Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

there's thing called the cap. and luxury tax.

if we have to resign vucevic, and harkless, and harris, and eventually oladipo where is the money going to come to resign Biyombo? and spending on a guy like Biyombo means we can't spend in other places or acquire other free agents. You've already acknowledged you wouldn't give up a 1st round pick (or maybe you will, your ambivalence means you're noncommittal, so either way you're not "wrong" so to speak). But apparently he's worth enough to be extended (he'll get 7-8m a year based on history). So do you really think he's worth spending a big chunk of cap space on? And no mixed responses.

But of course, he's only 21 and athletic and bla bla bla things that are absolutely irrelevant to the discussion now. Even if he is as athletic as you say he is, it sure hasn't shown up in the box score the past 2 years. How long is his athleticism going to take to kick in? Anthony Davis' athleticism kicked in the second he got into the league. That is someone you can point to and say "yea he could be a game changer eventually," not a guy like Biyombo.

Good God man, I've said three times now I would give up our second first rounder...please stop. Of course I'd hope to give up less because I have a fully functioning brain, but yes I'd do it. As far as cap and luxury tax goes, this organization has shown a willingness to go above the salary cap and pay the luxury tax penalty, and assuming he's worth it, I believe we will again. I'm not an actual GM believe it or not, so I would trust Henny on the timing of signings and who will or won't be here (there's no franchise player on this team and no guarantee anyone of these guys will be here long term, as much as we "like" them). As for the other part, I cannot absolutely guarantee he is going to become the defensive player I think he might just as much as you can't say he absolutely won't. If he does then he's probably worth 7-9M per, if not then he obviously isn't.

Since I've answered all your questions please do me the courtesy of giving me actual names of players you like at 18-23 in the upcoming draft without brushing the question aside. Thanks

Since I've answered all your questions please do me the courtesy of giving me actual names of players you like at 18-23 in the upcoming draft without brushing the question aside. Thanks

Well, since the NCAA season hasn't even started, it's hard to guess who will be slotted to go where in next year's draft, and I know I'm not the one you asked this question to, but based on the players ranked 18th or higher on Chad Ford's current top 100, I'd absolutely take Sam Dekker, Isaiah Austin, Jerami Grant, Vasilije Micic, Jahii Carson, and Alex Poythress over him without even thinking about it. And there really isn't anyone on that list from 15 to about #40 that I think I'd take Biyombo over. And there is certainly no one on that list I'd rather have less at 9m over the next 4 years than having Biyombo at almost 7m for the next two, followed by a 5.2m QO.

We haven't had this much Bismack Biyombo nonsense since Jareth left

Fearing his return, I recommend we change the subject post haste.

Magicblue, I suggest we package that pick with a player to move up in the draft. Or move it for a future draft consideration that might be better. I guess it depends on where it falls. Right now Denver looks terrible and if Carmelo goes down or NY underperforms we could be looking at a better pick.

you can't say he absolutely won't.

Yes, Yes I can. So far I have seen nothing special from Biyombo (no breakout games, no elite display of athleticism, no skill around the basket, nothing). Everything I have seen from him indicates a rotation level big man, who you want to trade a 1st round pick for and extend to 7m a year salary (and not be able to sign better players, further handicapping the team). And if in the future he does somehow learn to put the ball in the hoop, I'd still be right because at this time he can't do any of the above. I'd even argue that, the only reason Biyombo even sees the floor (besides injuries) is because he is an above average athlete. Further, the bobcats signed Al Jefferson, drafted Zeller, and traded for McRoberts. Lol, I don't even think the bobcats organization is this high on Biyombo.

As for other players, I really don't know and TBH, it's completely irrelevant. Even if we draft unknown player on a rookie salary, and even if he isn't good, we can always waive him or trade him and move on. We won't be able to unload an extended Bismack Biyombo without taking back equal garbage. And we lose the pick, which we could have used in another deal. In short, it's a terrible waste of an asset.

What has Biyombo done to make you think he can be a game changer defensively? I'm seriously baffled by this.

Outside of blocking a few shots, his defensive numbers are all not especially good, and his advanced defensive metrics are pretty lousy. Even that blogger that was quoted earlier was giving Biyombo huge credit for 2 blocks and 9 rebounds, which are pretty ho-hum numbers for a starting center, especially one who just played 37 minutes. Is it just that he's athletic? Because Tyrus Thomas was athletic, and teams wasted a really long time and a lot of money waiting for him to suddenly turn into a useful NBA player.

