Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Our Best Asset

I think we got a superb deal. The goal was to rebuild and we got players with a lot of upside + picks and a fringe all star that has trade value.

I don't think having discussions about semantics or philosophy will achieve anything.

the Knicks will make the playoffs. As horrible as they've been they are only behind 3.5 games of the #8 spot. They'll make it kicking and screaming. The Lakers pick...too far out to tell. Because it is so heavily protected, even if the Lakers are horrible, they won't have to convey the pick to us. We could end up with two 2nd round picks. None of the picks the other teams got had such strict protections.

I'm not ignoring them. Vuc was the 16th pick, and Harkless 15th. What's the normal expectation (and value) of guys picked in that range? It's not as high as #3 pick Derrick Favors for example. Or as high as the potential Galinari showed in 1.5 seasons of play. We didn't get that level of talent in this trade.

You can't say that i'm shifting the narrative when you type something like this. Outside of Afflalo, NOBODY knew who or what the other players were. Vuc was a backup center (nothing special), and Harkless played C in college. Afflalo was the best player in the trade!

For what it's worth, I really liked Vucevic's game coming out of USC. He was one of the few Euro bigmen I felt good about over the last few years because he showed the ability to be productive in an American style of basketball. I figured he had a good shot to become who he is now but 3 or 4 years from now.

It's not like Vucevic was gortat. He averaged 17 and 10 his junior year on a mediocre USC team and led the PAC-10 in rebounding.

As a rookie, In the 15 games he played between 20-29 minutes he averaged 10 and 7. He wasn't unknown. Just a guy without minutes.

People keep mentioning harkless at C like he was recruited to play center. He played center out of necessity because he was the tallest player on the team. That St. John's team was terrible, only had 1 upper classman in the rotation, played 8 player rotations. Harkless was forced to play 36 minutes per game.

That's one of the main reasons I was excited to get Harkless. As an 18 year old a guy played almost every minute of every game in a position he wasn't recruited to play against a big east schedule featuring opponents like Andre Dummmond, Gorgui Deng, Anthony Davis, Mason Plumlee, Fab Melo.

And against all of those players he was still productive.

Playing out of position killed his draft value. You stick him at small forward on a better team and he puts up 30 and 13 against duke and he is a top 10 pick.

Scouts know who these players are.

Also, here's the last few picks before harkless at #15. Kawhi Leonard, Larry sanders, Austin Daye, Robin Lopez, Rodney Stuckey, Cedric Simmons. That's a pretty good chance of getting a productive player.

Ibn, here's the good news:

I'd have us pull off a trade that originally looks awful but turns out to be great ... rather than pull off a trade that originally looks great and turns out to be awful. That's pure genius, my friend, and is exactly the point made by Bill Simmons (via Emory) and here: http://bleacherrepor...summer-of-2012. Henny fleeced LA, Denver and Philly, and he was dealt both a hurt egomaniac and bad salary cap situation. That's great GM poker, in my book.

EDIT: Link above doesn't work. Google search: "With Howard and Iguodala Moving On, Orlando Magic Officially Win Summer of 2012"

Ibn, here's the good news:

I'd have us pull off a trade that originally looks awful but turns out to be great ... rather than pull off a trade that originally looks great and turns out to be awful. That's pure genius, my friend, and is exactly the point made by Bill Simmons (via Emory) and here: http://bleacherrepor...summer-of-2012. Henny fleeced LA, Denver and Philly, and he was dealt both a hurt egomaniac and bad salary cap situation. That's great GM poker, in my book.

That link appears to be broken, at least for me.

Its going to take a good deal to pry Afflalo! I believe he will be traded at some point, maybe not this season. By the time we hit our next window, I don't think he'll around.

As with Bynum, did Henny suspect Bledoe's serious knee troubles??? I don't know, but once again, Henny looks wise in my book. Wonder what Ford would say now.

Also, here's the last few picks before harkless at #15. Kawhi Leonard, Larry sanders, Austin Daye, Robin Lopez, Rodney Stuckey, Cedric Simmons. That's a pretty good chance of getting a productive player.

Is it just me or does it seem like #15 has been more productive a draft slot than others...like 11 for example? I may be too general in my approach but I have thought that maybe there are higher value areas in the draft. Just after the lotto, somewhere in the 20's, and in the 5-7 range as well for examples.

I agree on Hark out of college, he looked great.