Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

What in the Magic's history suggests they could "EVER"

I have to give Junkie credit for one thing. He can spark up a conversation.

San Antonio's success is mostly Tim Duncan. Remove him and you probably have an over-achievers who can get into the playoffs but do not do much while there. Probably the Bulls without Rose.

No it's not. Does Tim Duncan make it without Parker (drafted 28th) or Ginobli (drafted 57th)? absolutely not. That's what we failed to do. We wasted picks on Orton, Harper, Liggins, etc. If Duncan doesn't have those guys maybe he bolts too.

No it's not. Does Tim Duncan make it without Parker (drafted 28th) or Ginobli (drafted 57th)? absolutely not. That's what we failed to do. We wasted picks on Orton, Harper, Liggins, etc. If Duncan didn't have those guys maybe he bolts too.

if you're gonna talk about botched draft picks, you can't leave out the granddaddy of em all Fran Vazquez at number 11...

Not convinced past drafting is a good predictor of future drafting under a new GM? In fact I'd argue it's completely irrelevant. Obviously SA has clearly been exponentially more efficient than Orlando to this point but, much like this thread, I'm having a hard time understanding the relevance moving forward.

No it's not. Does Tim Duncan make it without Parker (drafted 28th) or Ginobli (drafted 57th)?

Well, Duncan won his first title before either of those guys were in the league, and he won his second title when Parker was a mediocre second year player and Ginobli was a rookie. And Duncan had one of the most singularly dominant post-season runs that year of any player in league history, so.... yes?

Well, Duncan won his first title before either of those guys were in the league, and he won his second title when Parker was a mediocre second year player and Ginobli was a rookie. And Duncan had one of the most singularly dominant post-season runs that year of any player in league history, so.... yes?

Not to butt in... David Robinson was a beast with Timmy. Plus they won on a lockout year.. Right?

Not convinced past drafting is a good predictor of future drafting under a new GM? In fact I'd argue it's completely irrelevant. Obviously SA has clearly been exponentially more efficient than Orlando to this point but, much like this thread, I'm having a hard time understanding the relevance moving forward.

Don't look now, but we agree on something assuming your first sentence wasn't meant to be a question.

San Antonio has been fantastic in the draft. One of, if not the best team in terms of identifying late pick talent. No one would say otherwise I think. I believe, one of the first things our new GM did was beef up our scouting department. There is no reason to link him and future drafting potential to past drafts of the Magic.

You might as well say Hennigan sucks because Otis was a bad GM.

DOM already touched on this but do we not remember Tony Parker being benched for Speedy Claxton during their 2nd or 3rd title and the Spurs then offering Kidd a max contract to replace Parker. These guys were developed and brought along in the system but that only exists because of Duncan and to a certain extent Pop.

Not to butt in... David Robinson was a beast with Timmy. Plus they won on a lockout year.. Right?

The year of Duncan's second title, DRob was broken down and averaging 8.5/8 on below average efficiency. He was basically Rasho with better defense at that point.

And they won the first one in the lockout year, yes. but I'm not sure why that's relevant to the second one, which is the one I was talking about.

Don't look now, but we agree on something assuming your first sentence wasn't meant to be a question.

San Antonio has been fantastic in the draft. One of, if not the best team in terms of identifying late pick talent. No one would say otherwise I think. I believe, one of the first things our new GM did was beef up our scouting department. There is no reason to link him and future drafting potential to past drafts of the Magic.

You might as well say Hennigan sucks because Otis was a bad GM.

Lol, that's strange! The first sentence was intended to be a statement. I rearranged that sentence a couple times and accidentally left it as a question. ;)

I feel like we're splitting hairs here. We can discount the first two titles since yes, Parker and Ginobli weren't really around. But after that? they were a huge part of the regular season success and in the conversation of being legitimate title contenders year in/year out. Tim Duncan, as awesome as he has been, would simply not win as much if it weren't for Parker and Ginobli being around. If you replace those guys with even slightly above average players, they don't win as many games in the regular season which affects their seeding, which affects possible outcomes in the playoffs. Going back to the main point, I feel the Spurs do have some organizational method that has allowed them to draft guys in late rounds that have either contributed heavily to their success, or used in some other way to reach their goals. For example, George Hill was drafted in the 2nd round, developed, and then later traded for Kawhi Leonard. Also the Spurs haven't picked in the lottery in more than a decade yet still manage to field a team that is (real) title contender. Once you get that superstar, it seems like teams don't know what to do afterwards: Cleveland, Orlando, Toronto, Denver, Utah, etc.

The year of Duncan's second title, DRob was broken down and averaging 8.5/8 on below average efficiency. He was basically Rasho with better defense at that point.

And they won the first one in the lockout year, yes. but I'm not sure why that's relevant to the second one, which is the one I was talking about.

Then there's the matter of the following two championship runs, wherein Manu and Parker where huge in 05' and 07' (Manu particularly in 05' and Parker in both). Not saying this means the Spurs have a magical blueprint for success, just that we shouldn't downplay the impact those guys had.