Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

Don't know when he comes off his rookie contract, but Bismack Biyombo is a guy I really like and would like to see us obtain through FA or possibly trade. Charlotte has a fairly deep front court with Jefferson and Cody Zeller on board and he's seemingly going to be the odd man out once Jefferson returns from injury. He's raw, but very athletic and a great shot blocker...he's got a little Ibaka in him and I like that. Seems like a guy that would be on Henny's radar...young, athletic, and fits a need moving forward. I'd actually trade our 2nd 2014 first rounder for him (prefer not to, but would) as there's no one in this draft in the late teens/early twenties that brings what I believe Biyombo could for us.

Noooo

Bismack Biyombo? No thanks. I'd never give up (any) 1st round pick for him.

How about explaining why? Guys like Biyombo don't grow on trees, I respectfully disagree

How about explaining why? Guys like Biyombo don't grow on trees, I respectfully disagree

Biyombo's rebound rate is below average for a center, even in limited minutes, he doesn't defend well outside of the occasional blocked shot, and he's so useless on offense that his team is basically playing 4 on 5 when he's on the court.

So he has little actual value as it relates to basketball.

Biyombo's rebound rate is below average for a center, even in limited minutes, he doesn't defend well outside of the occasional blocked shot, and he's so useless on offense that his team is basically playing 4 on 5 when he's on the court.

So he has little actual value as it relates to basketball.

He's also 21 and if my memory serves me has only been playing basketball for a few years. As a 20 yr old last season he averaged 9.75 rbs/36 min (Ibaka averaged 8.9 rbs/36min) and 2.4 blks/36 mins (Ibaka averaged 3.5 blks/36 mins) which I would guess is above average for a PF/C. He's obviously raw and needs to improve in all areas (in particular offensively), but you add a guy like Biyombo for what he could be in a couple years, not for what he is now. I'd be willing to bet he's already on Henny's radar, with his involvement in drafting Ibaka in OKC and his knack for finding diamonds in the rough (Vuc/Tobias).

He's also 21 and if my memory serves me has only been playing basketball for a few years. As a 20 yr old last season he averaged 9.75 rbs/36 min (Ibaka averaged 8.9 rbs/36min) and 2.4 blks/36 mins (Ibaka averaged 3.5 blks/36 mins) which I would guess is above average for a PF/C. He's obviously raw and needs to improve in all areas (in particular offensively), but you add a guy like Biyombo for what he could be in a couple years, not for what he is now. I'd be willing to bet he's already on Henny's radar, with his involvement in drafting Ibaka in OKC and his knack for finding diamonds in the rough (Vuc/Tobias).

so let me see if I have this correct.

you've acknowledged he has no offensive game. You've also acknowledged he is raw. Yet you say we should trade him because what he "could be." Please tell us what he could be other than a one-dimensional player. And before you make the regular "he's young omg potential" argument, please note that Michael Carter-Williams is 22 and has probably had more of an impact in his first 3 games as a pro than Biyombo [ever] has.

I mean, why would you want to give up a 1st round pick for a guy like Biyombo? 2nd round maybe, but Bobcats wouldn't do that. This is what you get from Biyombo:

Bismack Biyombo, in my opinion, was the player of the night. Some people will argue that it was Kemba. But in a game that had no Al Jefferson (out with a right ankle injury), Biyombo really stepped up in his absence. He did what he should be doing with the large amount of minutes he got. In 37 minutes, he collected nine rebounds, had 11 points and blocked two shots. This is exactly the performance the Bobcats want to see from him, rebounding the ball at both ends, scoring the ball efficiently (5-6 shooting on the night) and playing solid defensive ball.

Even some random blogger acknowledges he's nothing more than defensive guy. His praise for Biyombo only reinforces everything about him (11 pts/9 rebs/2 blocks in 37 minutes, bravo).

so let me see if I have this correct.

you've acknowledged he has no offensive game. You've also acknowledged he is raw. Yet you say we should trade him because what he "could be." Please tell us what he could be other than a one-dimensional player. And before you make the regular "he's young omg potential" argument, please note that Michael Carter-Williams is 22 and has probably had more of an impact in his first 3 games as a pro than Biyombo [ever] has.

I mean, why would you want to give up a 1st round pick for a guy like Biyombo? 2nd round maybe, but Bobcats wouldn't do that. This is what you get from Biyombo:

Even some random blogger acknowledges he's nothing more than defensive guy. His praise for Biyombo only reinforces everything about him (11 pts/9 rebs/2 blocks in 37 minutes, bravo).

My exact quote was "I'd actually trade our 2nd 2014 first rounder for him (prefer not to, but would)". I'm not suggesting we run out and give away the farm for the guy, but what do you see on the board that is more attractive at say 18-23 (please be specific) in the upcoming draft that doesn't duplicate talent we already have? Assuming 11/9/2 is his ceiling I don't know of anyone in this years draft (aside from maybe McGary?) with our second pick that is a sure thing to come close to that line. Also please explain to me what's wrong with having a defensive minded guy in the middle who can protect the rim (something Vuc can't/doesn't do) and rebound the ball? There's a place on championship contending teams for role players like Biyombo who have a very specific skill set (rebounding/defense/blocking shots)...just ask Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman (and no I'm not comparing Biyombo to these guys yet, but he is 21 and should improve at least marginably).

What do you all think of Hayward? And when is Parsons a FA?

Would be a fan favorite instantly since he's the hometown kid. We'd have to pay a hefty contract to get him but I will take him over hark but hark looked good against the pelicans it would be hard to get him up if he could develop an outside shot

My exact quote was "I'd actually trade our 2nd 2014 first rounder for him (prefer not to, but would)". I'm not suggesting we run out and give away the farm for the guy, but what do you see on the board that is more attractive at say 18-23 (please be specific) in the upcoming draft that doesn't duplicate talent we already have? Assuming 11/9/2 is his ceiling I don't know of anyone in this years draft (aside from maybe McGary?) with our second pick that is a sure thing to come close to that line. Also please explain to me what's wrong with having a defensive minded guy in the middle who can protect the rim (something Vuc can't/doesn't do) and rebound the ball? There's a place on championship contending teams for role players like Biyombo who have a very specific skill set (rebounding/defense/blocking shots)...just ask Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman (and no I'm not comparing Biyombo to these guys yet, but he is 21 and should improve at least marginably).

I really don't know who will be available (nor is it relevant). I'd rather have unknown late pick than Bismack Biyombo who you'll have to probably pay 6x as much in a couple seasons while providing similar production. Hell andrew nicholson was a late pick and I'd take him over Biyombo in heartbeat, and that is no praise for Nicholson. Not to mention paying Biyombo means we can't keep other talent like Harkless or Vuc or Harris. And if we don't extend him, well the hell did we trade him for?

The rest of your post really doesn't make sense. Yes you need someone who can protect the rim. Someone like DPOY Tyson Chandler. Is Biyombo at that level? No. Will he ever be at that level to make a substantial difference? probably not. So why are we discussing this again?