will never change.’’

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/dentons-dish-5th-quarter-3514

according to this, forgiveness was/is needed from both sides (Howard & Magic fans) … who did he have to forgive? and what for? the author suggests SVG & Otis ...

Id rather see a humorous tribute to Marc Acres or Jarryl Sasser than give Dwight a tribute this early. Are they preparing a tribute for Otis Smith and Dave Turdzik next? This tribute is a slap in the face to long term Magic fans. The management should have a BACKBONE and call the guy a phony punk like he is.

Agreed. You are absolutely correct, it is a slap in the face to Magic fans. Management should be ashamed of themselves. Couldn't imagine other franchises doing this so soon after he Benedict Arnold his way out of here.