Note: I've gone back and fixed the blocked shot mistake.

Call it a hunch or just a gut feeling. Seriously, I've done my best to explain why I believe he can be, but bottom line is it's just my best guess. I find it interesting that we're putting so much weight on the opines of random nameless bloggers in this discussion, but since we are, didn't the same guy also say he felt Biyombo was the player of the game on that particular night?

Edit: He did, I went back and checked Ibn's post

Yes, Yes I can. So far I have seen nothing special from Biyombo (no breakout games, no elite display of athleticism, no skill around the basket, nothing). Everything I have seen from him indicates a rotation level big man, who you want to trade a 1st round pick for and extend to 7m a year salary (and not be able to sign better players, further handicapping the team). And if in the future he does somehow learn to put the ball in the hoop, I'd still be right because at this time he can't do any of the above. I'd even argue that, the only reason Biyombo even sees the floor (besides injuries) is because he is an above average athlete. Further, the bobcats signed Al Jefferson, drafted Zeller, and traded for McRoberts. Lol, I don't even think the bobcats organization is this high on Biyombo.

As for other players, I really don't know and TBH, it's completely irrelevant. Even if we draft unknown player on a rookie salary, and even if he isn't good, we can always waive him or trade him and move on. We won't be able to unload an extended Bismack Biyombo without taking back equal garbage. And we lose the pick, which we could have used in another deal. In short, it's a terrible waste of an asset.

So again, no names. It's irrelevant why? Oh that's right, because you say so. Perfect for you. As far as the rest, I assume you're the one guy who knew Detroit was getting the better end of the Grant Hill/Ben Wallace deal since you obviously have the power and insight to see the future. What a wonderful gift! If I had known that I would have given up this debate several posts ago. That said, I'm sure we all agree its time to move on...this is going nowhere rather quickly.

Fearing his return, I recommend we change the subject post haste.

Magicblue, I suggest we package that pick with a player to move up in the draft. Or move it for a future draft consideration that might be better. I guess it depends on where it falls. Right now Denver looks terrible and if Carmelo goes down or NY underperforms we could be looking at a better pick.

True. I am not against this strategy, especially if Henny has someone targeted in say the late lottery. Although in this draft it might be tough since everyone has such chubs over it (not Dom or Ibn directed, just in general) .

Well, since the NCAA season hasn't even started, it's hard to guess who will be slotted to go where in next year's draft, and I know I'm not the one you asked this question to, but based on the players ranked 18th or higher on Chad Ford's current top 100, I'd absolutely take Sam Dekker, Isaiah Austin, Jerami Grant, Vasilije Micic, Jahii Carson, and Alex Poythress over him without even thinking about it. And there really isn't anyone on that list from 15 to about #40 that I think I'd take Biyombo over. And there is certainly no one on that list I'd rather have less at 9m over the next 4 years than having Biyombo at almost 7m for the next two, followed by a 5.2m QO.

You may be right DoM. I'll definitely keep an eye on those guys

Call it a hunch or just a gut feeling. Seriously, I've done my best to explain why I believe he can be, but bottom line is it's just my best guess. I find it interesting that we're giving so much weight to the opines of random nameless bloggers in this discussion, but since we are, didn't the same guy also say he felt Biyombo was the player of the game on that particular night?

I don't think many people argue that he would bring something to this team. I think everyone has issue with how you value him. He's not worth that salary and definitely not worth a first round pick in this draft.

I don't think many people argue that he would bring something to this team. I think everyone has issue with how you value him. He's not worth that salary and definitely not worth a first round pick in this draft.

There's probably someone out there who agrees with how I value him, but yes, clearly the three individuals voicing their dissenting opinions in this thread don't...which is fine. I'm ready to move on, this horse has been beaten enough already.

There's probably someone out there who agrees with how I value him, but yes, clearly the three individuals voicing their dissenting opinions in this thread don't...which is fine. I'm ready to move on, the horse has been beaten enough already.

Really. Really?

Ok I meant everyone who has posted in this particular string of discussion in this particular thread. Not everyone in existence. Bismack probably thinks he's worth $7 million per year so great there's your one person which apparently discredits my whole argument.

I'm throwing you a bone here. I'm implying that you are appropriately identifying a problem area on this team but you have your values wrong.